PDA

View Full Version : Din's Curse AusGamers review

Shadow
05-06-2010, 02:43 PM
We have another Din's Curse review over on AusGamers (http://www.ausgamers.com/games/dins-curse/review/). Here's a quote: Dynamic campaign system adds life the game world. Even each town and dungeon has its own set of special world rules.

udm
05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
The loot system is extensive, with item rarity, dual weapon wielding

Eh? :confused:

Otherwise, good review :)

Also, I noticed this:

Unexplained and invisible barriers requiring, sometimes, a new town to be generated to progress.

Looks like they've run into the invisi-zombie bug too.

Kruztee
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I didn't like this review at all. The reviewer is entitled to his opinion, but I disagree with quite a few points.

"Semi-casual market?" Makes it sound like "Virtual Dungeon Families Match3 Hidden Object Game feat. the god Din"... Surely you jest, sir? Din's Curse is without doubt a hardcore dungeon crawl. You can lose. If he's not losing a few games then he's got the difficulty set too low which might give a more casual experince, but the whole idea of Din's is to present a great customisable challenge to the player. The fear of losing - of death over-running the town - this is not a casual game concept at all.

"Sound effects need beefing up?". Did he even play with sounds on? They're awesome! What about the situational music and the cries for help from lost townspeople just out of view? The nearby rumbling of a chaos lord or the mighty crash of a massive cave-in?? "Beefing up"!?

And, granted, the soulstone approach to death is quite forgiving when you just get careless and get yourself klled by a trash mob. But the amount of times that I've had a good level of experience debt from the old "nah, it's OK - I can kill these guys..." mentality is verging on uncountable. I ragequit, cool down, think about how I should have played, and go back to the game 20 minutes later. It's an excellent mechanic that really does punish careless play. What's the most important thing to most players? I would say that levelleng and gaining experience are the top goals for most. Take away the ability to do that effectively for a period of time? That's a good and fitting punishment for carelessness.

Shadow
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm really not sure where the casual part came from. Kivi is our casual game, DoP & Din definitely are not.

Valgor
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't like this review either... it doesn't sound very professional to me.

"Still, even on the best of rigs, it is obvious this game is shooting for the 10 minute gaming market."
Apparently, any game with low system requirements automatically classifies as a casual game. I guess that's why he's thinking of Din's Curse as some kind of Solitaire replacement.

"[...] character facings are orientated to the three horizontal axis restriction [...]"
Last time I counted, there were only two axes on the horizontal plane... unless I'm missing something here.

As with most of the other reviews, I still wonder why nobody bothers to take a few screenshots of their own while playing the game...
Shadow, I think you should put up some screens from the release version to better represent the finished product on your own screenshot page so the gaming journalist guys don't have to make do with the ones from pre-beta.

Jorlen
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I thought this review was poorly written and not accurate as well. Seems to me like he just wanted to get the review over and done with, there's no heart in it, at all.

I don't think the reviewer played it for more than an hour, if that.

Invisible barriers for example, wtf is he talking about?

I've played this game non-stop since April 20th and I have not seen this. That and the fact he thinks the game is aimed for those wanting a small gaming session. Not sure what he was thinking. I was going to comment on the review but the site requires the browser to be localized in Australia to do so.

At least he gave it a decent score though.

Roswitha
05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Invisible barriers for example, wtf is he talking about?

I ran into this problem when playing the demo. Look on page 5 of the Din's Curse Game forum for a post called Demo bug: invisible barrier. (Sorry, don't know how to link to a post.)

I haven't seen the bug lately. Hopefully it's been fixed. Or maybe I just haven't drawn that tileset.

Jorlen
05-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I ran into this problem when playing the demo. Look on page 5 of the Din's Curse Game forum for a post called Demo bug: invisible barrier. (Sorry, don't know how to link to a post.)

I haven't seen the bug lately. Hopefully it's been fixed. Or maybe I just haven't drawn that tileset.

Surely he wasn't given the demo to review the game, though?

Kruztee
05-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Surely he wasn't given the demo to review the game, though?

It's either

a) not considered a bug

or

b)Shadow just hasn't got around to fixing it as yet.

This phenomena is still reproducable in the 1.01 beta patched version of the game. It does happen with a good deal of frequency to my mostly stealthed rogue. It's annoying because it requires you to break stealth to pass.