PDA

View Full Version : Noob Help: Equipment every ship should have?

Avarice
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
As the title suggests I'm wondering what equipment every ship should use regardless of race or preference.

For instance power generators are obviously one...

I've got by to level 20 without ever using computers or armor just shields and energy boosting modules, but I don't know if this is a mistake or not.

These choices make certain attributes worthless to get so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Valgor
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
You're right, a power generator is an absolute must, that's why the Fringe are a good choice for a beginner race.
Shields are also very essential, but you can do without them if you prefer lots of armour (which can't be recharged for free at planets and ancient recharge station, though).
Good engines are important as well, although you can use thrusters instead if you play a race that has a medium slot to spare, but mind the additional power load (which engines don't have).
As for weapons, use anything that suits your playstyle, but I'd suggest you keep some mines handy for the times when you're chased by a cluster of missiles or bounty hunters.
A cheap beam weapon for point defense is a good idea later on in the game, since flak and counter-rockets are a bit unreliable.
Finally, reserve your light slots for energy rechargers, additional power load providing components (tesla coils, reactor boosts) and, most importantly, crew members (remember to pay them well,
as they'll gain levels faster when they're at 80-100 happiness).

Bluddy
01-17-2013, 03:50 PM
As I mentioned elsewhere, I find that Deadly Aim, which gives a very high crit boost, a cloaking device, which gives a crit boost and a damage boost, combined with bombs and mines pretty much annihilates everything (including planets) within a couple of hits.

nox
01-17-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't know about 'every ship' - the tactical options are very very wide.

I would say that I have discovered a few general 'avenues' of play - but the only two factors that I find leading all of my ship designs is engineering and tactics.

Engineering because it covers -
- Power generation
- Capacitor Regen / boost / max cap
- Shield Regen / Boost / max cap

Tactical because it covers all offensive weapons and weapon systems.

You can forgo computers completely if you use area effect manually targeted weapons, but obviously that increases your micromanagement significantly.

You can also forgo computers if you rely on fighters. A combination of manually targeted weapons and fighters is very strong albeit not an obvious way to play the game.

I would suggest to a complete newb to plan on :

1) Not raising command too fast. A slow ship with a defense penalty sucks.

2) Think about how you'll protect yourself from missiles. You have a few options (Mines work pretty well, and are useful in general), flak is a tad specific and situational. There are other cool options such as a static field that damages everything around you, and bombs (which are useful but require a bit of micromanagement)

3) you will probably want at least 13 helm for a while, and 21 helm later so that you can put your engines into a middle slot. It takes power that way, but it frees up your heavy slot. I wouldn't put more than that until you have to. You'll only have to put more when you rank your ship up past 3 (which I don't recommend for a long time)

4) Shields by far are the best and most flexible defense. They use engineering, and you can use shield boosters which instantly recharge them. Those are probably overpowered, but for now they are the way to go.

5) Keep an eye out for "emergency energy" light slot items. They give you 660 energy over 30 seconds, or 20 energy a second, every minute. This is what you hammer on when you're out of juice and it will last you until the fight's over. You'll only have 4 light slots if you do things my way, so one is all you get.

So my basic template for a newbie would be -

Heavy slots (3) : Missile, Laser, Power
Medium slots (4) : Shield, engine, Cap boost, [mine/missile defense]
Light slots (4) : Shield power conduit, Emerg energy, 2xcrew

I recommend hunting for truly great crew, you can swap them between ships by trading in multiplayer. The best crew IMO are tactical/engineering + helm or computer. Even better are crew with those AND passive bonuses.

Avarice
01-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies people. :)

I was mainly worried I was doing something wrong by ignoring computers and a few other things.

Seems there are quite a few ways to go about leveling and gearing up.

nox
01-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Lack of computers is not really obvious until about level 15 - you'll start missing more and more with computer aimed weapons.

Open your character page and look at your attack and defense stats. that will show you your chance to evade and to hit.

