PDA

View Full Version : Request: Town abandoning or failure to punish players

udm
05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
As I played through DC, while there was a great sense of urgency earlier on to save every town possible, eventually that fell as a priority, especially in towns which were doomed right from the start, and had the Cursed modifier. There wasn't enough motivation for me to go out and save these towns. I could just abandon them and start anew, no penalty besides increasing the number of towns abandoned by 1 and some minor Reputation loss.

But if there was a modifier that I selected when choosing a town, that would be a different story entirely - a modifier that made me lose mucho Reputation, maybe even XP too, if I chose to abandon a town or failed to save it. I think it'd make players fear losing the town even more. In return, though, having a higher modifier allows the player to gain more XP, so it's a risky trade off. Players can choose to either stick with the normal modifier, whereby losing a town just loses some Reputation, or set it to a higher level, so losing a town penalizes you severely in return for higher XP gains.

Shadow
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
That could be interesting. I'm not sure if it can be done or not, but I'll look at it.

TheRani
05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Maybe actually losing a town should cause you to go into "Rep debt", kinda like the XP debt you get when you die, causing you to gain rep at a slower pace until you actually succeed at saving another town.

Kruztee
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I think that if you actually go through with the process and "lose" a town, then you're probably already pretty heavily penalised now as it is. But I agree, abandoning a town probably should have some kind of negative consequences as well. AN XP sounds like an excellent idea!

However, there are probably still a couple of bugs that can stop a town from being winnable (such as bosses/items not spawning etc). Might be a good idea to put off any changes until they're well and truly sorted out.

Jorlen
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
I think that if you actually go through with the process and "lose" a town, then you're probably already pretty heavily penalised now as it is. But I agree, abandoning a town probably should have some kind of negative consequences as well. AN XP sounds like an excellent idea!

However, there are probably still a couple of bugs that can stop a town from being winnable (such as bosses/items not spawning etc). Might be a good idea to put off any changes until they're well and truly sorted out.

I've never personally run into any bugs that stop me from winning a town. But yeah, I do agree on being penalized for abandoning one. Although I don't do it, it's way too easy to simply look at the town modifiers, and if they're not to your liking, just rebuild it. I'd think that Din would frown upon this behavior :)

udm
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know how much rep you lose when you lose a town? I've lost a few towns before but I never remembered them having much of an impact on my character.

questiontoask
05-08-2010, 05:39 AM
How do you abandon a town?

graffen69
05-08-2010, 06:32 AM
I too would like to see some kind of penalty for abandoning towns and just restarting. But i think it needs to be very delicate and the level difference of the game and your character should be taken into account, else high level toons might feel reluctant to help lower ones in Multiplayer.

Caal
05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
How do you abandon a town?

You abandon a town by using play instead of resume, picking a character, then creating a new world instead of loading the existing world.

PixelLord
05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
You abandon a town by using play instead of resume, picking a character, then creating a new world instead of loading the existing world.

I tried to get "Abandon Town" added as an in-game menu option but the above way works, of course, and is the only way to do it. The current way makes me really feel like I'm just starting a new game. Personally I'd rather have the abandon town menu option as it make me feel like I'm actually walking out on that town.

Roswitha
05-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I tried to get "Abandon Town" added as an in-game menu option but the above way works, of course, and is the only way to do it. The current way makes me really feel like I'm just starting a new game. Personally I'd rather have the abandon town menu option as it make me feel like I'm actually walking out on that town.

I agree.

Does anybody know if picking Create New World rather than Load Saved Game when setting up a multiplayer game counts as abandoning the saved game town?

If so, maybe they should put Load Saved Game first, and ask "Are you sure you want to abandon this town" if you click Create New World.

skipt
05-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I have the opposite problem, I keep losing towns and having to restart them. I go running back as soon as the battle icon starts flashing, I try to find the gate on each level as fast as I can, but I still keep losing towns.

I must be doing something stupid. I hope I can figure it out pretty soon, as starting a new town all the time is starting to get old.. :(

Jorlen
05-15-2010, 02:35 PM
I have the opposite problem, I keep losing towns and having to restart them. I go running back as soon as the battle icon starts flashing, I try to find the gate on each level as fast as I can, but I still keep losing towns.

I must be doing something stupid. I hope I can figure it out pretty soon, as starting a new town all the time is starting to get old.. :(

You may want to try out the slow pace option, sure you get a 15% penalty in XP gains but dynamic events move slower, sometimes the slower pace is nice for a change.

Also, are you leaving the game unattended without pausing?

PixelLord
05-15-2010, 02:48 PM

To me the key to saving towns is to try and find the level's portal gate as soon as you possibly can. Once found, try to keep in the back of your mind where it is so you can get back to it quickly. Sometimes it's even easier to use the passage to another level if that level's gate is near that entrance. But to save towns you really do need to always keep in mind how to get back quickly. And... no one can do it every time! :)

Also, I hope you are aware that there is a teleport ball located at the left side of your skills menu bar (shown by #26 at this link http://www.stephenhornback.com/id72.html ) that can be used to return you to town one time per town.

skipt
05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will give them a try. (Didn't know about the teleport ball)

Caal
05-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey Stephen - I saw your DC help site. Excellent work! All new players should check this out, and even experienced players might pick up a pointer or two.

Aet
05-16-2010, 06:02 PM
...and ask "Are you sure you want to abandon this town" if you click Create New World.

Ditto this. I was puzzled to see it listed that I had abandoned several towns in my character's stats, as I never have nor would intentionally do such a thing. Lose the town, yes - but not given up and walked away before taking it to the bitter end. Please implement this!

I hope you are aware that there is a teleport ball located at the left side of your skills menu bar (shown by #26 at this link http://www.stephenhornback.com/id72.html ) that can be used to return you to town one time per town.

News to me! I had heard mention of a teleport stone somewhere on the forums, but never anywhere in-game nor how to get/use it. Please include mention of this in the tutorial when a town is attacked!

Wolfox
05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Keep in mind that the teleport stone can only be used one time per world, so use with care.

ecliptic
05-19-2010, 11:40 PM
I had no idea about the teleport ball. That info should probably be added to the in-game tutorial if it isn't already (I didn't see it, but it may not have been there when I started).

Shadow
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I had no idea about the teleport ball. That info should probably be added to the in-game tutorial if it isn't already (I didn't see it, but it may not have been there when I started).

Yeah, I need to add it somewhere.