PDA

View Full Version : Mini tournament idea

Shadow
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Ok, I have this idea for a mini tournament for Din's Curse that I think would be interesting. First off there won't be any prizes or anything, it's just for fun.

My idea is that I generate a hardcore character with a random hybrid class and a random name and stick him into a random world. Then I exit the game, zip up the save, and post it on a thread in the forums. Everyone has a week to play the character and see how high of a level they can get him to. People that are playing would post the character export in the thread when they die or at the end of the week. At the end of the week I do a top 10 list or something for everyone and possibly start the next mini tournament.

So basically it would be a short hardcore tournament, but where everyone uses the same character and starts in the same world.

At least while everyone is in that same starting world, it might be interesting to see how similar the results turn out.

What do you all think? If there is enough interest I might start this on Monday.

Jorlen
05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm in.

Course, I'd be in even more, if it meant winning a license of one of your other games (DoP or Kivi) ;)

Sorry sorry.. I just like to know I'm competing for something, not just a top 10 list.

But yeah, I'm in. For sure. Sounds like fun!

Kruztee
05-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I'll play. Sounds like a great idea!:D

Are we allowed to start from scratch if we die? Or do we only get the one playthrough?

Shadow
05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I worry that if I introduce prizes that I would just be begging for people to cheat.

We really could go either way with the can you start more than once thing. I would lean towards letting people have multiple tries so a lucky shot doesn't kick you out on the first day.

viper34j
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm totally, unfreaking-believably on-board for this!!!

As for not allowing multiple tries... how would you even govern that?

Caal
05-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Sounds like fun. I'd give that a shot.

salejemaster
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm in, sounds really fun. I'm also all for multiple tries with the character, I have only one request, if you could twitter about the tournament because I don't check the forums that much, looking forward to playing :)

Shadow
05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I'll post on the forums, twitter, and facebook at least when we start.

salejemaster
05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
so, will you start on monday :)?

SharpCarlos
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds very cool. It'll be fun to face challenges outside my comfort zone, AND be able to compare my successes/failures with others.

Maybe you could consider formally coding something like this into an expansion or sequel. Civilization Revolution has a function like that, where every week a random map and starting set-up is made available to everybody, and there's a leader-board so players can try to make the best of that situation.

torikamal
05-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm definitely on board. I hope it's a really wacky hybrid, too!

Axegrinder
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Sounds good.Bring it on!:o

Shadow
05-14-2010, 09:47 PM
so, will you start on monday :)?

Yeah, I think there is enough interest to start on Monday.

Heinosity
05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Hell yeah Shadow, count me in. I'm all over this!

It should be fun. :)

Kruztee
05-15-2010, 12:08 AM
It needs to be pointed out right at the start that there is absolutely no way to tell if somebody has cheated by looking at a character dump (unless they're really stupid ;)) Please do not litter the thread with posts that state the obvious. I'd like to think of the people that frequent these forums as quite an intellegent and like-minded lot, I'm sure that the great majority are looking forward to competing in a good old fashioned honour based tournament.

May the best player (or more probably the luckiest) win!:D

viper34j
05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Could we just submit our save games and let Shadow create the output? I'm sure he needs something to do. :)

Kruztee
05-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Could we just submit our save games and let Shadow create the output? I'm sure he needs something to do. :)

I doubt whether Shadow would want to do this, I'm sure that he's busy enough working on the DC expansion:D. But it's a good idea. Perhaps somebody else could act as an impartial, independent caretaker?

udm
05-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Sounds fun, count me in!

salejemaster
05-15-2010, 07:22 AM
there is really no reason to cheat, can't understand why anyone would :)

viper34j
05-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I doubt whether Shadow would want to do this, I'm sure that he's busy enough working on the DC expansion:D. But it's a good idea. Perhaps somebody else could act as an impartial, independent caretaker?

Actually, since the function that creates the character output is nothing more that a chunk of code, it would be reasonable to assume Shadow could create a simple console app that took save games and generated those output files.

But... it may not be worth his time I guess. However it would add legitimacy to the tourny.

graffen69
05-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Love the idea!
So this would be a weekly tournament?

Jorlen
05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Is there any possibility of getting this started today?

Reason being I have a lot of time to game on Sundays, it would be a great time to try this idea out.

graffen69
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM
And once a year, ya could have the ultimate Torunament, with both Hardcore mode and cursed mode. :D

Shadow
05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
If it works out really well, I don't see why we can't do it once a week. Even if I don't do it, there's no reason that someone else here couldn't just organize the same thing.

We could just require everyone to post their save game and character export and anyone that wants to check can do so.

PixelLord
05-16-2010, 01:26 PM
At the end of the week I do a top 10 list or something for everyone and possibly start the next mini tournament.

I'd be cool if you could list everyone's finishing place if possible, not just the top 10. Put the top 10 in BOLD!

Shadow
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd be cool if you could list everyone's finishing place if possible, not just the top 10. Put the top 10 in BOLD!

That's probably a good idea. I'll do that if it's reasonable.