Valgor
01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
A good alternative to computers are scanners, if you don't miss the defense bonus, since they'll give you additional Critical% .
From the top of my head, I think they also require less Computers (the stat).

nox
01-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Scanners are especially useful for small ships where you aren't dealing with a huge defensive penalty to begin with.

Also if you use stealth and missiles (love it!) you can rely on offensive power rather than damage taking survivability.

Avarice
01-20-2013, 12:17 AM
At what level ranges (in general) do you upgrade your ship?

I'd like a general idea on when to get a bigger ship without *as much* trial and error. :)

nox
01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Well I'm level 21 right now and I generally rely on two engineering/tactical crew.

I've upgraded my ship twice, for the two bonus slots in light and medium but I am also using the Fringe ship which has a bonus power generator slot so I can use all three high slots.

At 21 my effective stats are :

51 tactical
27 helm
8 structure
54 engineering (31 base)
5 computers
11 command

I have one crew that is 6 engineering and one that is 11 engineering. My crew are both pretty boring though.

To get another high slot I'd have to upgrade twice more, which would penalize speed and defense. This particular ship uses fighters and bombs. One trick I use, is that I have one very high level fighter and one very low level fighter. To be able to summon the fighters quickly I use a cap extender and an emergency energy.

At level 21 my fighters are level 28, and I can summon 6 of them. I'm probably going to go with Raiders because they summon 4 each slot rather than 3.

I'm not sure when I would upgrade my ship, but not anytime soon. with a small ship I am fast and agile with only 27 helm. I don't really need any more fighters.

I might try this same build with a different race ship - possibly. The racial bonus fighter slot could be useful for me.

Avarice
01-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Level 20 is about as far as I get before I start running into trouble, so your build information is helpful.

I keep starting over a lot and experimenting, trying to learn what I can get away with.

I always reach a point though where I'm short on something...usually power unless I play fringe, then I start falling behind the enemy and getting my butt kicked too easily.

nox
01-20-2013, 02:16 AM
So my build the goal is :

Cloak + speed for evasion

bombs + the ultimate weapon for damage.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a weapon that will generate a vortex that does over a thousand damage. that is my midslot weapon of choice for this ship, but they are rare.

when I blow up planets I get close enouigh for the fighters to engage while cloaked and then I bomb the planet and defenders while the fighters go at it.

for defense I use a single shield + one ... actually here, I can export them..

be aware that the +11 engineering dude I have in there is only there until I can get my engineering up without him. I need that slot for another regen.

Carrier VesselLevel 21 Light Frigate (Fringe)Stats

Shields: 205 / 205
Armor Plating: 0 / 0
Structure: 57 / 57
Energy: 275 / 275

DPS: 46.0
Attack: 96
Defense: 139

Max Speed: 200
Radar: 285

Money: 131,549 credits

Attributes

Tactical: 51
Helm: 27
Structural: 8
Engineering: 54
Computers: 5
Command: 11

Crew points Left: 0

Resistances

Thermal Resistance: 0
Cold Resistance: 0
Radiation Resistance: 0
EM Resistance: 12
Explosion Resistance: 4

Skills

Gunner lvl 1

Equipment

Excellent Interceptor Bay III
Interceptors have increased attack.
Heavy Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Fighter Bay
Durability 112 / 121
+18% Tweaked Find Chance
+156 Power Load
Target: Self

Energy needed: 180
Reuse time: 10 seconds
Ship level: 28
Ship max count: 3

Requires 42 Tactical
Sell value: 244 credits
Retail value: 1,324 credits

Budget Interceptor Bay I
Interceptors have increased attack.
Heavy Component
Rarity: Normal Type: Fighter Bay
Durability 62 / 74
+81 Power Load

Energy needed: 114
Ship level: 17

Requires 25 Tactical
Sell value: 139 credits
Retail value: 726 credits

Superior Photon Bomb I
Heavy Component
Rarity: Normal Type: Bomb
Durability 130 / 138
+214 Power Load
Range: 0 to 19 units

Energy needed: 73
38 - 112 Explosion damage within radius
Explosion Radius: 115
Reuse time: 3 seconds
25.0 damage per second

