View Full Version : Steam

svetlano
05-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Hello all,

One simple question.
Will Din's Curse be relased on Steam ?

Shadow
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm about to start trying to get DC on Steam, so we will see.

svetlano
05-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm about to start trying to get DC on Steam, so we will see.
Hi Shadow, guess you are one of the developers.
I'd like to insert it in my steam library, it's handy to have all games grouped togheter.
Let's hope you will have success ;)

Jorlen
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm sure being on Steam will bump up the sales. If there's a forum section I'll be sure to help spread some positive impressions. Good luck!

Gorgarax
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Shadow, guess you are one of the developers.

For the record, shadow is THE developer.

Teddy
05-18-2010, 01:00 PM
To be honest, if it wasn't for having "Diablo 3" as a keyword in my daily Google News list I would have never heard about DC. Advertising is currently holding back this game substantially. I never heard of the previous games either, and I love ARPG's.

I first saw Torchlight (another well done ARPG) at PAX Prime 2009, and played that game to death and it's doing very well on Steam.

Steam should be a good advertising platform for Soldak and get more eyes on DC.

udm
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
For the record, shadow is THE developer.
Emphasis on the ;)

Delilah Rehm
05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
We'd love to get all of our games on Steam, but they're kind of picky so we can't guarantee Din's will make the cut. I hope it does though. Steam is amazing, offering a unique customer experience. No other portal comes close!

Teddy
05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
I've seen some of the slag that appears on Steam, and while not having played DoP or KU (only heard about DC a week ago), I can't see any reason why DC would be rejected.

Mind you the only sucky part is i have a pile of steam games, and short of buying DC again I won't gain the advantages of a steam version (ie in-game steam chat). I'm not sure how voice is handled, but it would awesome if steam's voice chat could somehow be worked in. Hell, that alone might be worth re-purchasing the steam version.

Jorlen
05-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Honestly, if DC doesn't make the cut, let us know, and we'll bombard them with letters.

Steam has some great games, but they also have GARBAGE. When I say garbage, I do mean broken buggy games that 95% of people agree were a waste of cash.

Din's Curse is most certainly NOT in that category and deserves to be on Steam. Seriously.

torikamal
05-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I think one of the advantages that DC will have is that it can also be released simultaneously on the Mac side of Steam and I'm sure that they will be all about releasing stuff on the Mac Side since it just opened.

If DC gets on, I'd be surprised if Kivi's Underworld doesn't make it on because Steam loves to do developer library sales.

Here's to hoping DC gets on Steam.

Also, if for some reason they don't want DC, you can be like...uh...but you let in Hazen!

svetlano
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Depths of Peril is there, why they shouldn't allow DC?

I think you will soon have a Soldak library.

udm
05-19-2010, 06:19 AM
We'd love to get all of our games on Steam, but they're kind of picky so we can't guarantee Din's will make the cut. I hope it does though. Steam is amazing, offering a unique customer experience. No other portal comes close!
As a consumer, though, I have to say I prefer Impulse :)

Kruztee
05-19-2010, 07:22 AM
I'd buy a 3rd copy if DC ever got on Steam. I really like it as a way of keeping many of my games together and organised.

dnuggs40
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM

I think DC should have no issues making the cut...considering STEAM approves half baked games like Hazen :p

I'd buy a 3rd copy if DC ever got on Steam. I really like it as a way of keeping many of my games together and organised.

Completely agree. I used to be a bit weary of steam (and other digital platforms), but now it's where I primarily buy games. Even non-steam games I register the exe's to my games lists so I can launch them from steam.

Jorlen
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I'll gift a copy of DC to a friend if it ends up on steam. So already you have a few sales guaranteed for your steam efforts lol ;)

svetlano
05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Please Shadow,
keep us updated on the deal ;)

Viliki
05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I think DC should have no issues making the cut...considering STEAM approves half baked games like Hazen :p

Completely agree. I used to be a bit weary of steam (and other digital platforms), but now it's where I primarily buy games. Even non-steam games I register the exe's to my games lists so I can launch them from steam.
Yes Hazen is a little scandalous, I bought it. :eek:

Anyway I'm worry to not contribute to make Steam an elephant that pressure the market. Also I don't like much how intrusive is Steam. But I can only admit the good points, like multi language support, the time spend in a game or no DVD/CD to insert. And the last move in Mac market is a blow pushing me change my mind more fully. Well, I also know the bad points like too intrusive, late patches or no guaranty they'll support all xp.

