PDA

View Full Version : Help for Beginners

PixelLord
05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I have been working on some on-line help screens for people who are just starting out with Din's Curse for the first time. Even if you are not brand new, there is a lot of information for players at various experience levels.

PLEASE NOTE!! My guides for Din's Curse have been moved to the Steam Guides.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/217290/guides/ - anyone can use these guides (you do NOT need to be a Steam member).

DeathKnight1728
05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Nice site, I wish i could have talked to you when i had my own. Anyway, the only real thing you should include is examples of how the hybrids work. I know this is the hard part of it, but unless someone knows this, they will just have trouble figuring out what will work and will not and probably not like their first few builds (I know i didnt). You can easily just list a few suggestions of builds that work.

ecliptic
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Isn't part of the fun just trying things out? And what works for one person may certainly possibly not work for another.

DeathKnight1728
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
That is true. I just think that listening to other people give their class ideas gives me a possible new idea to try on a 2nd or 3rd class.

Viliki
05-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I have been working on some on-line help screens for people who are just starting out with Din's Curse for the first time. The site is at the following link:

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id71.html

I have included a Quick Start section for first time players as well as links to other pages covering skills and mana, player and shared stash, bags, game speed, definitions, and hints. I'm still working on it, so if anyone sees any glaring errors or has other suggestions/comments, please let me know. Thanks.
Well done! All newbies will take profit of it. Well probably for most players, I quoted the weapon hotkey trick, I didn't knew that.

PixelLord
05-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I never knew that I could put health items, weapons. or other items in my skill slots until today! And I've been playing for 2 months. I thought those slots were just for skills! I happened to view a YouTube video and saw health potions (among other things) there. So I had to add a bunch of stuff to my web site so everyone knows. Probably old information, but new to all who've never played the game. This game gets better and better! :) Wonder how many other cool things I'm missing. Tell me.

Roswitha
05-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Here's a tip for left-handed mousers.
Go to Options (Settings?), Configure Input, and re-map all of the number keys to the number keypad.

It makes the slots look a little funny, because it prints "Numpad-1" in the 1 slot, and the text carries over so the "1" is in the 2 slot. But you can't really see it because "Numpad-2" is overwriting it. I got used to it pretty quickly.

I left the zero mapping how it was and mapped the num-pad 0 to the map toggle. (I can't put anything in slot 0, but it's a small price to pay.) I also mapped the numpad Enter to the Pause button. It's saved my life many a time.

Viliki
05-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Really good guide. About the slots I was using them for potions and food but never tried for weapons as you suggest in the guide.

Few points:

You wrote to right click on the bag at bottom but left click on it works too and open all bags.
I discovered in this guide the trick to use the shortcut to attack instead of clicking the LMB. It's cool but how get back this shortcut if you override it? Just by dragging your current weapon on it? But if you change weapon? Mmm probably if you drag the weapon when it is equip it create again the shortcut and if you drag the weapon from the inventory it's something different. I'll try.
Not sure it worth the quote, players will probably necessarily discover it. But in hints section perhaps you can add a hint about the slipping system that can be used to move and do something at same time. For example to long shot and dodge at same time or use a skill without to lost time.
In hints section perhaps you could also highlight the importance of the text events and that it's often a good idea to scroll and check some older in case you didn't quote an important event. Those text events are one of the more important game feature of the game, it worth highlight them.
Also in Key section you forgot pinpoint this part of the screen, the text events section and the scroll arrows.

Aet
05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I discovered in this guide the trick to use the shortcut to attack instead of clicking the LMB. It's cool but how get back this shortcut if you override it? Just by dragging your current weapon on it? But if you change weapon?

The trick here is to check out the native/maxed skills that run in a row across the top of your skill windows (ie, the ones generally ignored because they cannot be leveled up). Just drag the 'Attack' skill from there down to your shortcut bar.

Also, many things that can be dragged into position are also a "click-once, move cursor to open slot, click-again to set" kind of thing.

Viliki
05-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Nice thanks Aet, this one would worth be in the guide.

PixelLord
05-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Good stuff! I will be adding them shortly. :)

Roswitha
06-10-2010, 12:47 AM
If you click on the little arrow to the right of the teleport stone, it will pop up another row of slots. These aren't hotkeyed, but it's much quicker to find something there than rummaging through your backpack or skills.

