PDA

View Full Version : My Initial Impressions

Stretch
05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Greetings! Iím playing through the Dinís Curse demo right now and wanted to take a moment and express my delight at having found such a curiously addictive indie gem from all the many action RPGís currently out there.

My initial impression wasnít very favorable. Iíd was fresh off the experience of a handful of retail RPGís and was expecting a level of polish that DC just didnít appear to have. I played up to level 3 and promptly quit the game, fairly certain that I wouldnít be back. Yet back I was, sooner than I expected, and as I continued to delve deeper into the experience I gradually realized that this was a very well-put together game. Iíve since tried all of the Ďcoreí classes and wanted to share a few points that stood out to me.

I think the components that make this game stand out are its accessible gameplay, intuitive interface and variety. The straightforward gameplay takes me back to the days when I was a college freshman trying the original Diablo for the first time. All though a host of games have followed the Diablo archetype since then, it can be deceptively tricky to pull off the same sort of addictive component that continually has you delving deeper into the dungeon, searching for that extra bit of loot or armor, or just trying to polish off that last quest before bedtime. DC does this quite well, and I found myself enjoying the game play quite a bit.

I also appreciate the intuitive interface. Everything is right where I need it. Itís easy to upgrade my skills, add character points, buy/sell loot and interact with NPCís. Iíve played a few RPGís that really shrink the interface at higher resolutions and I was more than pleased to find all the quest text, icons and menu items clear and legible at 1920x1200.

Lastly, I appreciate the variety of specializations that each class can choose from. Just having three core specializations for each class alone allows for an immense amount of skills and spells to choose from, so much so that I imagine that experimenting with different combinations would keep me busy for quite some time. But the addition of hybrid classes introduces a whole new realm of customizability; you can tailor your character to match your gameplay style or experiment with any exotic range of hybrid creations.

All in all, I think DC really has it where it counts. There are definitely improvements that I would make, specifically to the sound, graphics and quest writing, but overall I think DC offers a tremendous amount of fun.

Jorlen
05-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Great impressions, and welcome to the DC community!

I also loved the fact that the UI scaled well at 1920x1080 since I'm stuck playing on a TV and many retail games with massive budgets didn't think to scale UI or font size with resolution.

It's those little things that count, but also the big things, which for once can all be found in one awesome and well priced (too well priced) package.

I don't think I ever bought a game this quickly after trying the demo. I was blown away, and still am, one month later, still playing hours a day.

udm
05-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Hey, welcome and glad you enjoy it :)

PixelLord
05-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I'd be nice for Soldak if this game really caught on. Making and marketing indie games is such a difficult task. Maybe word of mouth will help this game achieve what it deserves? Tell your friends! :)

Stretch
05-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :)

I agree, when it comes to games it's very often the little things that count. When everything comes together it really shows; usually within about 5-10 minutes of play, sometimes even sooner, you can tell whether the game you're playing is going to make life easy or difficult for you.

A good case in point - I was recently trying the demo for Legend: Hand of God, a lesser known Diablo clone that's probably more notable for its bugs, yet still has a fair amount of polish in its initial presentation. The graphics are quite nice, the combat/spell animations are very fun to look at and the music is also top notch. Its quite ironic though that while Legend excels just a bit more in areas where DC could use some improvement, it suffers from a host of small issues that make the core gameplay experience a real chore. An unresponsive and imprecise system make everything - from fighting enemies to looting to buying/selling and equipping your character - an obtuse and sometimes frustrating process.

Spending some time with Legend actually made me appreciate the core gameplay elements in DC even more.

Stretch
06-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Sorry for the bump, just wanted to add a few more impressions from my gameplay.

Another notable feature that Iíve really grown to like is the dynamic world system. It really lends itself well to the concept of playing and growing in a world that is constantly evolving as well. I like seeing updates of whatís happening in the world as I play, and I find it interesting to see that NPCís will come and go and even take action on their own. I was quite astonished when one particular NPC died while trying to collect millipedes for a quest Iíd yet to accept. I was even more surprised when the town I had left was attacked by an uprising of creatures from the dungeons below.

