PDA

View Full Version : An idea for outdoor areas - what do you all think?

Jorlen
05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I was thinking about how outdoor areas could be implemented to the already-great Din's Curse game, and wanted to share some ideas and ask you guys what you think.

What if, when you finish a town, you had to travel to the next one, on foot?

During the travelling portion, you'd be in a bigger open outdoor area with perhaps some smaller dungeons (2-4 floors) you could optionally go through, maybe with a chest at the bottom or a nasty boss, with a few guaranteed good pieces of loot.

There would also be enemies outdoors, much like in Depths of Peril, maybe some other wandering NPCs or vendors to offer a few quests.

In this outdoor area, at a random location, there would be a "tunnel to other town" or something like that. It would basically involve going down in a dungeon, and once you emerge from it, you'd get the new town creation screen you usually do when creating a town.

I think a system like this would give some variety to the otherwise "dungeon only" system of Din's Curse. After completing a town, you'd have to wander outdoors for a bit to get to the next one, with some optional stuff to do outdoors if you so choose, instead of just creating town after town. However, for those looking to move on quickly, it would be as simple as finding the tunnel and rushing through it.

Thoughts? Is this idea rubbish? Viable?

Kruztee
05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
This idea has been floated in various forms right from the word go.

I think that most players would like to see something like this added to the game. Perhaps in an expansion? I don't know. Shadow would have to answer that.

From a purely gameplay perspective, I'm not sure that it would change the dynamics of the game very much, and depending on the amount of work that something like this would take, it may or may not be worth the effort. From an aesthetic point of view though, I do agree, especially the overland areas would be welcomed.

graffen69
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, i thaught about it too. Like a mix of Depths/Din. One idea would be that from level 1-25 you save one town next 2 towns etc. and last difficulty the whole Kingdom, however many towns that would be.
But i imagine you get spammed down with constant messages from town events. One solution would be only make the town (or town area) your present at active. But i could see problems arise if you play MP though.

If adding to the size of the World, mebbe best bet is keeping it to one town but add wilderness much as in Depths. A few random portals could cast you across the realm to still keep up the speed of the game.