PDA

View Full Version : Title screen...then CTD.

triggercut
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Every time.

I've tried re-downloading twice, and same thing. Also installed the demo, and...same thing.

Title screen loads, then when I put the mouse pointer over the "Play" button, it changes from a finger to an arrow, hangs, and then clicking again drops me to desktop.

i7 860 CPU
8 gb RAM
ATI 5870 video card
Running Win7 x64

Any ideas?

triggercut
05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Huh. Depths Of Peril doing this to me now as well.

To save time:

I am using the current video/sound drivers for my system.

Also, using Windows Ultimate x64.

Finally, I've tried disabling the initial sound switch in the default.cfg (Din's) and user.cfg (DoP) folders. No help.

Shadow
05-11-2010, 11:18 AM
So it runs fine until you hover the cursor over the play button? Or is it when you click on the play button? Can you click on other buttons? Will it run for a while if you don't do anything?

triggercut
05-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Nothing.

The title screen loads up, and that's it. Period.

triggercut
05-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Installed it fine on a non-gaming laptop, but I'd rather play on my desktop.

On my desktop, I notice that there's no animation on the title screen and no sound.

I'm wondering if the game will run on an ATI 5870 card.

Kruztee
05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm assuming that you mean Windows 7?

There have been reports of games not working under Windows 7 if you do not disable the "feature" of the O/S that downloads and installs the latest display drivers for your system. Your issue sounds overwhelmingly like a display driver issue to me. Just an idea.

triggercut
05-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm assuming that you mean Windows 7?

There have been reports of games not working under Windows 7 if you do not disable the "feature" of the O/S that downloads and installs the latest display drivers for your system. Your issue sounds overwhelmingly like a display driver issue to me. Just an idea.

If this was 1999, I'd agree, but it isn't and shouldn't be.

Using Win7 x64, and using the latest ATI drivers for my card.

Since there's no way in hell this is a graphics driver issue, I'm wondering if it could be a sound issue. I used to have a Creative X-Fi soundcard installed.

Is there a way (command line switch or ini setting) to disable sound before trying to start the game?

Shadow
05-17-2010, 01:13 PM
You can turn off the sound in your cfg file. Open up your user.cfg file in:

Vista/Win7 - C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\DinsCurse\User
XP - C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\DinsCurse\User
Mac - /Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application Support/DinsCurse/User

Then find the line that has s_initSound and change the 1 to a 0.

Kruztee
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
You should probably try loading the game in windowed mode too, might help?

triggercut
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Well.

Slap my butt and call me Ginger. It works!

Disabling sound by itself did nothing. Still got a lockup and then CTD on the title screen.

Then Kruztee suggested windowed mode. I entered the default.cfg file and changed "fullscreen" from "1" to "0". Restarted the game again, expecting nothing...

....and whoah Nellie, it loads! Not only that, but then I go back and change the fullscreen switch back to 1, and...it loads again! And then I go back an enable sound...and it loads again!

Works every time now. Guess it just needed windowed mode to give it a kick in the pants or something?

Gonna go see if this works on DoP, and then get hacking on Din's Curse for real.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, all! I hope I didn't sound too godawfully pissy. I just really enjoyed DoP, and have heard such good things about DC that not being able to play it was a bummer.

triggercut
05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
...and an odd addendum: I did absolutely *nothing* to alter the config files of Depths Of Peril. Just booted it up, expecting it to crash on the load screen as well...and it loaded right up and is ready to play as well!

I have no idea what causes this, or why running the game in windowed mode once seemed to fix it for me, but there it is.

Shadow
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
That is really strange, but I'm glad that you got it working.

Thanks Kruztee for the good suggestion.

Pierre70
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. I also use Windows 7 64 bit, and all my drivers are up to date. The strange thing is that this problem has only happened today. Previously, the game ran fine.

Now I can only play in windowed mode, following the advice given here. If I switch back to fullscreen I get the same CTD.

Windows gives me the following details regarding the crash, don't know if any of this is of use:

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DinsCurse.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4c0019fb
Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.9836
Fault Module Timestamp: 4be0d48d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 006f0c20
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789"

I now find the same issue with Depths of Peril as well.

Pierre70
06-01-2010, 06:35 AM
I have now solved this problem thanks to Bugbear's reply to another post. I switched off triple buffering in the ati control panel and both games work fine again.

I suspect this may be the solution to quite a few other problems people are having.

Valgor
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Though it certainly didn't fix my "Soldak's games occasionally hang at the main menu" problem, which has so far persisted on two entirely different PCs across all recent iterations of Windows
(XP, Vista and 7 to be precise)...

Shadow, do you think it'd actually help you tracking this down if I posted my application crash details as well?

As I've stated several times before, this is not a game-breaking issue, since most of the time, the games start up just fine. It's still annoying when it happens two or even three times in a row.

Shadow
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Pierre70: Thanks for letting us know that turning off triple buffering helped.

Valgor: Crash details are sometimes helpful.

ax811
06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I have a P4 2.66 with 1GB RAM and an integrated graphics card using Windows XP SP3.

When I tried to load DC demo I had a blank screen, followed by a skeleton title page with no lettering. I already have an external audio card, and may not have room to upgrade the graphics card. Any thoughts or solutions?

Shadow
06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Usually upgrading your graphics and/or sound drivers fixes this. You could also try running in a window.