Inside the dungeons, the monsters Iíve encountered act in ways you donít usually see in other games. Itís interesting to see them fighting amongst one another, rushing to put out every torch I light up,* hoarding gold (those evil leprechauns are a hoot), bashing open chests and even gaining champion status themselves as they defeat their rivals. Running into vendors in the dungeons helps alleviate the chore of constantly going back to town in order to buy and sell, though I think that Torchlight may have one-upped DC in this regard with its option to have your pet run back to town and sell loot. Integrating spectral NPCís that require vengeance, Ďinfoí quests, lost plans and treasure maps also adds a nice bit of variety to all the dungeon delving.

Another nice touch is the random world generation for each new game. It makes playing through the game with different classes/characters just that much more interesting.

*[Those monsters really donít like light, do they? Which begs the question, why are there so many fire pits, torches, candles etc inside these dungeons anyway? ;) But I digressÖ.]

Heinosity
06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Wait until you figure out that 75% of all the skills are worthless and the game is imbalanced to the point of being absolutely ridiculous. That's why I quit playing, well among other reasons. I like to chime in every now and then though.

Another thing that you might want to try if you decide to purchase the full game, is participating in this pointless tournament held every week where ppl will shamelessly exploit all of the design flaws and overpowered skills to get ahead of others who are just trying to play the game and have a little extra fun.

Hardcore powergamers living in their parent's basements will always make the game more interesting, for sure. Count on it.

I really must apologize for the negative post, but there are VERY few games like this in existance that aren't beaten into the ground at this point, and this one is a serious cocktease for only being halfway awesome. It has serious potential though, which is why I still care and come around this forum.

But honestly, if you can stand to do it again, go back to Titan Quest / Immortal Throne, or even (ugh) Diablo II for the 80 billionth time...

(Heinosity holds his glass up high) Here is to Shadow (by himself no less) fixing the tons of game-breaking bugs and insane, poorly thought out class imbalances to make this game what it could / should be. Good luck sonny Jim...:)

Jorlen
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Along with my own copy, I bought this game for my brother as a gift, and I must say that playing it multiplayer definitely adds to the longevity of the game. The network code is flawless, we never have any problems and play for hours at a time.

This has been the best $25 I've ever spent on any software in my 16 or so years of PC gaming. I've easily played over 100 hours now, playing alone and multiplayer combined. Now that is value!

While I do agree that some skills need some tweaking, I am just adding a positive note to tip the scale a little from Heinosity's above message.

JSMany
06-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Wait until you figure out that 75% of all the skills are worthless and the game is imbalanced to the point of being absolutely ridiculous. That's why I quit playing, well among other reasons. I like to chime in every now and then though.

Another thing that you might want to try if you decide to purchase the full game, is participating in this pointless tournament held every week where ppl will shamelessly exploit all of the design flaws and overpowered skills to get ahead of others who are just trying to play the game and have a little extra fun.

Hardcore powergamers living in their parent's basements will always make the game more interesting, for sure. Count on it.

I really must apologize for the negative post, but there are VERY few games like this in existance that aren't beaten into the ground at this point, and this one is a serious cocktease for only being halfway awesome. It has serious potential though, which is why I still care and come around this forum.

But honestly, if you can stand to do it again, go back to Titan Quest / Immortal Throne, or even (ugh) Diablo II for the 80 billionth time...

(Heinosity holds his glass up high) Here is to Shadow (by himself no less) fixing the tons of game-breaking bugs and insane, poorly thought out class imbalances to make this game what it could / should be. Good luck sonny Jim...:)

Shadow seems to care about what his customers say and he consistently releases updates to fix these bugs reported. You must understand it's more difficult for indie game developers to identify these bugs since their workload is magnitude greater and there are fewer dedicated beta testers as well.

With that said, despite all these issues, in my opinion Shadow released a product that is very satisfying and enduring. The fact that the game is so easily modded gives it another 40+ hours of gameplay since you can change the skills in a way you think it balanced. If you're truly dissatisfied with the skills that comes in the vanilla game, you should just tweak things until you're satisfied. It's probably better way to spend your time than wait and hope Shadow will make the game just the way you want it to be.