Requires 45 Tactical
Sell value: 86 credits
Retail value: 389 credits

Advanced Deflectors II
Medium Component
Rarity: Rare Type: Shield
Durability 68 / 68
+76 Attack
+4 Explosion Resistance
+109 Power Load
+205 Max Shields
+0.39 Shields Regen
Requires 24 Engineering
Sell value: 73 credits
Retail value: 311 credits

Excellent Pulsed Plasma Thruster III
Medium Component
Rarity: Normal Type: Thruster
Durability 40 / 79
+98 Defense
+198 Thrust
+103 Power Load
Requires 27 Helm
Sell value: 36 credits
Retail value: 251 credits

Cheap Cloaking Device I
Medium Component
Rarity: Normal Type: Cloaking Device
Durability 89 / 89
+107 Power Load
Energy needed: 0

+238% Critical Hit
+190% Weapon Damage
-9.0 Energy every 1 second
Causes: Stealthed

Requires 27 Helm
Sell value: 44 credits
Retail value: 183 credits

Superior Shock Mine I
Medium Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Mine Weapon
Durability 70 / 70
+9% Tweaked Find Chance
+117 Power Load
+20% Critical Hit
Range: 0 to 19 units

Energy needed: 44
33 - 93 Explosion damage within radius
Explosion Radius: 125
Reuse time: 3 seconds
21.0 damage per second

Requires 24 Tactical
Sell value: 56 credits
Retail value: 234 credits

Excellent Emergency Energy II
Light Component
Rarity: Normal Type: Battery Other
Durability 66 / 103
+56 Power Load

Energy needed: 34
Reuse time: 1 minute
Duration: 30 seconds
-20% Movement
-20% Shields Regen
900.0 Energy over 30 seconds

Requires 33 Engineering
Sell value: 33 credits
Retail value: 202 credits

Superior Parallel Recharger II
Light Component
Rarity: Very Rare Type: Battery Regen Boost
Durability 259 / 377
+8 Energy Regen
+12 EM Resistance
+117 Power Load
+15 Max Power Load
+64 Radar
+98% durability
Requires 38 Engineering
Sell value: 108 credits
Retail value: 642 credits

Cheap Shield Power Conduit I
Light Component
Rarity: Common Type: Shield Active Boost
Durability 74 / 74
+8% Find Components Chance
+42 Power Load

Energy needed: 22
+180 Shields
Reuse time: 1 minute

Requires 20 Engineering
Sell value: 171 credits
Retail value: 786 credits

Mediculation (Cortex) the Engineer[/COLOR]
Light Component
Rarity: Common Type: Crew
Health 83 / 83
Happiness: 86.6

+11 Engineering
Requires level 20
Crew pay cost: 310 credits
Sell value: 54 credits
Retail value: 225 credits

Superior Fusion Power Plant II
Heavy Component
Rarity: Rare Type: Power Plant
Durability 143 / 149
+15 Kinetic Resistance
-16 Power Load (-8 in race specific slot)
+1067 Max Power Load
+71 Radar
Requires 52 Engineering
Sell value: 162 credits
Retail value: 770 credits

Zash (Fringe)[/COLOR]
Light Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Crew
Health 72 / 72
Happiness: 90.9

+3 Structural
+6 Engineering
Requires level 20
Crew pay cost: 390 credits
Sell value: 44 credits
Retail value: 183 credits

FunStats

Kills: 2998
Deaths: 10
Kills Per Death: 299

Credits Found: 7,313 credits
Time Played: 10h 40m 31s
Max Damage Dealt: 386
Max Damage Taken: 180
Max Damage Dealt At Once: 1787
Escape Pod Success: 0

Installed Components Worth: 6,226 credits
Inventory Worth: 21,511 credits
Quests Solved: 203
Secrets Found: 10

Strongest Monster Defeated: Gleria Echo (Lvl 15)
Toughest Battle Won: Scolex (Lvl 15) at Lvl 15
Strongest Monster Killed By: Scolex (Lvl 15)
Weakest Monster Killed By: Cyano (Lvl 16)

