PDA

View Full Version : Din's Curse Avault Review

Desticato
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I just found this over at The Adrenaline Vault:

http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/dins-curse-pc-review/

While they're not the same site they were in their glory days, the staff at Avault are genuinely good people and tend to give fair reviews regardless of a game's origin or classification (i.e. Indie vs. AAA). Some of Michael's complaints are valid, while others appear to be merely due to his lack of familiarity with the game.

All-in-all, Din's gets a pretty respectable score of 4/5 stars, so I'd call it win.

Jorlen
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
It's a decent review but very lean, no mention of the many aspects and innovations that make Din's Curse stand out. Lately, I get the feeling that all these reviews are based on very little game play or effort.

You can't review Din's Curse and not mention the hybrid class system. You just can't.

Also, there are a few complains that I don't understand, namely this one, "And monsters at levels significantly higher than you and your townsfolk can spawn unless you remember to set their levels before you generate a new town".

Isn't this done automatically when a new town is created? The level is always set automatically to match your level, allowing you to adjust it afterwards.

What version are these reviewers playing!? It's like the other reviewer who mentioned invisible barriers, which I have yet to encounter after 60+ hours of gameplay.

/boggle

Michael Smith
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
It's a decent review but very lean, no mention of the many aspects and innovations that make Din's Curse stand out. Lately, I get the feeling that all these reviews are based on very little game play or effort.

You can't review Din's Curse and not mention the hybrid class system. You just can't.

Also, there are a few complains that I don't understand, namely this one, "And monsters at levels significantly higher than you and your townsfolk can spawn unless you remember to set their levels before you generate a new town".

Isn't this done automatically when a new town is created? The level is always set automatically to match your level, allowing you to adjust it afterwards.

What version are these reviewers playing!? It's like the other reviewer who mentioned invisible barriers, which I have yet to encounter after 60+ hours of gameplay.

/boggle

You're right; I should've mentioned the hybrid class, but my review was already a bit too long for our guidelines and I had to make some cuts.

As for the comment about the high-level enemies in the town, I had an incident in which my town was under attack by a giant turtle-shaped creature and its minions. I was playing at normal difficulty with a Level 5 or 6 character (don't remember which), and nothing I could do would even make a dent on this monster. It got frustrating enough that I had to create a new world and start over; here's where being able to retain your attributes really is a blessing. :cool:

Jorlen
05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
You're right; I should've mentioned the hybrid class, but my review was already a bit too long for our guidelines and I had to make some cuts.

As for the comment about the high-level enemies in the town, I had an incident in which my town was under attack by a giant turtle-shaped creature and its minions. I was playing at normal difficulty with a Level 5 or 6 character (don't remember which), and nothing I could do would even make a dent on this monster. It got frustrating enough that I had to create a new world and start over; here's where being able to retain your attributes really is a blessing. :cool:

Don't mind me, Michael. I guess I'm quite defensive when it comes to Din's Curse, for some reason I have a huge soft spot for this game. I did not mean to insult you or your work. Just out of curiosity, how long did you spend playing Din's Curse prior to reviewing it?

It's just that I dislike how AAA titles get multi-page reviews and indie games get recycled screenshots from beta, and half a page with reviewers who either a) don't care for the genre or b) don't spend enough time with the game to review it properly. Like the guy from ausgamer or whatever who claimed to be running into invisible barriers.

It's unfortunate that your review guidelines interfere with your creativity and capacity to write what you want to write. Who decided this? Tell me so I can give them "constructive criticism" ;)

As for the crazy ass turtle, there are some enemies, specially super bosses, that are insanely tough. Specially early on when you don't have many skills. You got unlucky. Recently, so did I, when I tried to compete in the new tournament and created a hardcore character. I played him for an hour or so, met up with a boss too early and died instantly. No more character :)

I've met some bosses that I actually had to respec in order to fight; I had to completely change my strategy and step outside my comfort zone or else I'd just keep getting killed. This may sound bad, but it's in fact good. Well, depends on who you're asking I suppose :)

Michael Smith
05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Don't mind me, Michael. I guess I'm quite defensive when it comes to Din's Curse, for some reason I have a huge soft spot for this game. I did not mean to insult you or your work. Just out of curiosity, how long did you spend playing Din's Curse prior to reviewing it?

