PDA

View Full Version : Archer skill tree - tips?

Jorlen
05-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I've always liked playing ranged characters, but I can't get the hang of them in Din's Curse. No matter what I do, I end up feeling underwhelming.

Since I create hybrids mostly, I wanted to know what skills you all find useful in the "archer" tree (not ranger as a whole, just the archer tree). Or, if you find the "hunter" tree more useful (as it does enable bows as well).

Can anyone post some advice on skills, equipment to go with it, etc?

Thanks!

DeathKnight1728
05-03-2010, 02:12 PM
It depends on what you want to achieve. Archer is mostly better in a lot of ways.
However, the hunter is able to survive a lot longer and easier than the archer can due to his lone wanderer nature which is boosted through the skill-lighttouch. That skill will give you the ability to choose which fights you want to participate in by semi-invisibility. Then you put points into find food and you can survive for a longer amount of time without going back to town. Finally you have both cold trap and net trap which both can slow down the enemy when you are fighting mages and other pests and give you a retreat. Offensive wise, there is a lot you can do with serrated shot. It is one of the best physical damage types.

As for the archer, they are better at doing more damage due to the high elemental dmg of all their skills. Lightning shot is good for solo bosses due to stun, whereas the explosive arrow is excellent for large groups. What makes the archer better at having more damage is that it is a very offensive class. It has 2 masteries- Bow mastery and Eagle Eye. In my opinion, the archer is good, but i like the hunter better. My hunter/assassin is having an easy time through most of the game.

Whatever you do, if you're going with the archer than go with one of the classes that provides a bonus to your skill. Lightningshot-sorcerer, etc. On the other hand, if your going to go with the hunter, then pick a class that can benefit the defensive nature of the hunter.

Jorlen
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
It depends on what you want to achieve. Archer is mostly better in a lot of ways.
However, the hunter is able to survive a lot longer and easier than the archer can due to his lone wanderer nature which is boosted through the skill-lighttouch. That skill will give you the ability to choose which fights you want to participate in by semi-invisibility. Then you put points into find food and you can survive for a longer amount of time without going back to town. Finally you have both cold trap and net trap which both can slow down the enemy when you are fighting mages and other pests and give you a retreat. Offensive wise, there is a lot you can do with serrated shot. It is one of the best physical damage types.

As for the archer, they are better at doing more damage due to the high elemental dmg of all their skills. Lightning shot is good for solo bosses due to stun, whereas the explosive arrow is excellent for large groups. What makes the archer better at having more damage is that it is a very offensive class. It has 2 masteries- Bow mastery and Eagle Eye. In my opinion, the archer is good, but i like the hunter better. My hunter/assassin is having an easy time through most of the game.

Whatever you do, if you're going with the archer than go with one of the classes that provides a bonus to your skill. Lightningshot-sorcerer, etc. On the other hand, if your going to go with the hunter, then pick a class that can benefit the defensive nature of the hunter.

Thanks for posting such a well written and detailed response!

I had never looked at Serrated shot before, but now I wil consider it. My goal for this new character is to combine healer / archer or healer / hunter. Playing online the other day with no other healers in teh group made me realize that I like being in a support role (i.e. able to heal) and also it's nice to heal yourself solo as well.

I'm a big fan of passives, and like you mentioned (something I hadn't realize) the archer has two excellent passives (bow mastery / eagle eye). Fast draw would be nice, but I don't usually like short buffs with a high cooldown period (and there are several in this game) otherwise some sort of a passive or better speed-up would be nice, considering firing arrows seems slow in this game when compared to other action RPGs I've played.

I suppose I'll have to try out the traps, I hadn't really tried the ice / net one. But the more I think of it, the more healer / archer sounds like a good combo. I might try out both just to see what suits my style better.

DeathKnight1728
05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
No problem. If you are going the healer path, it will be pretty fun if you go either way. Just remember to go with the combination that can help you the most in those fights where you can't heal.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Work is out early today, heh :D

Jorlen
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
No problem. If you are going the healer path, it will be pretty fun if you go either way. Just remember to go with the combination that can help you the most in those fights where you can't heal.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Work is out early today, heh :D

Yeah for sure. The hunter skills certainly add to survivability. LIke the stamina to mana conversion, traps, light touch (which sounds good btw). I'm just more inclined to want to balance survivability, utility and DPS and I think the archer tree is probably fairly high on the bow DPS due to the passives.

Work is slow here today too, glad I can at least browse the forums to kill some time :)

DeathKnight1728
05-03-2010, 04:55 PM
You know what would be interesting, since were talking class-mixes. I'm not sure if there's a skill like haste, but something that makes your character run super fast and attack super fast...like haste. There are two halfies of it. The weaponmaster has adrenaline rush which speeds up attacks (Kind of eh). The hunter has a sprint move which allows you to get away real quick (eh). There has to be a mix of both of them. It would be so cool and would add for much more combinations.
The only reason there isnt is probably because it would unbalance the game and make that class the best add-in to other classes. Still....it would be awesome. I don't know, I might have to check the manual again just to see if a class has something like it. There are a lot of classes afterall.

Caal
05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Can anyone post some advice on skills, equipment to go with it, etc?

I have a level 83 hunter/healer, so I might be able to give you a few pointers on that. As I've noted in another post, I think specialization helps. I opted for pure bowman, so my character has level 30 serrated arrow, level 17 lure, and level 15 precision, with a few points in lesser heal, and can handle towns at a +6 level without much trouble.

A bow typically has a dex to strength requirement ratio of 1.5, so I keep my strength and dex in that ratio. Vitality is up to you - I hate dying, so I tend to keep mine a little higher. You shouldn't need much int since serrated arrow and lure only need 8 mana each, but mana is a problem early (maybe up to lv 20 or so), so I had a few early points in prayer, which I later removed. Obviously, get the best DPS bow you can. As far as other equipment goes, I try to focus on dex, strength, and health and mana regen.

Have fun with whatever you try, and don't forget about re-spec if you have skills that aren't working out for you.

Stardusts
05-03-2010, 11:19 PM
so far my fav hybrid is an archer/trickster. He can clear out towns at 10 lv above him with little trouble. With the combination of lighting arrow and stealth he can one shot anything beside unique and boss with a crit (45% at lv50). For survival abilities this hybrid has plenty, 2x evade and 1x dodge for you to invest in- the hit rate from monsters against my char is never above 17%. Lighting arrow also has a stun effect that help you a lot in a boss fight and last but not least the smoke screen ability will let you escape an angry group of monsters, not just one :).

Btw I found a trick with this char that can help you take down impossible super bosses (those who kill you in 1 hit, and run faster than you). Lure him to a gate/ level entrance while spam lighting shot at him (if hes stunned then you can shoot even more). Enter the entrance then recover if you have to and use stealth then jump back. The boss should be deagro'ed and wander near the gate, shoot at him some more and jump through the entrance before he closes in, repeat till the sucker is dead :D.

graffen69
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Stardusts wrote Lighting arrow also has a stun effect
I take it you mean "Shock Bolt"??

DeathKnight1728 wrote I'm not sure if there's a skill like haste, but something that makes your character run super fast and attack super fast...like haste.
Except for the ones you already mentioned, "Stalker" of the Duird tree does just that. But then it also prevents you from using any skills and/or ranged but its a fun build with melee passives like Assasin/Druid, Weaponmaster/Druid or even Defender/Druid for the use of Plate Armor. Personally i think Assasin/Druid is one of the best since i can focus on Dex/Daggers which allow me to have a real high defense and dodge most attacks. Throw in some gear with +weapon speed, haste and his att rate becomes insanly fast. Atm using a sword actually becuz of the lvl 16 Ball Lightning procc effect but im not sure how proccs work in DC. Does any stat affect the chance to procc gear with effects??

DeathKnight1728
05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
An assassin/druid does sound cool. I played as a stalker in the druid side for a little. After a bit, I could tell why you cant use skills in the form. I'm still having fun though with my assassin/hunter though. I still cant decide on what to make a 2nd guy for...but then again I haven't even made it to the next difficulty.