Sectors Won: 5
Sectors Lost: 0
Sectors Abandoned: 1
Allies Risen to Power: 9
Races Destroyed: 8
Planets Destroyed: 42
Doomsday Weapons Used: 1
Diplomatic Wins: 2
Military Wins: 0
Economic Wins: 1
Fear Wins: 2
Legend Wins: 0

Drox Operative / Soldak Entertainment (http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html)

nox
01-20-2013, 02:41 AM
I will say up front that the two most important things for your survival are

a) getting enough power to run things that will keep you alive, and that includes knowing what a 'good and efficient' component is. you should be able to recognize what a 'good' midslot engine or shield unit is at a glance.

b) finding a way to boost your survivability. in my case that's speed, cloaking and fighters to draw the agro for me, coupled with weapons that are very long range so that I can fire and run, and leave mines behind me - in this build.

Alternately you could do exactly what I've done here with all bombs instead of fighters. when you were launching a major attack you hit the emergency energy recharger and you can chain fire bombs for 30 seconds. you will destroy a planet - any planet - in about 9 seconds flat. a bomb does 250-300 damage if you are cloaked and get a crit (200% damage from cloak + double damage crit)

missiles are another option, but if you do that you will need to raise computer to at least about 15 in order to use a sector scanner to get about +300 attack.

This was my last build but I didn't like the ship I ended up with when I ranked it up.

Missiles btw when fired from cloak will kill almost anything in one salvo of three missiles. they do 200% damage when you're cloaked, and a high critical chance because you're cloaked. It's a fun build.

Razghul
01-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Excuse my lack of understanding, all these posts are very interesting, but i didn't understand two things:

1) You are talking about 2 Fighter Bays used simultaneously, ending up with 6 fighters. How do you do that ? Whenever i equip 2 Fighter Bays, i end up with a maximum of 3 Fighters... :(

2) What do you mean by "go with Raiders" ?
I'm probably going to go with Raiders because they summon 4 each slot rather than 3.

Edit: Never mind question 1) ... i just read the latest beta-patch details: can now utilize multiple fighter bays of the same type

nox
01-21-2013, 02:33 AM
The new code makes sense, and makes fighters a little more viable. The second fighter bay can be used to up the count of your first bay. Thus you can have one bay that costs 280 power to run, and a second that costs 50 but just use the second one to keep your count up.

Fighters and Interceptors allow you to summon 3 fighters per slot. Bombers allow one (which seems impractical), and raiders permit 4 per slot.

Raider is a different class of fighter.

Avarice
01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Cool, thanks for the info nox.

About the fighters I noticed if you summon all 6 from the highest level bay you get 6 fighters of that level, making the second one just storage.

nox
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Just remember, my build ONLY works for items that do not have a to-hit roll. I have zero hit bonus, which will make your hit rate decline as you level up so you can't just put missiles guns or lasers on it.

Fighters, bombs, mines, and the beloved vortex.

Also, I very strongly recommend keeping a couple of + engineering crew members that you don't level up too much handy for restarting. Spiking engineering allows you to get a decent amount of power which does 2 critical things :

1) allows you a broader selection of items (you don't have to wait for power-efficient versions of things)
2) allows you to spike tactics

Sedlex
01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
The design space allows pretty much anything you can imagine. One of my favourite ships is hive, currently at level 70, with 0 points in command, and 20 points wasted in computers (alas, invested before I had a clear idea what I wanted to do with my toy).

To give you an idea, it's running:

High: Power/Armor/Bomb

Mid: Helm stat based defense bonus/EMP shockwave/Lightning field

Low: Universal resist/Universal resist/Energy leech

…and the bog standard hive stuff, those being Crew/low thruster/flak.

Hope that gives you some more ideas :)

Muonix
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Rookie reporting in. Good post Nox. What are the "secrets found"

For some reason I put like 50 points in helm and Im level 18. Really crippling me I think! Slowly working around it, and hey at least I got the +100 thrust bonus....

nox
01-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Secrets are things that are ... secret =) Pocket dimensions and the like.