It's just that I dislike how AAA titles get multi-page reviews and indie games get recycled screenshots from beta, and half a page with reviewers who either a) don't care for the genre or b) don't spend enough time with the game to review it properly. Like the guy from ausgamer or whatever who claimed to be running into invisible barriers.

It's unfortunate that your review guidelines interfere with your creativity and capacity to write what you want to write. Who decided this? Tell me so I can give them "constructive criticism" ;)

As for the crazy ass turtle, there are some enemies, specially super bosses, that are insanely tough. Specially early on when you don't have many skills. You got unlucky. Recently, so did I, when I tried to compete in the new tournament and created a hardcore character. I played him for an hour or so, met up with a boss too early and died instantly. No more character :)

I've met some bosses that I actually had to respec in order to fight; I had to completely change my strategy and step outside my comfort zone or else I'd just keep getting killed. This may sound bad, but it's in fact good. Well, depends on who you're asking I suppose :)

No worries; you're certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am of mine. It's a pleasure to trade ideas with fans who are rational and passionate. It's the mindless raging jerks that need to be ignored. :)

I played Din's for between 8 and 10 hours before I started writing. During that time I created several new worlds because I was getting my ass kicked by the aforementioned turtle, or I was too far away from a dungeon gate to get back to town in time to save it, or a bunch of other unfortunate circumstances. I ended up with a Level 11 Priest who finally managed to save his first town. There was much rejoicing.

Jorlen
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
No worries; you're certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am of mine. It's a pleasure to trade ideas with fans who are rational and passionate. It's the mindless raging jerks that need to be ignored. :)

I played Din's for between 8 and 10 hours before I started writing. During that time I created several new worlds because I was getting my ass kicked by the aforementioned turtle, or I was too far away from a dungeon gate to get back to town in time to save it, or a bunch of other unfortunate circumstances. I ended up with a Level 11 Priest who finally managed to save his first town. There was much rejoicing.

What version of the game are you playing? I know the beta versions were apparently much more difficult.

PixelLord
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM

I was glad to hear you liked it overall. Getting back to town can almost be an art in itself. I was wondering if you knew that there was a teleport ball on the left end of your skills hot key slots (some folks never knew it was there). It can get you back to town instantly, but only once per town.

As for the "turtle", the random nature of the game sometimes generates scenarios that may seem (or be) totally unfair; but, for me, that's what keeps it so interesting to play. i.e. Life isn't always fair. :)

Thank you for your review!

udm
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, Michael, but I think one glaring spot the review misses out on is discussing the dynamic quest system. Personally, I think this elevates Din's to a level that's far above the likes of Torchlight, but that's just me.

Of course, I'm not expecting you to do anything about the review, but you should know that if you haven't had a bunch of crazy monsters warring on one another and entering a dungeon full of crossfires, you've only skimmed the surface of Din's. Some of the quest-links are just whacked. Annoying superbosses are always packed full of fun ;)

In any case, if you do plan on just clocking in a few more hours on Din's Curse, try out the "random hybrid class" tournament. Ice Mage + Trickster combo is really something different, I can assure you that :)

Michael Smith
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
What version of the game are you playing? I know the beta versions were apparently much more difficult.

I was playing Version 1.0, which I assume is the retail release version. There is the 1.01 beta patch, but I didn't apply it because it is a beta patch, and we only review final code.

Michael Smith
05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I was glad to hear you liked it overall. Getting back to town can almost be an art in itself. I was wondering if you knew that there was a teleport ball on the left end of your skills hot key slots (some folks never knew it was there). It can get you back to town instantly, but only once per town.

As for the "turtle", the random nature of the game sometimes generates scenarios that may seem (or be) totally unfair; but, for me, that's what keeps it so interesting to play. i.e. Life isn't always fair. :)

Thank you for your review!

I did know about the teleport ball, but I had already used it before I got caught in the dungeon. I learned really quickly to use the map button to check the locations of all of the gates and entrances.

I agree about the value of randomly generating enemies that are challenging to your character, but if you come up against a monster that you obviously can't defeat, it's only a matter of time before it devours your townsfolk and ends your game. This is just like falling into a hole with no way out. The game needs to give you at least one way to succeed or you're gonna get frustrated and move on to something else.