You seem have tested fully register external game into steam, what are the benefit? I was wondering if Steam also time the time spend in external games, it's a feature I really like even if I also don't like at all that this information is stored inside Steam and have no clear guaranty about those data.

dnuggs40
05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
All it does is allow you to launch the games from your game list. It doesn't update them, allow to to download them, or anything like that. I guess it's an organizational thing.

Basically STEAM is my main "gaming command center" now, even for games external to it.

svetlano
05-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I was wondering if Steam also time the time spend in external games, it's a feature I really like even if I also don't like at all that this information is stored inside Steam and have no clear guaranty about those data.
No, it doesn't track external games spent time.
And yes, i like this funcion too, it's like to have your whole gaming history at fingertips, either i like so mutch being able to reinstall a game without being forced to search Gamefiles, Dvds and patches around.
For this i'll skip buyng DC for the moment, even if enjoying the demo alot, i really want to start the full version but i'd prefer to do it on Steam.
I'll buy Dephts of Peril on Steam in the meantime the deal is being discussed to support Soldak for the moment.

udm
05-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I bought DoP last time via BMTMicro, and asked Steven if he could install it into my Impulse account. He, and the folks at Impulse, very kindly did. This is why I had no hesitation about buying Din's during the beta period, as I know I can probably count on Soldak again. This is what I call service excellence :)

Shadow
05-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Well I have at least contacted Valve about getting Din's Curse on Steam. We'll see how that goes.

svetlano
05-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Well I have at least contacted Valve about getting Din's Curse on Steam. We'll see how that goes.

Well let's hope they accept it fast !
I bought in the meantime, Depths of Peril on Steam last night.
I had trouble stop playing it: amazing game !
Keep up the good work !

Viliki
05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
All it does is allow you to launch the games from your game list. It doesn't update them, allow to to download them, or anything like that. I guess it's an organizational thing...

No, it doesn't track external games spent time.
And yes, i like this funcion too, it's like to have your whole gaming history at fingertips, ...

Thanks both for answer, but now I think of it, it's totally weird that I liked the game collection plus time tracking and could only imagine Steam for that.

That's totally basic stuff and a little app could do it much better and would not store information elsewhere.

It remind me I had a little tool that records meters done by the mouse so I had the sum of kilometers done after some time. Ha we knew have fun from little pleasures, that time is over. :)

svetlano
05-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Well, in the end i decided to not wait for the Steam version and bought the game, loving it so mutch.
I see some minor aspect i would change though: like, for example the drop rate and quality of rare and very rare items.
I feel like they are dropping too mutch and their quality it's just average and very often it happens that i prefer to stick with green stuff.
I'd reduce the drop rate of those and make them stronger, more diversified, particular, and for example with some visual improvements like glowing , shadowing sparkling and so on, so when it happens you drop one, you really feel you got a beast of a item.
Let's say from what i've seen so far, that i'd do a mass items upgrade, insert more sets, actually, sometimes it feels like you are dropping tons of "more of the same" stuff.
I will discuss this better later when i'll be at least 30 hours of gameplay.
But as now, it is for me the only "complaint" i have with the game, and in my opinion in a Dungeon Crowler items add really a big value and keep the game fresh like the outstanding randomization of the world the game already has.

Jorlen
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
How's the steam situation coming along? I noticed Echalon: Book II is on there, and this may not be sound reasoning, but I figure if they (and many other indie devs) can make it there, so can Soldak with Din's Curse?

Shadow
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
How's the steam situation coming along? I noticed Echalon: Book II is on there, and this may not be sound reasoning, but I figure if they (and many other indie devs) can make it there, so can Soldak with Din's Curse?

I haven't heard back from them. I will bug them again soon.

Lelldorianx
07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Don't forget about GamersGate (http://www.gamersgate.com/) and D2D (http://www.direct2drive.com/).