Gina S.
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I just bought the game yesterday and this has been a great resource to get me started. Thanks for taking the time to set it up.

PixelLord
06-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I just bought the game yesterday and this has been a great resource to get me started. Thanks for taking the time to set it up.

Glad to hear it was helpful. :)

heron
08-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Nice and helpful site!

Roswitha
08-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Here's an addition for Hint #4 on the website. When there's a town attack, all of the NPCs will turn to face the (most powerful) monster, saving the player from having to run laps to find the thing.

On #9, the world map also shows which world modifiers are in use, including active machines; you can hover over them to get more info.

#10. If you suspect that there's a hidden door somewhere, pull up the world map and look for holes in the map where a room could be hiding. Also, here's a post I made about finding hidden doors.

There's probably a secret door somewhere. Go to your left (or right) and follow the wall of the dungeon until you're back where you started. As you go, watch carefully for a part of the wall that's different. If you have corridors, there's usually a section that's a slightly different color. If there are rock walls, there's usually a big single boulder blocking the entrance. Another trick is to go to the end of a corridor and check if you can see more wall on the other side. Click on the wall/rock and it will disappear.

#12. If you've looked everywhere (including secret doors) and just can't find a monster, save and exit, then come back in. This will give it the kick it needs to respawn. (This also works for invisible roadblocks.) Make sure to claim any soulstones before you do this, as they will disappear when you exit.

In #16, the comment about Numpad being printed no longer applies. Shadow fixed it. :)

Here's another note. You can only have two potion effects active at the same time; one for stat potions and one for resistance potions. For example, if you drink a strength potion followed by a vitality potion, the vitality potion will override the strength potion and your strength will go back to normal. A find-items potion appears to count as a stat potion.

Awesome job on the website. :)

PixelLord
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Here's an addition for Hint #4 on the website. When there's a town attack, all of the NPCs will turn to face the (most powerful) monster, saving the player from having to run laps to find the thing.

On #9, the world map also shows which world modifiers are in use, including active machines; you can hover over them to get more info.

#10. If you suspect that there's a hidden door somewhere, pull up the world map and look for holes in the map where a room could be hiding. Also, here's a post I made about finding hidden doors.

There's probably a secret door somewhere. Go to your left (or right) and follow the wall of the dungeon until you're back where you started. As you go, watch carefully for a part of the wall that's different. If you have corridors, there's usually a section that's a slightly different color. If there are rock walls, there's usually a big single boulder blocking the entrance. Another trick is to go to the end of a corridor and check if you can see more wall on the other side. Click on the wall/rock and it will disappear.

#12. If you've looked everywhere (including secret doors) and just can't find a monster, save and exit, then come back in. This will give it the kick it needs to respawn. (This also works for invisible roadblocks.) Make sure to claim any soulstones before you do this, as they will disappear when you exit.

In #16, the comment about Numpad being printed no longer applies. Shadow fixed it. :)

Here's another note. You can only have two potion effects active at the same time; one for stat potions and one for resistance potions. For example, if you drink a strength potion followed by a vitality potion, the vitality potion will override the strength potion and your strength will go back to normal. A find-items potion appears to count as a stat potion.

Awesome job on the website. :)

Thank you, Roswitha. The #10 stuff was already addressed (not in the getting started material) in a "I'm stuck" link at the top. It's interesting as in that section I'd said almost the exact thing that you said. :)

Thanks, the others will be added shortly. Your input is appreciated!

PixelLord
08-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I recently added a new section covering Character Creation Information which simply lists what each character class/subclass can use as weapons or wear as armor (and cannot use). I'm hoping this will help new players (and maybe even some experienced players) determine what subclasses to select to create characters they like as well as interesting hybrid characters. Hope this stuff will prove useful for some. :)

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html links to that information.

timeh
08-29-2010, 06:23 AM
i like it, but it would be so much nicer if you just made a table

PixelLord
08-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Yes, I thought about that while I was creating this list. I was planning on replacing the list at a future date with a table if I can make one that is easy to read and fits my site. Thanks. :)

PixelLord
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM

I decided to create a table as you suggested. :) Check it out at: http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html if you like, and please let me know if I can improve it further. Thanks, again for the suggestion.

timeh
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
seriously awesome...