Michael Smith
05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, Michael, but I think one glaring spot the review misses out on is discussing the dynamic quest system. Personally, I think this elevates Din's to a level that's far above the likes of Torchlight, but that's just me.

Of course, I'm not expecting you to do anything about the review, but you should know that if you haven't had a bunch of crazy monsters warring on one another and entering a dungeon full of crossfires, you've only skimmed the surface of Din's. Some of the quest-links are just whacked. Annoying superbosses are always packed full of fun ;)

In any case, if you do plan on just clocking in a few more hours on Din's Curse, try out the "random hybrid class" tournament. Ice Mage + Trickster combo is really something different, I can assure you that :)

I did briefly mention the random generation of content; it's the source of the game's infinite replayability, something that does set Din's apart from other games in the genre. I do plan to spend some more time with the game; I'm hoping to find out how many towns I have to save to be released from the curse. And I will check out the hybrid class; it's a great feature.

Jorlen
05-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I was playing Version 1.0, which I assume is the retail release version. There is the 1.01 beta patch, but I didn't apply it because it is a beta patch, and we only review final code.

Yes, you're correct. Version 1.0 is retail and there isn't much difference between 1.0 and 1.001b, specifically NOT difficulty level.

The game does have a learning curve. I'd say it took me 10 hours just to grasp the very basics, but that may have been because I was too busy creating hybrid after hyrid :)

The biggest mistake anyone can make, is to walk into this game thinking it's just another diablo clone. No, in actuality, this is like, Diablo meets Rogue meets mad scientist's mind (Peeler). You're not going to trip over town portal spells. You have ONE teleport per town, you'd better make it worthwhile. Enemies will kill each other, level themselves up, and raid your town. They will kill your precious vendors and quest givers if you allow them. If you get assigned a boss to kill, and you let him do his thing, he'll get together 4 of his buddies and you now have 5 bosses to kill. Traps will transport you 3 levels below in a pile of tough monsters causing you to instantly die, having you frantically race for your soulstone before it fades away. The occasional super-boss will have 400% movement speed and one-shot you and your group. Cave-ins will often kill you with little moment's notice. The usually safe and rewarding treasure chest will explode in your face, poison you, or surround you with enemies.

I love it.

Michael Smith
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes, you're correct. Version 1.0 is retail and there isn't much difference between 1.0 and 1.001b, specifically NOT difficulty level.

The game does have a learning curve. I'd say it took me 10 hours just to grasp the very basics, but that may have been because I was too busy creating hybrid after hyrid :)

The biggest mistake anyone can make, is to walk into this game thinking it's just another diablo clone. No, in actuality, this is like, Diablo meets Rogue meets mad scientist's mind (Peeler). You're not going to trip over town portal spells. You have ONE teleport per town, you'd better make it worthwhile. Enemies will kill each other, level themselves up, and raid your town. They will kill your precious vendors and quest givers if you allow them. If you get assigned a boss to kill, and you let him do his thing, he'll get together 4 of his buddies and you now have 5 bosses to kill. Traps will transport you 3 levels below in a pile of tough monsters causing you to instantly die, having you frantically race for your soulstone before it fades away. The occasional super-boss will have 400% movement speed and one-shot you and your group. Cave-ins will often kill you with little moment's notice. The usually safe and rewarding treasure chest will explode in your face, poison you, or surround you with enemies.

I love it.

I was tempted to stand around in the dungeons and let the monsters kill each other, then go in and clean up the strays. I did have one thing happen that I figured was a glitch. I triggered a cave-in that filled the entire dungeon with rocks, not just a corner of it. This of course made it somewhat difficult to reach the gate, and I had already used my one teleport spell.

udm
05-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Cave-ins are one of the biggest player killers in the game. I've died from more cave-ins than I did with monsters lol. I once had a very epic cave-in that trailed me for several metres while I desperately ran for dear life. Moments like these really make you think "Why the heck didn't Titan Quest/Torchlight/<insert generic Diablo clone here> do something like that?" :)

Don't mind me, I'm just a very avid supporter of Soldak because of its excellent dev support too. But if I have to be brutally honest, I didn't like Kivi as I thought it was far too underwhelming after having played Depths of Peril. Din's, however, I was sold after clocking 4 hours into the demo.