PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Solf
05-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I've just purchased Din's Curse and started trying out my first character (archer/healer hybrid). However I am a bit lost in regards to skills / stats, hence these questions:

- What stat (if any) affects ranged damage with bows?
- Comparing skill description for Multi Shot and Exploding Arrow it seems that Multi Shot depends on weapon damage, while Exploding Arrow -- doesn't. Is that so? If that is so, doesn't it result in large damage discrepancy as player acquires bigger and better weapons?
- Do passive bow skills (attack/crit/damage) affect damage of Exploding Arrow? What about Multi Shot?
- And, finally, out of the left field a completely unrelated question :) Is there a convenient way to heal others? Clicking their avatars seems to send me running after them -- am I stuck using 'party frame' on the right? And also I like to have heal on right click, but right-clicking 'party frame' results in 'inspect' command... Any suggestions? How do you people heal others?

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone can answer at least some of these questions :)

Jorlen
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi,

I've just purchased Din's Curse and started trying out my first character (archer/healer hybrid). However I am a bit lost in regards to skills / stats, hence these questions:

- What stat (if any) affects ranged damage with bows?
- Comparing skill description for Multi Shot and Exploding Arrow it seems that Multi Shot depends on weapon damage, while Exploding Arrow -- doesn't. Is that so? If that is so, doesn't it result in large damage discrepancy as player acquires bigger and better weapons?
- Do passive bow skills (attack/crit/damage) affect damage of Exploding Arrow? What about Multi Shot?
- And, finally, out of the left field a completely unrelated question :) Is there a convenient way to heal others? Clicking their avatars seems to send me running after them -- am I stuck using 'party frame' on the right? And also I like to have heal on right click, but right-clicking 'party frame' results in 'inspect' command... Any suggestions? How do you people heal others?

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone can answer at least some of these questions :)

- Strength will affect melee damage on any weapon, ranged included. Dex will make sure your weapons connect (range or otherwise) and also raise your defense stat.

- You're right about exploding arrow, it does not factor in bow damage. The flipside is that it's an AoE attack. Personally I find it great at first but not so good later on.

- No to exploding arrow and yes to multi-shot.

- I like playing a healer online too, best way I do it I click on their character name where it's listed, not on the actual player model. You can also bind your keys to target the next ally or the previous ally, etc. That might work better for you if you can get the hang of it.

Solf
05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the reply and clarification Jorlen, much appreciated :)

Oh, btw, speaking about multi-shot -- does it get more arrows if you raise the skill, or just damage increase?

ecliptic
05-19-2010, 11:38 PM
1) When a piece of armor says for example, "+35% armor" what does this mean? These percentages don't seem to affect any stats on the character screen.

2) And do they stack with other pieces?

3) How about "+25% damage" on ego weapons? How does that work?

DeathKnight1728
05-20-2010, 12:11 AM
-1) 35% more armor means that the armor is 35% higher than the normal number.

-2) They dont stack. At least not that im sure.

-3) Ego weapons work the same with the percentages. They are good when they come with the stunning blow and armor piercing percentages. Although the haste chance that comes sometimes is the best.

ecliptic
05-20-2010, 01:33 AM
-1) 35% more armor means that the armor is 35% higher than the normal number.

That's what I figured, but if I equip something with armor 8, and something with armor 8 and "+35% armor", my armor value on my character screen only goes up by 8 in both instances. Does this happen behind the scenes during combat or what?

TheRani
05-20-2010, 01:55 AM
That's what I figured, but if I equip something with armor 8, and something with armor 8 and "+35% armor", my armor value on my character screen only goes up by 8 in both instances. Does this happen behind the scenes during combat or what?

First of all, the +35% Armor thing doesn't affect anything you're wearing besides that particular item. If you see that on your boots, it's not going to affect your hat, vest, shoulder guards, belt, gloves, etc.

Secondly, the number you see as the item's armor rating has already been increased by it. It's the adjusted number. If it hadn't had the +35% armor thing, that piece of equipment would only have had like 5 armor or something.

Typically the advantage of wearing something with 8 armor that had a +35% bonus on it, over an item that has 8 armor and no other bonus, would be that the one with the bonus will generally have lower stat or level requirements than the unmodified one.

PixelLord
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know if similar things happen with Ego items? Ego items have a 25% bonus to damage, armor, or defense for weapons, armor, or shields respectively.

Has this 25% bonus already been calculated into, for example, the total (first listed) armor value?

Jorlen
05-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know if similar things happen with Ego items? Ego items have a 25% bonus to damage, armor, or defense for weapons, armor, or shields respectively.

Has this 25% bonus already been calculated into, for example, the total (first listed) armor value?

AFAIK yes, any percentage-based bonus will be refected in the final AC (or weapon damage) of the item.

ecliptic
05-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Secondly, the number you see as the item's armor rating has already been increased by it. It's the adjusted number. If it hadn't had the +35% armor thing, that piece of equipment would only have had like 5 armor or something.

Typically the advantage of wearing something with 8 armor that had a +35% bonus on it, over an item that has 8 armor and no other bonus, would be that the one with the bonus will generally have lower stat or level requirements than the unmodified one.

-That- was the missing mental link. Now everything makes sense. Thank you very much.

PixelLord
05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
-That- was the missing mental link. Now everything makes sense. Thank you very much.

heh .... kick a$$! :)