for the stat-based class passives, could you add the values and stat required?

i think the rogue skills are a bit pointless being there since they're all bought skills, but if you could add all the passive skills from each tree so players can quickly match up synergies.... :p

PixelLord
09-05-2010, 01:50 PM
I have recently added some new informational things including Quest Information and a list of Reviews (links + quotes). Those two link subjects have been added to the the help site's main links group near the top of the page. http://www.stephenhornback.com/id71.html

If I missed anything, let me know. :)

timeh
09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
"Once you enter the level where the meeting is occuring, leaving that level without completing that quest will result in failing that quest."

i didn't know that :O

i don't think i've ever succeeded in one of those quests

Max_Powers
09-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Good stuff, PixelLord!:) This will no doubt be a help to new and old alike. Thanks for the effort.

Amberjoy
09-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I have recently added some new informational things including Quest Information and a list of Reviews (links + quotes). Those two link subjects have been added to the the help site's main links group near the top of the page. http://www.stephenhornback.com/id71.html

If I missed anything, let me know. :)

You do have info on traps. My question is, are the traps always the same? If so, could you give a few examples in a picture box like you did for the various 'bags'? I just try and avoid anything on the floor that won't light up and give me a discription. :) If they are the same, I could relatively safely walk over some of them. Like teleport to other place on same level of dungeon or ice storm, etc. if I knew what they were. Thanks for all the stuff you've done so far. VERY helpful.

PixelLord
09-05-2010, 05:12 PM
"Once you enter the level where the meeting is occuring, leaving that level without completing that quest will result in failing that quest."

i didn't know that :O

i don't think i've ever succeeded in one of those quests

Well, it seems every time I had one of these quests (which I fail most of the time too), I'd attack and run towards an exit hoping to duck into the entrance/exit/gate when my health got too low; then I could pop back in, fight, pop back out, and so forth. However, leaving the first time with this type of quest always resulted in an immediate "Quest failed" as soon as I left the level.

I could be wrong, but I think that's what happens; but I certainly don't want to put up information that's wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

PixelLord
09-05-2010, 05:14 PM
You do have info on traps. My question is, are the traps always the same? If so, could you give a few examples in a picture box like you did for the various 'bags'? I just try and avoid anything on the floor that won't light up and give me a discription. :) If they are the same, I could relatively safely walk over some of them. Like teleport to other place on same level of dungeon or ice storm, etc. if I knew what they were. Thanks for all the stuff you've done so far. VERY helpful.

I'll try to look at traps soon. You know, this is a pretty complicated game! whew! :)

Shadow
09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
You will fail a meeting quest if you interrupt the meeting (basically attack) and then leave the area. You don't have to leave the entire level to fail just get too far.

A specific trap type will always looks the same.

PixelLord
09-06-2010, 03:52 PM
You will fail a meeting quest if you interrupt the meeting (basically attack) and then leave the area. You don't have to leave the entire level to fail just get too far.

A specific trap type will always looks the same.

Thankyou sir! That's what I needed to know. :)

Oasisbhrnw
09-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I've ran into a bizarre issue. The town I am in has 14 levels, currently I can only get to level 7. This is because....there doesn't seem to be any to get to level 8 from level 7. I've looked EVERYWHERE for hidden walls/etc, there is just no stairs to the next level. I even checked every inch of the previous levels for unknown gates, but they don't take me past level 7. The town isn't saved yet either.

Is it possible for a level to spawn with no way to get to the next level?

PixelLord
09-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I've ran into a bizarre issue. The town I am in has 14 levels, currently I can only get to level 7. This is because....there doesn't seem to be any to get to level 8 from level 7. I've looked EVERYWHERE for hidden walls/etc, there is just no stairs to the next level. I even checked every inch of the previous levels for unknown gates, but they don't take me past level 7. The town isn't saved yet either.

Is it possible for a level to spawn with no way to get to the next level?

No, I don't believe so. Yes, it's possible that you are experiencing some strange bug, but I believe that you might be missing a secret room (illusionary walls) or something. If you haven't already, read this stuff: http://www.stephenhornback.com/id84.html If this doesn't help, you might have to abandon that town. :( There probably REALLY IS a way to get through level 7. Hope you find it. :)

PixelLord
09-18-2010, 11:46 PM
And.... Damn I love this game!!

