PDA

View Full Version : Unending town attack

Roswitha
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
I've heard of/seen this bug before, but I may have identified what makes it happen.

The town gets attacked, I come upstairs and kill the critter, but the alarm keeps ringing. I look high and low, but never find another monster to kill, so the alarm never stops.

Here's the sequence of posts.

Due to our war with the Tiny Mud Amorph, they are attacking the town!
Tiny Mud Amorph that killed Quine (Weaponsmith) is now a Champion Tiny Mud Amorph.
Quine (Weaponsmith) was killed by a Tiny Mud Amorph!

Then I kill the Champion Tiny Mud Amorph, but the game is waiting for the death of a Tiny Mud Amorph, so it doesn't register my kill as anything of interest. So the attack never ends.

Kruztee
05-26-2010, 08:34 PM
I've heard of/seen this bug before, but I may have identified what makes it happen.

The town gets attacked, I come upstairs and kill the critter, but the alarm keeps ringing. I look high and low, but never find another monster to kill, so the alarm never stops.

Here's the sequence of posts.

Due to our war with the Tiny Mud Amorph, they are attacking the town!
Tiny Mud Amorph that killed Quine (Weaponsmith) is now a Champion Tiny Mud Amorph.
Quine (Weaponsmith) was killed by a Tiny Mud Amorph!

Then I kill the Champion Tiny Mud Amorph, but the game is waiting for the death of a Tiny Mud Amorph, so it doesn't register my kill as anything of interest. So the attack never ends.

Brilliant! I bet that's it!

This is a really annoying bug to have in your game too. I normally just abandon the town when it happens.

Roswitha
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Brilliant! I bet that's it!

This is a really annoying bug to have in your game too. I normally just abandon the town when it happens.

You don't even need to abandon the town. Save and exit, then come back in. Or at least, that works for me.

Desticato
05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I had this same bug (or an incredibly similar one) occur last night, though mine was purple scree. I ended up abandoning the town since I was forced to mute the sound to remain sane. Playing Din's Curse without sound is akin to tying your shoes with no hands.

This has prompted me to 1) hope that this bug (and others like it that might create a never-ending town attack are quashed and 2) request, in the meantime, a slider in the options for Town Attack Volume (or, at a minimum, the option to mute town attacks entirely).

I'm hoping one or both of these makes into into a future patch. That town abandonment pained me.

Aet
05-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Ditto, just happened here as well with a Skulking Clan Leprechaun.

Odd thing is two of them were present in town (along with a Dimensional Gate). One became a Champion after killing off my remaining weaponsmith. Killed off all three things, but the alarms didn't cease.

A Save & Exit then reloading the game did make the dreaded alarm go away.

Valgor
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
This usually happens when the town attackers poison someone, curse the town or do some other nasty thing that persists even after the attack has been repelled...
The alarm will stop once that problem is solved - most of the time.

Shadow
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I did solve the problem that Roswitha mentioned for the 1.002 patch.