PDA

View Full Version : Fear Victory preventing Military Victory

MikeLemmer
01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I keep trying to get a Military Victory in a sector, but every time I naturally get a Fear Victory first due to the number of enemy ships I blow up. It's gotten to the point where I spend more time avoiding a Fear Victory than achieving Military Victory. This latest sector, I'm forced to weaken enemy planets via sabotage and rescue ships of any race because I'm already 75% to the Fear Victory condition and there's still one race to destroy.

How can I achieve a Military Victory without reaching the Fear Victory condition first? (I would like to do it without draining all my credits sabotaging the enemy race, too.)

MikeLemmer
01-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Alright, 7 hours into another sector and hitting the same problem:

1. My Fear Victory is at 202/225.
2. There are 2 races opposing my ally. One is nearly dead, the other is about even with my ally. (They each have 15 planets and 60 ships.)
3. My ally just can't seem to finish off the nearly-dead race's planet.

From a quick test, it seems killing one enemy race's ship raises my Fear by 1. That means if I help kill 23 enemy ships, I can't get a Military Victory. I assume your Fear also rises if you kill powerful enemies... which basically means I have almost no chance of getting a Military Victory. Again.

I wish it was easier to drop your Fear Rating. Rescuing ships should drop it more than -2.0, and running supplies, gifts, and diplomats to planets should drop it as well. That way, a player nurturing a race into dominance would get a Military Victory, while a player blowing everything up and demanding tribute would get a Fear Victory.

PixelLord
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Personally, I'd like to see an option to pick your win condition when you start a sector. You could play the multiple win conditions (as it is now) or pick a specific win condition. Then picking military win would take all the others out of play.

MikeLemmer
01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd rather not lock out victories permanently, in case I need to switch tactics halfway through a sector; I just want a way to avoid getting a Fear Victory if I'm pushing for a Military Victory.

nox
01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
So, die once. You will get a military victory.

MikeLemmer
01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
You mind elaborating? How does dying once secure a Military victory? Does your Fear Rating drop if you die?

nox
01-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Doesn't fear victory require you not dying?

MikeLemmer
01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Nope. I've died multiple times & still gotten a Fear Victory. It may drop your Fear Rating a bit, but I never checked.

nox
01-15-2013, 11:37 PM
My bad then. =)

Terraziel
01-16-2013, 04:30 AM
To add some specifics to this
Dying lowers your fear victory points by 2.5. which is pitiful given that each planet you destroy is worth 2 points, and each race ship 1.

To me it seems like the fear victory needs to be branched out more, as it stands it's too close to a military victory.

A couple of initial thoughts were, A) make fear victories require you to be a "lone wolf", so no treaties of any kind with the races. and/or B) place an emphasis on destroying "civilian" ships (colony ships, transports, diplomatic ships) over military by removing the fear points gain for military ships.

MikeLemmer
01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
I could see A being a viable requirement; why fear someone allied with you? B is trickier, since destroying "civilian" ships would be a fearful thing. Instead, I would make supply-running quests lower Fear. Why would you fear someone that's running vital supplies to your planets?