If you have 50 points in helm and don't want to restart, you can help yourself with a couple of engineering NPCs. I haven't found the crewman of my dreams yet... engineering and tactics =0

On the bright side, 50 helm gives you access to missile defense rockets, thruster coolers (huge and cheap defense bonus) and the best midslot engines. at ~52/52 helm you can get 400-ish thrust in a mid slot and 200-ish thrust in a light slot.

Most importantly though is that helm permits you to use cloaking devices, which start at I believe 27 helm. It's a whole different game with cloaking. You can't rely on it too much, because it's situational but when you use it to good effect it can be devastating.

nox
01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Secrets are things that are ... secret =) Pocket dimensions and the like.

If you have 50 points in helm and don't want to restart, you can help yourself with a couple of engineering NPCs. I haven't found the crewman of my dreams yet... engineering and tactics =0

On the bright side, 50 helm gives you access to missile defense rockets, thruster coolers (huge and cheap defense bonus) and the best midslot engine. at ~52/52 helm you can get 400-ish thrust in a mid slot and 200-ish thrust in a light slot.

dmaiski
02-19-2013, 02:56 AM
What i have found is that if you focus massively on command, you can use the extra space to compensate for other stats with crew/environmental control modules.

Also i rely mostly on computers/ecm for defense 666/442 comes out to 96% to hit and 20% chance to be hit. With the Utopian ship bonus to computer stat +21 on my ship i don't need to spend crew points on it.

depending on the weapon load out i take (i have 4 fighter bays, 3 high dps guns, and a variety of modules) i can get very high burst damage or sustained fire, a fighter swarm, or make my ship as fast or tanky as i want...

computers/ecm can be really nasty at high amounts at 700 defense you become basically immune to damage.

it really depends on your play style, but i find having a massive ship with loads of modules much more effective then a light fighter.

btw, this is my first ship it took me a few sectors to figure out what i need to do to win, but now i just go in and kill everyone in the sector...

Stats

Shields: 138 / 138
Armor Plating: 0 / 0
Structure: 131 / 131
Energy: 143 / 143

DPS: 32.0
Attack: 666
Defense: 442

Max Speed: 86
Radar: 225

Money: 32,714 credits

Attributes

Tactical: 26
Helm: 18
Structural: 14
Engineering: 26
Computers: 38
Command: 56

Crew points Left: 0

Resistances

Thermal Resistance: 0
Cold Resistance: 0
Radiation Resistance: 9
EM Resistance: 6
Explosion Resistance: 8

Skills

Equipment

Superior Laser IV
Heavy Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Beam Weapon
Durability 63 / 63
+44% Find Extra Credits
+116 Power Load
+44% Critical Hit
Target: Current enemy
Range: 0 to 16 units
Damage lessens over distance (40% at max range)

Energy needed: 15
13 - 35 Thermal damage
Reuse time: 0.75 seconds
32.0 damage per second

Requires 24 Tactical
Sell value: 171 credits
Retail value: 782 credits

Superior Fighter Bay II
Uses standard Fighters
Heavy Component
Rarity: Common Type: Fighter Bay
Durability 88 / 88
+11% Find Components Chance
+107 Power Load

Energy needed: 102
Ship level: 15

Requires 22 Tactical
Sell value: 146 credits
Retail value: 655 credits

Superior Nuclear Power Plant III
Heavy Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Power Plant
Durability 52 / 52
+4 Radiation Resistance
+4 Explosion Resistance
+287 Max Power Load
Requires 18 Engineering
Retail value: 228 credits

Excellent Nuclear Power Plant III
Heavy Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Power Plant
Durability 53 / 53
+36% Find Extra Credits
+349 Max Power Load
Requires 19 Engineering
Sell value: 51 credits
Retail value: 215 credits

Excellent Pulsed Plasma Thruster I
Medium Component
Rarity: Common Type: Thruster
Durability 48 / 48
+57 Defense
+115 Thrust
+73 Power Load
+5 Max Power Load
Requires 15 Helm
Sell value: 35 credits
Retail value: 147 credits

