PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption

Kruztee
05-24-2010, 07:40 PM
While not strictly an RPG, I have been playing Red Dead Redemption for a few days now.

Now, normally I don't buy that many console games, but since Rockstar have been eschewing the PC as a launch platform and this game got so much hype, I thought that I'd better play it and find out what all the fuss was about.

It's a pretty good game. I think that if you like sandbox style RPG games then it'd be worth picking up, but certainly for me the game didn't really live up to the hype. I mean, I read a review that said something like "take all of the games you own and all that you ever will own in the future - put them all in a pile and burn the lot of them. RDR is the only game you'll ever need".

The wild west setting doesn't really appeal to me as much as it obviously does to others, but I will say that the game looks gorgeous, even at a crappy XBOX default 720p I think mine's scaled to 1080i (actually not 100% sure), I've heard that especially on PS3 it's best to run in 720p. On a decent PC widescreen resolution of 1920x1080 or better it would be breathtaking.

There's a lot to do outside of the story missions and there's 30 odd hours of gameplay in those alone. Lots of minigames and challenges just like all the GTA titles that have come before. There are lots of different gambling games (Texas Hold 'em, Liar's Dice, Blackjack, Horseshoe Toss, and a few others), and you can hunt over 30 species of animals that all seem to have their own habitats and exibit reasonably realistic behaviour. There are treasure hunting challenges, although these are only a challenge the first time around, and a few other collection mini games as well. I honestly can't see anything revolutionary in the gameplay, it's stuff that's all been done before one way or the other but possibly not all together in one game like this.

Weird. I'm not enjoying it as much as Fallout 3 for example, but I did play FO3 on PC. The so called "random events" in RDR are fairly predictable and happen far too often. For me the control system is a mess, once a PC port is released to provide mouse/keyboard support it will improve gameplay 100 fold. If you're comfortable with a game controller and/or play a lot of console games, then the setup might not feel too bad to you. I really hate the analogue stick aiming control (or lack of it). It's just too touchy and although you can dog out and play in an easier mode where an auto-aim bot locks onto targets for you, this makes the game far too easy. There's no happy medium. In situations like duels it's almost game breakingly bad.

Still to find a reviewer that is willing to give the game less that 90 out of 100 is rare. The game has a great immersive feel and a perfect spaghetti western flavour to it. The characters are well written and there's a rollicking storyline to keep you coming back for more. Sound and graphics are almost perfect.

All this opinion comes from the single player game. I'm totally uninterested in online multiplayer.

Score 7.5/10

dnuggs40
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I think it's one of the best open world games ever made to be honest.

Jorlen
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm about 15 hours in RDR single player (I don't often play multiplayer on consoles due to the general audience beign 38974897 years younger than me).

It's a great open world game from an experienced developer. I also played GTAIV and I think there is much more to do in this game, more activities, more random stuff happening, more incentive to explore / hunt etc. The gunplay is great and cover system improved from GTA IV, but if you don't disable auto-aim (I think it's called aim mode: expert in this game) the game is mind-numbingly easy. I agree that with a controller it's challenging to free-aim sometimes as well. Even after years of console gaming, I never got the hang of it, or maybe I'm just too used to mouse/keyboard precision.

It's not an RPG per se but it does have a lot of similarities (exploration, collecting stuff, outfits are almost like armor, etc). I like to call it an RPG-lite in disguise :) I'm enjoying it, but I seem to be hitting a lot of bugs lately which is souring the experience a bit. Still a great game though, console owners should definitely give it some consideration.

Although Rockstar has officially said there are no plans to port the game to PC, we all know it will happen, much like GTA IV (6 months later I believe).

DeathKnight1728
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
The only close to 1st person view games that i liked, was the 3rd person games: KOTOR 1 and Jade Empire. But when i got done with them, i was kind of a little sick of them. Much easier Imho, to have the camera head view like arcanum and diablo 2, Din's, BG.

I did play Revolver the 1st one, It was good. Though it wasnt my style.

wooaa
06-21-2010, 12:11 AM
i know this is a little off topic but will RDR come out for the PC?

DeathKnight1728
06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Just reading something on RDR and unfortunately it will not come out for the pc. If it did i would play that game on my pc even though i dislike shooters. It probably wouldnt work on my pc though.

Inspired
12-17-2010, 08:10 AM
The only problem I had with this game was it was to simple. There was no missions that gave me a challenge. Even getting my bounty in the high thousands and having the army come after me was a breeze. The first one was a lot harder.