GamersGate is a fantastic platform for games... I love it ;)

Pheelon
07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Don't forget about GamersGate (http://www.gamersgate.com/) and D2D (http://www.direct2drive.com/).

both are quite nice idd - but seeing as my favorite platform Impulse allready has Din's Curse i can live without ehm too ;)

udm
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Agree. For me, it's either GamersGate or Impulse. Not a huge fan of Steam, for me I use it out of necessitation rather than preference. GG on the other hand, now those guys have some fine support and they're so transparent about their stand on DRM - and actually live up to it - that it's hard not to like them.

Shadow
07-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I will probably push some of the portals more next week again.

Lelldorianx
07-18-2010, 03:33 AM
and they're so transparent about their stand on DRM - and actually live up to it - that it's hard not to like them.

Yes! That's why I love sites like GG. They are totally open about DRM, even the ones using SecuROM :( are listed. I'd have to agree: Steam I use because (as lame as this sounds) everyone else does, but GG I use whenever possible.

duncandun
07-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I recommend trying Impulse as well. Hits an audience that is both different and the same as steam.

udm
07-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Already there ;) (http://www.impulsedriven.com/dinscurse)

Shadow
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
So far we have gotten Din's Curse on Mac Game Store and Impulse.

udm
07-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Has Gamersgate responded yet?

Mivo
07-22-2010, 08:01 AM
GG is actually the only one of the bigger services that I'd consider gettinggames from. Steam isn't my cup (but I know it's popular, so definitely worth getting DC on). I prefer buying directly, though (and that's how I purchased the three Soldak games, Torchlight, etc. too).

Shadow
07-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Has Gamersgate responded yet?

Actually they have, they are waiting on me.

Shadow
08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Well the guys over on Steam finally got back to us. Unfortunately they told us they were going to pass on distributing DC on Steam. :(

So if you were waiting, I would suggest you buy the game directly from us, buy from one of the other portals that we are on (currently Impulse and Mac Game Store), or politely bug the Steam folks.

bergotronic
08-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Well the guys over on Steam finally got back to us. Unfortunately they told us they were going to pass on distributing DC on Steam. :(

So if you were waiting, I would suggest you buy the game directly from us, buy from one of the other portals that we are on (currently Impulse and Mac Game Store), or politely bug the Steam folks.

WTF:eek: - Hello - lurker here. I first heard about Din's Curse from rock paper shotgun. I was very impressed by the demo and have been wanting to purchase the game. I turned a couple of my friends on to the game as well.

I'd like to buy this on steam as this is where I have most of my games - Who can I bug about getting this on steam? Some general steam support email?

Thanks!

udm
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Shadow: **** Steam, what the hell? Did they specify any reason for rejecting DC? Granted I'm no fan of Steam, but I do know people who'd prefer buying the game there, like the above poster bergotronic.

Shadow
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
I really don't know who you would contact exactly. There's this forum (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15) on Steam that might be a reasonable place to post something.

The Steam guys in general don't give reasons why.

Jorlen
08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I really don't know who you would contact exactly. There's this forum (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15) on Steam that might be a reasonable place to post something.

The Steam guys in general don't give reasons why.

What a steaming heap. They can reject a game and not give a reason? I just lost a whole lot of respect for steam and will think twice about buying games there. Din's Curse is much better than TONS of the stuff they're selling. This is BS.

udm
08-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Forget Steam, get the game from Gamersgate. I understand the desire for consolidation - I personally have this sentiment too - but really, Steam is just a glorified rental service, judging by the many horror stories I've read. Besides, Gamersgate's reward system is excellent, so if a game is already on discount, you basically get a discount on top of a discount.

Anyway, congrats on getting Din's on to Gamersgate :)

Godot
08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I always disliked Steam, for quite some reasons that are not important right now.

Just get the game from the main developer, they get all the money, and if your scared they will close up someday and You'll loose the game, just download it, and burn it on a normal CD...

Kruztee
08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Just to add a bit of balance to the thread, I'll say that I quite like Steam and would preferably buy any of my games on it.

Perhaps it's not immediately apparent to gamers from the US, but Steam (primarilly) was the reason that big games retailers in countries like Australia can now no longer price gouge PC gamers to the tune of often 100% markup on US prices. EB and Game franchises only sell console stuff now as a result, and good riddance to them. Of course I fully support indie developers that sell directly to the consumer, thus cutting distribution costs significantly. I have bought all Soldak games (multiple times) directly, but would still get a Steam copy if it ever became available.