Advanced Environment Control I
Medium Component
Rarity: Common Type: Crew Equipment
+3 Tactical
+3 Helm
+3 Structural
+3 Engineering
+3 Computers
+9 Defense
+45 Power Load
Requires level 8
Sell value: 77 credits
Retail value: 328 credits

Pulsed Plasma Thruster I
Medium Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Thruster
Durability 38 / 38
+46 Defense
+42 Attack
+6 Kinetic Resistance
+93 Thrust
+52 Power Load
Requires 12 Helm
Sell value: 48 credits
Retail value: 200 credits

Advanced Deflectors I
Medium Component
Rarity: Very Rare Type: Shield
Durability 60 / 60
+6 Defense
+5 Radiation Resistance
+4 Explosion Resistance
+13% Tweaked Find Chance
+72 Power Load
+138 Max Shields
+0.26 Shields Regen
Requires 18 Engineering
Sell value: 65 credits
Retail value: 273 credits

IRCM Jammer III
Medium Component
Rarity: Rare Type: Jammer
Durability 99 / 99
+278 Defense
+92 Attack
+122 Power Load
+35 Radar
Requires 28 Computers
Sell value: 143 credits
Retail value: 638 credits

Excellent Battery Recharger I
Light Component
Rarity: Uncommon Type: Battery Regen Boost
Durability 44 / 44
+3 Energy Regen
+6 EM Resistance
+34 Power Load
+34% durability
Requires 6 Engineering
Retail value: 225 credits

Excellent Battery Recharger II
Light Component
Rarity: Common Type: Battery Regen Boost
Durability 50 / 50
+4 Energy Regen
+39 Power Load
+40 Radar
Requires 11 Engineering
Sell value: 49 credits
Retail value: 204 credits

Lurz (Brunt)
Light Component
Rarity: Rare Type: Crew
Health 78 / 78
Happiness: 99.0

+4 Tactical
+3 Structural
+22% Critical Hit
Requires level 15
Crew pay cost: 350 credits
Sell value: 39 credits
Retail value: 164 credits

Kezilberx (Fringe)
Light Component
Rarity: Rare Type: Crew
Health 60 / 60
Happiness: 98.7

+3 Structural
+4 Engineering
+41 Attack
Requires level 10
Crew pay cost: 231 credits
Retail value: 163 credits

Rhinx (Overlord)
Light Component
Health 64 / 64
Happiness: 100.0

+5 Helm
+5 Engineering
Requires level 15
Crew pay cost: 290 credits
Sell value: 49 credits
Retail value: 204 credits

Supercomputer II
Medium Component
Rarity: Common Type: Computer
Durability 70 / 70
+132 Defense
+263 Attack
+27% Find Extra Credits
+100 Power Load (50 in race specific slot)
Requires 21 Computers
Sell value: 102 credits
Retail value: 440 credits

Claughlin-1821 (Utopian)
Light Component
Health 66 / 66
Happiness: 100.0

+4 Tactical
+4 Computers
Requires level 15
Crew pay cost: 290 credits
Retail value: 162 credits

FunStats

Kills: 2124
Deaths: 24
Kills Per Death: 88

Credits Found: 13,817 credits
Time Played: 10h 53m 22s
Max Damage Dealt: 154
Max Damage Taken: 216
Max Damage Dealt At Once: 154
Escape Pod Success: 0

Installed Components Worth: 5,028 credits
Inventory Worth: 14,995 credits
Quests Solved: 140
Secrets Found: 3

Strongest Monster Defeated: Frigate (Lvl 10)
Toughest Battle Won: Aurora (Lvl 14) at Lvl 17
Strongest Monster Killed By: Aurora (Lvl 14)
Weakest Monster Killed By: Male Smashing Tide Spawn (Lvl 14)

Sectors Won: 2
Sectors Lost: 3
Sectors Abandoned: 1
Allies Risen to Power: 2
Races Destroyed: 2
Planets Destroyed: 33
Doomsday Weapons Used: 0
Diplomatic Wins: 0
Military Wins: 2
Economic Wins: 0
Fear Wins: 0
Legend Wins: 0