PDA

View Full Version : Cloth/Leather vs. Mail/Plate

graffen69
05-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Getting into a full set of high armor rating Plate or Mail Armor whcih requires 100-128 Strength (and equipping Maces which also only requires Str) is really easy at level 8 (or even lower), what with +25 Str potions and lots of +Stat gear, then switching back to regular gear. I kinda like this ”Twink”-ability for those classes invloved, but to be fair they have a HUGE advantage over leather and cloth armor users. As much as i´d like to see it unchanged (my alts are Plate and Mail users, my main is not), i rather see it equally balanced by either setting Int or/and Dex requirement on Cloth/Leather Armor or a level requirement on Plate/Mail Armor.
Also, Staff Dex requirements seems to be unproportionally low compared to other weapons. As an example, using high DPS staffs on say a Druid/Assassin Stalker is far superior since its such a low Dex req.

Valgor
05-10-2010, 06:40 AM
The requirements on staves are low so that full caster builds are able to wield them without spending otherwise wasted points on Dexterity. I think that's the whole reason...

Jorlen
05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Well, being able to keep equipped items that you no longer have the requirements for is without a doubt, a bug.

What should happen is the item would become unusable if your stats go below the requirements.

It's too easy to just quaff a STR / DEX potion and be rid of any requirements and equip the best stuff. It's a loophole.

DeathKnight1728
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I dont know if this makes sense but....Rogue and stealthy type characters (Ranger) who wear leather, should get a bonus to defense or something to make up for the lack of armor amount. Even though plate is great for warriors for protection, Leather should prevent you getting hit in the first place.

Look at all of the other games with characters that wear those armors. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo 2, etc.
Each of those games allow characters that aren't as "Durable" as others to make up for it in evasion and other forms of avoidance. It makes perfect sense.

Jorlen
05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I dont know if this makes sense but....Rogue and stealthy type characters (Ranger) who wear leather, should get a bonus to defense or something to make up for the lack of armor amount. Even though plate is great for warriors for protection, Leather should prevent you getting hit in the first place.

Look at all of the other games with characters that wear those armors. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo 2, etc.
Each of those games allow characters that aren't as "Durable" as others to make up for it in evasion and other forms of avoidance. It makes perfect sense.

The trickster tree (rogue) has two passive skills that significantly add to defensive capabilities, not to mention he can go stealth.

viper34j
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, being able to keep equipped items that you no longer have the requirements for is without a doubt, a bug.

Keeping items equipped that you no longer have the stat requirements for is without a doubt NOT a bug.

This is a compromise intended to lessen the impact of curses. If you unequipped all items that you were no longer qualified for then every time you were cursed you'd be nekked! (I doubt many people are wearing gear that have requirements 30-50% below their stats)

I do not necessarily agree with this mechanic, nor do I really think Shadow does either. But, how should it be handled?

Maybe have curses act in a special way that doesn't unequip items when your stats drop? Maybe implement a penalty for wearing items that are outside your means (add up str on all items over your max str level and reduce the characters movement speed by some factor, something like that)?

Jorlen
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Keeping items equipped that you no longer have the stat requirements for is without a doubt NOT a bug.

This is a compromise intended to lessen the impact of curses. If you unequipped all items that you were no longer qualified for then every time you were cursed you'd be nekked! (I doubt many people are wearing gear that have requirements 30-50% below their stats)

I do not necessarily agree with this mechanic, nor do I really think Shadow does either. But, how should it be handled?

Maybe have curses act in a special way that doesn't unequip items when your stats drop? Maybe implement a penalty for wearing items that are outside your means (add up str on all items over your max str level and reduce the characters movement speed by some factor, something like that)?

Hrm.

Detrimental effects such as curse and shrink would have to be excluded from that rule.

And yeah, maybe a sort of penalty, based on how much you're missing from the requirement.

graffen69
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Viper34j wrote Maybe have curses act in a special way that doesn't unequip items when your stats drop? Maybe implement a penalty for wearing items that are outside your means (add up str on all items over your max str level and reduce the characters movement speed by some factor, something like that)?
Or give a temporary minus to all skill levels (1 being lowest for any skill learned).

TheRani
05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Removing the stat reduction of curses and just having curses lower your damage and HP and MP and attack speed would probably be good for getting around that.

torikamal
05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Honestly, the ability to equip items should really only be based on your..."permanent" attributes. So curse would really just be adding negative points, but not affect your actual base.

One way to void accidentally taking an item off and then making all the items not work because you have your stat bonuses in the wrong order now, would be to be able to wear things that you don't qualify for yet and they will be completely red (and get zero abilities from them). However, if the total addition of all the items eventually makes everything work, then the red would go away, and you could use the item.

Also, if an item becomes broken, it's probably only fair that you can't get any bonuses from it since it is, well...broken.

graffen69
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Torikamal wrote Honestly, the ability to equip items should really only be based on your..."permanent" attributes. So curse would really just be adding negative points, but not affect your actual base

Totally agree!
By the same token, removing level requirements and as Torikamal said let all items (well most, mebbe not potions) be based on your permanent Stat bonus. Then each player themselves can choose how much points to put in any single one stat. It would be a nice change from the "restricted" level req that is so common in most fantasy games of this kind and also make use of less "popular" Stats, like Spirit for instance.