Oasisbhrnw
09-18-2010, 11:58 PM
No, I don't believe so. Yes, it's possible that you are experiencing some strange bug, but I believe that you might be missing a secret room (illusionary walls) or something. If you haven't already, read this stuff: http://www.stephenhornback.com/id84.html If this doesn't help, you might have to abandon that town. :( There probably REALLY IS a way to get through level 7. Hope you find it. :)

I found it! The graphic on that link that you sent me helped me figure out where to look. Thanks!

This game gets better and better the more I play it.

Oasisbhrnw
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Can you get elite/artifact items from gambling?

DeathKnight1728
09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes i believe that you can. In depths of peril, i once gambled and got an artifact twohanded sword just for 20 silver coins :eek:

drabyss78
09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Hello,

I am entirely new to RPGs, but games like Din's Curse and Torchlight have made me desperately want to sink my teeth into them.

I have been playing through thew Din's Curse demo and have made as far as Savage Lair level 6. My question is: how do I upgrade my weapons skills. I have added a few to my inventory, but run into requires such strength or axe, two handed sword, etc skill... So far I have been able to use a club, though I have found/purchased knives, bows, two handed swords etc.

Also, when I start the game, I select priest for my character, but he looks like the hybrid. Do the all start out this way?

I am a Mac user with an old single click mouse, so I am using command-click rather than right click, but this seems to work fine for eating fruit, health potions. etc; though I have a right clicking optical mouse on the way.

Incidentally, it runs nicely on my older Mac, an old dual 1GHz G4/867 SDRAM, running 10.5.7.

Thanks in advance for any help. Great game so far!!

Jim

drabyss78
09-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Looking back at my own post, I did find a way to upgrade my strength to 12 (I think), but did not see any way to updgrade the weapons skills.

Thanks again,

Jim

Shadow
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I am entirely new to RPGs, but games like Din's Curse and Torchlight have made me desperately want to sink my teeth into them.

I have been playing through thew Din's Curse demo and have made as far as Savage Lair level 6. My question is: how do I upgrade my weapons skills. I have added a few to my inventory, but run into requires such strength or axe, two handed sword, etc skill... So far I have been able to use a club, though I have found/purchased knives, bows, two handed swords etc.

Also, when I start the game, I select priest for my character, but he looks like the hybrid. Do the all start out this way?

I am a Mac user with an old single click mouse, so I am using command-click rather than right click, but this seems to work fine for eating fruit, health potions. etc; though I have a right clicking optical mouse on the way.

Welcome to our forums and RPGs Jim!

Different classes can use different weapon types. In general, warrior types can use the most types and mage types the least. Priests can only use mace and staff type weapons.

The classes do look similar at the start. As you level up they look a bit different based on what kinds of weapons and armor you equip.

Whenever the game says right click, command-click should work.

drabyss78
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for your help. That explains a lot.

So do I have to start fro scratch, or can I swap out characters somehow.

I am getting CRUSHED on level six by all of those big Torvas (???) and fire guys.

Thanks again!

Shadow
09-22-2010, 04:25 PM

You can put some of those weapons you can't use (or any other items) into your shared stash and if you start a new character they can grab those weapons and hopefully use them. The 2 characters won't be in the same world, but they can share items through the shared stash.

You can always go back to an old character by hitting Play instead of Resume btw.

Amberjoy
09-22-2010, 04:42 PM
You can put some of those weapons you can't use (or any other items) into your shared stash and if you start a new character they can grab those weapons and hopefully use them. The 2 characters won't be in the same world, but they can share items through the shared stash.

You can always go back to an old character by hitting Play instead of Resume btw.

That's what I've been doing. Putting stuff I can't use or is too weak for my character or might be able to use later into the shared chest. I started out playing a Priest character too but quickly changed to warrior-weapon master. You might want to change and start over, every town is different anyway. Be sure to put food, potions, armor, weapons in the shared chest a low level character can use. It helps a lot to get new character an edge with the shared stuff. :)

PixelLord
09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for your help. That explains a lot.

I am getting CRUSHED on level six by all of those big Torvas (???) and fire guys.

Thanks again!

Also, to see what weapons each character type can use, you can go to this link: http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html and if the chart doesn't help you, there's a list that follows this. At the bottom of that screen there's a Back to Din's Curse Help that you can click on. There's a walkthrough and a lot of other useful information there.