In 6 years, I've never had any negative experience with the Steam platform, for what it's worth.

getter77
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Wow, I'd have thought Din's was a lock for Steam. Seems to be the same kind of "response" that Recettear game is dealing with---I believe fans of that one have taken to sending Gabe polite email outright. They too recently got accepted into Impulse and are seeing about Gamersgate.

So bizarre...

PixelLord
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM
The "Games are Evil" review of Din's Curse started out: "When someone tells you that they are playing the second coming of Diablo II, you normally would sit up and take notice. I naturally thought he was speaking of Torchlight, a game most people know about but instead he was speaking of Dinís Curse, a indie game that when mentioned draws blank stares."

Guess not enough people have heard of Din's Curse yet. Hopefully that will change soon. :) Then maybe Steam will change their minds.

udm
08-18-2010, 03:54 PM
By the way, I noticed that Gamersgate only has the Mac version of Din's. Will it be getting the Windows version too? I am slowly moving away from Impulse, and "porting" my games to Gamersgate instead. If there's going to be a Windows version, I'll likely buy it again during a sale.

Shadow
08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
By the way, I noticed that Gamersgate only has the Mac version of Din's. Will it be getting the Windows version too? I am slowly moving away from Impulse, and "porting" my games to Gamersgate instead. If there's going to be a Windows version, I'll likely buy it again during a sale.

I asked them about that. I was told their Windows installer guy was out of town last week and DC Win should be up there soon.

svetlano
08-19-2010, 06:18 AM

Totally unexpected.
How could we try to make'em change their minds ?
Only not trying the game deeply, could have led them to this ridicolous decision.

derailed
08-20-2010, 01:39 PM
it is up on gamersgate now btw

udm
08-20-2010, 02:19 PM
To those who can't get it on Steam: give Gamersgate a try. I'm not a rabid fanboy of their services, at least not yet, but so far their support has been great, and I really like the blue coins system. I now have USD10 worth of blue coins, enough to get me a pretty decent game. Furthermore, you can actually back the games up on to physical media. I understand consolidation of digital distribution platforms may be an issue to many people, so it's a personal choice at the end of the day.

Magitek
08-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Farewell Din's Curse only ticket to mainstream :< (and farewell thousands in profit)

Maybe you can re-request once the expansion is completed? They are probably resistant because torchlight is already on there, and torchlight looks seriously bling compared to Din's Curse.

derailed
08-21-2010, 12:28 AM
To those who can't get it on Steam: give Gamersgate a try. I'm not a rabid fanboy of their services, at least not yet, but so far their support has been great, and I really like the blue coins system. I now have USD10 worth of blue coins, enough to get me a pretty decent game. Furthermore, you can actually back the games up on to physical media. I understand consolidation of digital distribution platforms may be an issue to many people, so it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
agree with this. gamersgate is my favourite download shop, outside of just buying directly from devs anyway. I love that there is nothing that ties the downloaded install files from each game to the gamersgate site after you run the setup file once to get rid of the downloader encryption. got all my 400 or so games from gamersgate backed up locally on an external disk. :cool:

Farewell Din's Curse only ticket to mainstream :< (and farewell thousands in profit) Maybe you can re-request once the expansion is completed? They are probably resistant because torchlight is already on there, and torchlight looks seriously bling compared to Din's Curse.
nah, I'm convinced it's because of the pricing. indie titles are lesser games to them and should be 10/15 dollars. it's definitely nothing to do with what kind of game it is and what it looks like. same reason you don't see any spiderweb software games on steam, even though those are some of the BEST rpgs on pc

Magitek
08-21-2010, 04:09 AM
"one-sided conversation at the moment with Steam claiming there are too many games similar to ours on the service." - Starruler declined by steam.
Starruler is 5 dollars more than Din's Curse but actually gave their reason.

I'm thinking din's is in the same category here. If the price for Din's Curse was too much, steam would probably negotiate if they were interested. In the end, only Shadow knows. (maybe?)

