PDA

View Full Version : What have you done!?

Jorlen
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Since I've started playing Din's Curse, I can't seem to stop. Not only that, but I can't seem to play any other games.

I tried firing up Torchlight last night, and while playing, all I wanted to do was go back to Din's Curse and try yet another hybrid class lol. I tried to fight this feeling, but after 20 minutes I gave up and just went back to DC.

I admit, I usually get hooked on games of this sort, but not to this extent. Soldak really nailed the diablo-roguelike elements that I've enjoyed going back almost 20 years (i.e. nethack) and stuck them all in one excellent package. This is what I'm trying to tell other people, this isn't just another diablo clone. DC eats diablo clones for breakfast.

So am I alone? Anyone else thinking of entering a Din's Curse anonymous? lol

PixelLord
05-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I love hearing this sort of stuff!

Although I worked on DOP and KU, they didn't hook me like DC. I too cannot stop playing. But, because I worked on Din, I can't really push it since I would be considered biased. Nonetheless, I've never been so hooked on any game over the past 20 plus years! :)

BTW, this WAS Shadow's goal!

graffen69
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I can only concur.
I was (probably one of the few) who actuaclly enjoyed Titan Quest more then Diablo 2 becuz of the more advanced skill system. D2 (Diablo 2) shaped up quite a bit though with the 1.10 patch that introduced skill sync and braught me back for a while.

Two of the most appealing features of DC for moi is the advanced skill system and the living enviroment & i hope Dinīs Curse (as well as Depths of Peril) inspires other game companies to walk in those lines.

As a side note iīve been following some of the threads in Shadows "External Forum Threads"
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2314
& one thing has struck out above others. A lot of potential would-be DC gamers seem to be dissing the game (as i myself almost did, but i was fortunate enough to read a review that told of the changes made in the full game) cuz the demo (which is using the 0.910 patch) wich is still quite a bit harder then the 1.0 + patch. I said it before, but it would be a shame if gamers like myself would miss this gem of a game becuz of reviews based on the non-full game demo and so i urge for the full game to the be Demo released.
The full game was actually released the very same evening i tried out the demo & i know i woulda hated to miss Dinīs Curse :)

DeathKnight1728
05-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I like Din's Curse, and got hooked to it in the beginning. Fell away from it for a while because of the rough times playing beta :mad: But once the full game was released, I was really like damn...they hit the nail on the head.

But i will say one thing about the people that dislike it. Maybe it was the demo, maybe not. Either way...there's always going to be people that dont like some games and at the same time like something else. And in the case where were talking about: most people go by hi-def graphics, and that's it. It could have some of the greatest features out there (everything they want)....they still wont like it. It's sad but true.

udm
05-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Having played Din's, when I tried Torchlight for the first time, I thought it was an utterly pale attempt at a hack n slash game. The only thing that Din's allows other games an edge in the competition is probably the graphics.

TheRani
05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I got tired of Torchlight and switched back to Titan Quest long before I even tried Din's Curse. Since the Din's Curse beta ended, I haven't even touched Titan Quest. And I Love Titan Quest.

Jorlen
05-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I got tired of Torchlight and switched back to Titan Quest long before I even tried Din's Curse. Since the Din's Curse beta ended, I haven't even touched Titan Quest. And I Love Titan Quest.

Yeah I reinstalled TQ after a long long time having not played it. Played it for 2 hours, came back to Din's Curse.

Turns out Torchlight may have been a waste of $5 since I just can't get into it (luckily I got it on steam sale). The view feels constricted, not enough class choices, and graphics remind me of WoW a little too much. I think I actually enjoyed Fate more...

Din's Curse is the most replayable game of this type for me. It's just so random, I never know what to expect, and anytime I'm tired of my class I just make another oddball hybrid and have a few hours of fun.

If I was rich I'd donate a million to Soldak's development :)

TheRani
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah I reinstalled TQ after a long long time having not played it. Played it for 2 hours, came back to Din's Curse.

Turns out Torchlight may have been a waste of $5 since I just can't get into it (luckily I got it on steam sale). The view feels constricted, not enough class choices, and graphics remind me of WoW a little too much. I think I actually enjoyed Fate more...

Din's Curse is the most replayable game of this type for me. It's just so random, I never know what to expect, and anytime I'm tired of my class I just make another oddball hybrid and have a few hours of fun.

I thought Torchlight was fun. Pretty enough graphics (I like the cartoony look), fun gameplay, etc. Nifty pet. But in the end, there's only 3 characters, and only so many different viable builds you can play with those characters.

Jorlen
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I thought Torchlight was fun. Pretty enough graphics (I like the cartoony look), fun gameplay, etc. Nifty pet. But in the end, there's only 3 characters, and only so many different viable builds you can play with those characters.

Yeah, maybe it's because I'm trying to play it at the same time as Din's Curse. I'll come back to it in a few months with a fresh mind and I'm sure I'll be able to jump in. Right now, I'm too distracted.

PixelLord
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM

This (among other things) is the main reason why I'm playing so much, of course. The replay value is so high for this game. The randomness of level layout, town attacks, events, etc. mimic the real world in so many ways. Sometimes a portal is nearby, sometimes it's in the last possible place to look. I don't know how long it will take for me to tire of it, if ever. Talk about players getting their money's worth!

Jorlen
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
This (among other things) is the main reason why I'm playing so much, of course. The replay value is so high for this game. The randomness of level layout, town attacks, events, etc. mimic the real world in so many ways. Sometimes a portal is nearby, sometimes it's in the last possible place to look. I don't know how long it will take for me to tire of it, if ever. Talk about players getting their money's worth!

Yeah, no kidding. Best $25 I ever spent on a piece of software, for sure. Sadly, I've clocked at least 50 hours in this game since I bought it. Why do I say sadly, well because I only bought it a few weeks ago :)

I can see myself playing this for a long long time, and then coming back to it until Soldak releases their next game :) Hell, I still play rogue games over and over and I've been playing them for years. As far as my PC and consoles go, Din's Curse has replaced them all and raised the bar so high, that my old roguelikes and dungeon crawlers seem almost backwards now.

Din's Curse is what happens when Diablo and Rogue have a baby, along with a genetic mutation (The Peeler touch) that makes it an even better combination! I love the randomness, as you said. Unlike other games who claim "you'll never have the same game twice", Din's Curse actually achieves this by many means. Not only with random maps and treasure, but with random dynamic events, traps, towns, npcs, etc. The 141 class combos via hybrid system on top of it all makes the choices and randomness mind blogging.

I love how monsters will not just sit idly by, waiting for a hero to slay them. They'll kill each other, make themselves stronger, start uprisings, send minions to attack your town, create darkness machines, evil gates, etc. In other games of this type, you can simply sit in town, and wait while you eat your lunch, fully knowing the minions will patiently wait for you, and that you are not in danger. Make that mistake in this game, and the minions will wipe out your town, kill your precious vendors and quest givers, and strengthen their presence in the dungeon.

It's all of these elements that makes me realize what's been missing in other games of this genre over the years. These are some of the truly innovative aspects of Din's Curse that may not be apparent at first glance. The more a person plays, the more these things become obvious and it makes the game so much more fun, it gives it an entire new dimension, and makes it endlessly replayable.

I know I post a lot here and praise the game quite a bit, but it's only because I have not been stricken like this for a very long time. I've been gaming for 24 years and it really is my passion, so I can't help but lay it on thick, specially when a developer nails one of my favorite genres of all time.

Shadow
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I like threads like this. :)