Remember that when you're attacking, you can just hold down the number "1" button on your keyboard while holding your mouse over whatever you want to attack.

drabyss78
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all thre replies.

I did wind up starting a warrior and a new world (Carnivorous Caverns) , which worked much better for me. I got a much better feel for the game and was able to easily upgrade. I wound up at Level 5 and found an unknown gate which sent me first to a much later level where I was promptly crushed. I found it again (deliberately) and found world lost and had to create a new one and start from scratch. Lesson learned, I suppose--unkown gates are risky business... Now I have worked back up to six and upgraded my strength, etc as I go. Like I said, I think I am getting a better feel.

It's especially fun to go through the bestiary and check out the monster profiles and how many I've offed.

Question about the ice bombs and like items. I don't seem to be using them correctly. I first opened up my inventory and wound up using them before I closed it. So I thought I'd be clever and put them in my skills slots at the bottom. This worked, but I seemed to fire all four I put there at once somehow, and didn't really see what happened. Can anyone help me on using them properly.

Also, they are burned out and stuck in my skills slots. I have tried to delete (key) as instructed, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks again,

Jim

DeathKnight1728
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Ive been through numerous characters all of which were melee and none of which were ranged or magic. I would like to make a good melee character that uses a few magic spells as a way of destroying the little guys thus making the big guys go toe to toe with me.

I am naturally a fan of the rogue subclasses because i like their sneaky nature. I am looking to see if any of these magic subclasses would go with an assassin build. Here are the ones that i have drawn up:

1) Assassin/Sorcerer-This one would be great for the shockwave which i tried a little. Shockwave would get rid of all the little guys stunning some as well. I am not so sure how this will work on defense since this build will just get a .5 defense.

2)Assassin/Icemage-Another pretty good one. With the synergy of charged strike and ice mastery, along with ice armor and iceprison for defense, might not be a bad idea. Again there is almost no defense with this build as well.

3)Assassin/shaman-This one is kind of like meh. Dont get me wrong the endurance blessing with an assassin is cool, but im not sure how powerful holyfire will be down the line. Luckily for this one the defense is offset by the mass amount of life i will have.

4)Assassin/Warlock-This last one would be a distracting character due to summons and lethal blow. Basically i would use a fury/demon mastery and a few curses mixed with lethal blow. The thing is this build might be good. I played around with curses a little and they were ok, but the fury i heard is really good and can hold its own. With a few of them, i can hold the front and fight as well.

If anyone has used any of these and or knows a good way to offset the low defense problem, I'll take any advice. I've never really used a mage character in dins curse and all im looking for is the ability to take out all the little guys with a few spells and then mop up the boss through melee.

Shadow
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Question about the ice bombs and like items. I don't seem to be using them correctly. I first opened up my inventory and wound up using them before I closed it. So I thought I'd be clever and put them in my skills slots at the bottom. This worked, but I seemed to fire all four I put there at once somehow, and didn't really see what happened. Can anyone help me on using them properly.

Also, they are burned out and stuck in my skills slots. I have tried to delete (key) as instructed, but it doesn't seem to work.

To use ice bombs: right click to use and then left click somewhere on the map to specify where to throw them.

If your Mac is like mine, you have 2 keys that say delete on them (which is still weird to me). The game is expecting you to use the non-backspace one.

abomination5
09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
1) Assassin/Sorcerer-This one would be great for the shockwave which i tried a little. Shockwave would get rid of all the little guys stunning some as well. I am not so sure how this will work on defense since this build will just get a .5 defense.

2)Assassin/Icemage: Another pretty good one. With the synergy of charged strike and ice mastery, along with ice armor and iceprison for defense, might not be a bad idea. Again there is almost no defense with this build as well.

You should try them out yourself but here is my take.

Assassin/Sorcerer: Shockwave is very weak in terms of damage and doesn't stun very often either. You'd be better of taking thunderbolt, which stuns a 100% of the time. You only need one point. Keep the boss stun locked and hammer away. You'd also want one point in tornado, which will make your enemies immobile for a time ( they can still attack, so it doesn't help if you get surrounded). Sorcerer doesn't have a good AOE, expect tornado, which is not suitable for a primary damage spell because of its cooldown.