Starruler (two-man made 4x) comes out in the next few days for anyone interested... on everything but the steam platform.

udm
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
A few days? Nay my friend, it comes out today. Woohoo!

But I digress!

Max_Powers
08-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Here is what pisses me off about Steam doing this. Not too long back I purchased a game through them called Hazen . At the time it seemed like a cool episodic RPG that had some promise. So, it was on sale one day for like $4 or something and I picked it up. While downloading it I started reading the Steam forums for that game. I was shocked at what I read. Apparently the company went under, so there were going to be no more episodes. Also the game had so many bugs and flaws that the majority of the posts on the forum were asking if this had all been some bad joke.

So Steam definitely doesn't have this high level of standards for all its game. This is, however, the only bad thing I can say about Steam from using them for years now.

Shadow
08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I really don't know what their reasoning is. I know the little that they told me (which is close to the Starruler thing), but I really doubt that is the real (or full) story.

They never mentioned anything about price. If that was an issue I wish they would have at least mentioned it and gave us some kind of choice.

Delilah Rehm
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Also wanted to add, Soldak is working on 'the pretty.' Neither Steven or I are artists, though we love creatiing things. (Okay, I draw a bit, on paper! Doesn't really apply with understanding the digital stuff.) Hopefully we'll add more of an artist's input and perspective that will give the games an overall zing and pow that may be missing.

Even so, #1 is fun. :p

Pendler
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Also wanted to add, Soldak is working on 'the pretty.'
That's really good to hear, since the #1 point of criticism I keep seeing is the "dated" look. I'm sure more people would give your games a try in the first place, if you had a bit more eye candy to bait them.

However, personally, I think your games look rather amazing, given the size of the team behind them, especially in terms of texture work and basic creature design (I love the Scarabus Blaster, for example), so I hope you guys won't depart too much from the current style. And whoever is doing your textures, they really deserve a pat on the back. They're doing great things with even the more low-poly models, in my opinion.

PixelLord
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
As to helping the pretty, I'm pretty sure the next patch (1.007) will have a few texture modifications (not the monsters), some cool new effects (lightning springs to mind), and a few minor UI tweeks. Along with the other things Shadow has worked on, this patch should definitely be worth the download! :)

Vifarc
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I really don't know what their reasoning is.
Steam is only happy when they can monopolize good games with their DRM.

getter77
09-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Well, Star Ruler is finally coming to Steam as well...so I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, Din's will also be allowed at some near point.

It is kind of amazing how far they've come at this point, given the odd propensity of leaving money and further marketshare on the table with resect to Indies and whatnot.

Bak
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
...that will give the games an overall zing and pow that may be missing.

When I see a room full of barrels exploding in flame, as the entire ceiling is falling and an oversized Boss shaman is flinging poison clouds, with the screen shaking from critical hits, that is a bit more zing and pow than I can handle. :D

(I wouldn't mind a few more bottle images, to keep those potion strengths in mind.)

svetlano
02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey Shadow, have you got any news from the Steam guys ? It's still no deal at all ? How can i redownload my Din's i bought directly from here ? Still have my product key, but after a format the game and it's esecutable are gone. :(

Shadow
02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey Shadow, have you got any news from the Steam guys ? It's still no deal at all ? How can i redownload my Din's i bought directly from here ? Still have my product key, but after a format the game and it's esecutable are gone. :(

Nothing new so far. I'm planning on asking them again after the expansion is done.

I can turn your download back on. The easiest way is to email me (http://www.soldak.com/Company/Contact.html) from the email address that you bought the game with.

Ghost Matter
02-10-2011, 11:45 PM
If you get Steam achievements, find a way for us old-timers to get credit for our past deeds without redoing them ;) (and not give free achievements to the rest)

Shadow
03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Well it doesn't look like we are going to get Din's Curse on Steam any time soon as they said no again a few days ago. :(

Castruccio
03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Unbelievable. Valve was once the soul of PC Gaming, and now they seem to specialize in sapping the vitality from the soul of PC gaming.

Vifarc
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Valve seem to specialize in sapping the vitality from the soul of PC gaming.
Yes, Steam has stolen many good games: DoW2, Civilization5, 3 last Total War, ... :mad:
May GOG release them without the Steam drm someday.. :cool: