PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer observations

Roswitha
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I was playing a multiplayer game hosted by somebody else. He had to leave (not a problem) and exited the game. Predictably, a window popped up saying that the server was unavailable. I clicked on the OK button (several times), but nothing happened. I ended up using ALT-F4 to exit. The odd thing was, while the screen was black except for the message, I could hear music and sound effects in the background. A couple of times I activated my Whirlwind attack and heard the swish, which only happens if there's an enemy there to hit.

Another thing I noticed in this game was a lot of running in place. It happened to me several times. The oddest one was an Undead Herald which I killed. He kept running in place until he faded out. I had a bit of a lag problem, but I don't know if that's relevant.

The other player in the game was a spellcaster (Ice Mage / Healer ?). Sometimes when he was running in town, his mana bar would stretch two or three inches across the screen. When he was holding still, it was no longer than the health bar.

Fun game. :)

Shadow
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
That second issue is probably a lost packet. There are some things we don't guarantee will get from the server to client (like anims). So when the network loses a packet you might see small glitches. Guaranteed data uses up more bandwidth, so it's kind of a balance of what's really important and what's not.

I'll look at the other two issues.