Assassin/Icemage: Ice prison is nice for survival but ice armor isn't too great. Even with very high armor bosses can do a ton of damage. I have a gladiator with over 5000 armor, but I can still be killed fairly easily by some bosses. I believe ice armor gives you about 40 per point. Not too hot. You're best bet for AOE attack is shatter because it does high damage, allows you to stay farther away from enemies than ice nova and doesn't increase in cost with levels. It's probably the best AOE in the game.

I haven't seriously messed with shaman or warlock so I won't comment. I've read holy fire is weak but double hitpoints is always nice.

Let us know how things turn out.

DeathKnight1728
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've never actually used shatter. Do the enemies explode like corpse explosion from d2. I'm actually surprised you recommended shatter. A kid i played online with the other night swore on frost nova and said that shatter didnt have as much aoe as nova.

abomination5
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've never actually used shatter. Do the enemies explode like corpse explosion from d2. I'm actually surprised you recommended shatter. A kid i played online with the other night swore on frost nova and said that shatter didnt have as much aoe as nova.

Sort of. You can target shatter on an enemy far away. When that enemy dies from shatter all the enemies around it take damage. They don't graphically explode unfortunately. On my high level ice mage, when the first enemy dies from shatter the rest are likely to go down.

Frost nova is still good but it shoots out in radius around you so you have to get much closer to damage enemies. I've tried both on a high level character and I prefer shatter.

DeathKnight1728
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Would it be possible to use neither of them, and instead just use charged strike from assassin tree. Unlike frost nova, strike does receive the bonus from ice mastery resulting in a lot more damage. Even though i have to get up close to use, this build is going to be up close and the slow effect is what im really looking for. I wish shatter had the slow affect, but then i might as well label best skill in the game to it as it already is great.

Vifarc
09-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I am naturally a fan of the rogue subclasses because i like their sneaky nature. I am looking to see if any of these magic subclasses would go with an assassin build.
Or you could try with the Hunter(Ranger), as he is too sneaky (Light Touch).
He uses the Bow, the Cape (but casters should have it too), has a Defense Bonus, can set traps, has mana (Infused Energy).

DeathKnight1728
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
The hunter is a great class, however I am a melee based player. Appreciate the idea though. Right now i decided to go along with the assassin/shaman to make the ultimate badass melee char. Im lvl 7 and i already have 200 health :eek:and all of the offensive benefits to being an assassin. Abomination, you should try this one out, its a pretty cool mix-in and there are skills that i havent even put points into (champion and divine intervention).

abomination5
09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I've sometimes wondered whether shaman or gladiator is better for survivability. I'll have to give the assassin/shaman a try at some point. Melee classes are a bit weak compared to ranged classes but they can make for a nice challenge.

So far my two favorite classes are hunter and ice mage. Hunter is a very versatile class. Barbed arrow is extremely powerful and the net trap is awesome for crowd control. A few points in net trap and you can keep a whole room of monsters immobile for a decent amount of time. It's not too hard to get over 100% crit/deep wounds with barbed arrow, which allows my hunter to one shot almost anything.

The ice mage is awesome for shatter and permafrost. I have -60% cast time gloves with a -30% cast time staff. I can destroy the enemies before they can even get close. Permafrost is to keep bosses slowed.

Depending on my work schedule, I hope to play some games online this weekend. Do I need to open any ports to host a game?

DeathKnight1728
09-24-2010, 11:09 PM
It's definitely the shaman. Though the gladiator will give you more armor. Armor is not always better in cases of this game. I just fought a lvl 10 elite mimic 4 times bigger than me with critical strike at lvl 7. If i was any other melee class i would be dead.

timeh
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Would it be possible to use neither of them, and instead just use charged strike from assassin tree. Unlike frost nova, strike does receive the bonus from ice mastery resulting in a lot more damage. Even though i have to get up close to use, this build is going to be up close and the slow effect is what im really looking for. I wish shatter had the slow affect, but then i might as well label best skill in the game to it as it already is great.

i've got a high level assassin/ice mage (76+) with just charged strike, crit, the tier 1 single target melee move from assassin tree (can't remember name) and ice mastery

after the first map, every map on the highest starting level possible, takes care of everything no sweat

you can hit everything on the run and only take a hit if you are careless or unlucky... just don't use rightclick (casting skills with numbers doesn't stop you from moving)

stamina becomes a nonissue when all the mobs are slowed too :)

PixelLord
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Starting to add the Demon War Expansion Pack stuff to the help site including the new Demon Hunter Character Class which has the Reaver, Warden and Demonologist sub classes.

