PDA

View Full Version : Missiles tracking missiles

Valgor
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Auto-fired (using a hotkey; i.e. not manually aimed) missiles will lock on to incoming missiles instead of the ships that fired them.
I suppose their choice of target is based on proximity to the player ship, but there really should be an exception for enemy missiles.
The same would apply to kinetic weapons, but they're not as badly affected by this since they fire faster and don't consume as much energy.

nox
01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
The fix for this is to have your mouse over the thing you want to hit.

You're saying that missiles should be valid targets but just not default?

Valgor
01-18-2013, 07:08 AM
This "fix" does not go well with my style of play, since I use the mouse to direct my ship (the Thruster Cursor option). My fingers don't have the dexterity to use both WASD
and hotkeys at the same time. I'm saying missiles should be valid targets for fast-firing beam weapons and flak, but not for the player's own missiles.
It's rather annoying to see a ~500 damage missile chase another missile that wouldn't have even scratched the shields instead of heading towards the guy who was firing it.

nox
01-18-2013, 08:08 AM
I understand what you are saying.

if he doesn't want to fix this, I will look into modding this for you. I agree this is a noisy problem that requires a lot of fiddling in typically very target rich situations.

nox
01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Well, I am not seeing where the missiles get their target selection from. This may be hardcoded.

Valgor
01-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Too bad, but thanks for trying to help. I'm confident Shadow will sort this out eventually.