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html

Stephen Hornback

Serafina Aketchi
12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I just started playing this game. I played online and it was fun. Thanks for the guide, i read it a bit before i played. Im still not sure if my character class will work though.

jeremyosborne
12-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Starting to add the Demon War Expansion Pack stuff to the help site including the new Demon Hunter Character Class which has the Reaver, Warden and Demonologist sub classes.

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html

Stephen Hornback

PixelLord (and of course Shadow),

The Prima Donna option made me laugh. I don't usually go in for the more masochistic options, but I think I'm going to have to make a Prima Donna + Hunger + Only Hope... some class that I'll think of after staring at the options long enough. Probably name it something like Karen Carpenter.

Roswitha
12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
The Prima Donna option made me laugh. I don't usually go in for the more masochistic options, but I think I'm going to have to make a Prima Donna + Hunger + Only Hope... some class that I'll think of after staring at the options long enough. Probably name it something like Karen Carpenter.

:D

Don't quite see where the Only Hope fits in, though.

jeremyosborne
12-21-2010, 02:58 PM
:D

Don't quite see where the Only Hope fits in, though.

It doesn't fit. The '...' indicates the beginning of my failure of an emaciated Obi Wan joke, and the character name is just my attempt to salvage the joke at the last minute.

Despite the silliness, I do think those are the first challenges that really do seem fun. Nice work!

(Now I'll stop polluting the Help for Beginner's Thread.)

PixelLord
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
PixelLord (and of course Shadow),

Actually in Prima Donna, the character can only fight one handed as she has a Yorkie or Chiwawa in the other. ;)

DeathKnight1728
12-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the info on demon hunter. Ive got a question pixellord, do you know when we will be able to see the demon hunter class. I am very interested and are you working directly with shadow? Thanks.

PixelLord
12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the info on demon hunter. Ive got a question pixellord, do you know when we will be able to see the demon hunter class. I am very interested and are you working directly with shadow? Thanks.

You could just ask Shadow, but it's my understanding that the Demon War Expansion pack should go beta shortly after Christmas. Shadow wanted it sooner, but wanted to finish up a few things plus add some polish. And, yes, I'm lucky enough to be working with Shadow. :) BTW, there is a LOT of cool new stuff in the expansion!!!!

Serafina Aketchi
12-22-2010, 03:10 PM
the site says theres a warden class. will he be able to lock someone up or can he use magic to anihilate monsters?

and what is the demonologist part of the class?

PixelLord
12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I have been meaning to add trap information to the "Help for Beginners" website that I created. I've been really busy with getting the Demon War Expansion ready, so I apologize for how long it has taken me to add this information to the help site. I especially want to thank Jeremy Osborne as I used all of his information (and pictures) to create the traps table. The traps table of information can be found here:

http://www.stephenhornback.com/id90.html

I still need to add more information about how a trap specifically affects the player (i.e. curse decreases your strength by ? percent).

jeremyosborne
12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for posting this up PixelLord. Glad I could contribute in some way.

I still need to add more information about how a trap specifically affects the player (i.e. curse decreases your strength by ? percent).

I spent some time looking through the prototype relationships in the .gdb files yesterday when I was looking for the traps. Unless I missed something, I think we'll need at least some basic formula from Shadow that would allow me to convert "trap level" into "impact of effect." It looked like most of the traps have a specific size - big or small - and also have a trap level.

If there isn't any internal formula that needs to be dug up from the code, I'll go through the data files and pull out the information and put it in a table.

Amberjoy
12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the trap tables! I kept forgetting what they were and running into trouble. :)

FloodSpectre
12-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Don't forget to mention that the "magic explosion" trap specifically does Magic-type damage, which is why it tends to hit so heavily. Many characters are a bit lacking in magic resistance...

jeremyosborne
12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Don't forget to mention that the "magic explosion" trap specifically does Magic-type damage, which is why it tends to hit so heavily. Many characters are a bit lacking in magic resistance...

PixelLord is most likely extremely busy helping to get the expansion ready for beta and beyond.

In the mean time, I had added an additional column about damage type in the tables that I put together:

PDF version
https://github.com/downloads/jeremyosborne/dinscurse-mods/KnowYourDinsCurseTraps.pdf

(zipped up) HTML + images:
https://github.com/downloads/jeremyosborne/dinscurse-mods/KnowYourDinsCurseTraps.zip

I'm sure over time we'll get all of this information gathered together and organized in an easy to digest format.

Shadow
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I spent some time looking through the prototype relationships in the .gdb files yesterday when I was looking for the traps. Unless I missed something, I think we'll need at least some basic formula from Shadow that would allow me to convert "trap level" into "impact of effect." It looked like most of the traps have a specific size - big or small - and also have a trap level.

In general trap damage is 9-15 + 4-8 per level. You can find this in skills.gdb in entry SkillTrapBase.

Aet
01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Has anyone compiled a list of which spells do gain a boost/are based on weapon damage, vs those indifferent to it?

Roswitha
01-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Not sure if this is in there or not.

If you have a quest to look for plans, you're looking for a Secret Document. If you find something that says Plans, it's the start point for a completely different quest; right click on it to find out what.

Erevos
04-10-2011, 01:22 PM
i have a problem... i cant assign mouse wheel to change the 3 skill tabs for my RMB,

PixelLord
04-10-2011, 08:34 PM
i have a problem... i cant assign mouse wheel to change the 3 skill tabs for my RMB,

You should be able to do the following:

Select "Options" and then "Configure Input"
At the bottom of the second column you'll see "Mouse Wheel Action". Click on the down arrow and select "Scroll right click skills". Then select "OK" and finally "Back" on the next screen. Now you're mouse wheel should scroll through the right click skills (but you won't be able to zoom with the mouse wheel anymore).

Erevos
04-11-2011, 04:09 AM
You should be able to do the following:

Select "Options" and then "Configure Input"
At the bottom of the second column you'll see "Mouse Wheel Action". Click on the down arrow and select "Scroll right click skills". Then select "OK" and finally "Back" on the next screen. Now you're mouse wheel should scroll through the right click skills (but you won't be able to zoom with the mouse wheel anymore).

thanks mate, i didnt noticed it...

Soundwave
05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Just a quick question, do you get anything for clearing all the levels of a dungeon?

Shadow
05-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Just a quick question, do you get anything for clearing all the levels of a dungeon?

There's a small XP bonus.

PixelLord
05-02-2011, 12:34 PM

You get an XP bonus for each level cleared, but I'm not sure if you get anything extra for clearing ALL the levels. I think that would be extremely hard to do, if not impossible. I'd be great to get a big reward for doing something like that.

Soundwave
05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd be great to get a big reward for doing something like that.

I'd like that, maybe a chest with loot based on what level the world is and how many floors the dungeon has?

Antigrav
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd like that, maybe a chest with loot based on what level the world is and how many floors the dungeon has?

This would all be taking place once the town is already saved, right? The act of clearing every floor in the dungeon would mean taking care of all the bosses, machines, uprisings, everything.

Manumitted
05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
At most respawn rates and dunjon depths, it would be impossible to clear all the levels at once, especially when entering one level often triggers the respawn of another level. Simply clearing each of the levels once is not that difficult.

PixelLord
11-05-2011, 11:30 AM
You can easily just list a few suggestions of builds that work........

I'll start a new thread asking for suggestions of character (Hybrid) builds that work well, and I'll add these to the character creation page on my help site. I still haven't tried many of the hybrid combinations myself, so I'll need some help from players who've tried other builds.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

PixelLord
11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for this guide for the beginners like me. It really helps me a lot from finding myself in this forum. :))

Welcome to the forums, ledzef! Glad you find it helpful. :)

Chrisofrays
10-03-2012, 02:28 AM
hey all new here really like this game. any tips on levelling a standard ranger class? ive messed up levelling before in other rpgs lol :S

PixelLord
03-09-2014, 10:36 AM
PLEASE NOTE!! My guides for Din's Curse are being moved to the Steam Guides. The links to my help site will soon be invalid. Why? Because I'll save $300 a year. :)

So use or bookmark to the new link below:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/217290/guides/ - anyone can use these guides (you do NOT need to be a Steam member).