PDA

View Full Version : Cannot even get game to start...

Kema Choinach
05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I can't even get the game to start. I fire up the program, I get a black screen, and the application hangs. I've looked over some of the other forum posts which have recommended modifying a file in the /users directory - the software hasn't even gotten as far as setting this file up, so I have nothing to modify. It occupies about 74 meg of RAM, the task manager claims that its got a CPU of 13, but nothing happens, and it tends to become unresponsive. I've applied both patches, neither fixes the problem.

I'm running Windows 7 on an i7 with 6 gig of RAM, running a GeForce GTX 295. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Shadow
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
First thing I would try is to update your graphics card drivers.

Kema Choinach
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I've already got the latest and greatest.

Shadow
05-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Even though there isn't a user.cfg file yet, you can change the same data inside the main cfg file. In the User directory where you actually installed the game, you want to open the file default.cfg.

You could try to change r_fullscreen to 0 which gets around some weird driver issues sometimes. You could also change s_initSound to 0 to see if it is a sound issue.

Bugbear
05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
I actually ran into this exact same problem when I updated to the newest drivers yesterday.

On my system it was caused by turning on Triple Buffering in the 3D settings tab of the Nvidia control panel.

My video card is a GTX 260 and I'm running on an Intel Q6600 / 4GB RAM with Windows 7 64-bit, Nvidia driver version 257.15.

Kema Choinach
06-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the continued help. Its turned out that its an audio issue - the game doesn't get along with the integrated audio on my machine. Disabling the sound in the default .cfg file did the trick.

Thanks very much!

Shadow
06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Since it's an audio problem, if you haven't already, I would update your sound drivers and see if you can turn sound back on.

Kema Choinach
06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I started having the same problem with an EA game (Mass Effect.) Here's the skinny so you guys can add it to your list of issues.

My machine has integrated audio - I don't know the manufacturer, but the drivers are from SoundMAX. It turns out that one of the more recent updates to these drivers, from Microsoft, causes a whole host of problems, among them games somehow getting hung up because of some issue between them and the driver. I wound up having to uninstall the driver, disconnect the machine from the internet, reboot in safe mode, and reinstall the earlier sound drivers from the emergency disk supplied with my computer. Once this was doine, both Mass Effect and Din's Curse started without an issue.

Just wanted to pass this along so you guys can add it to your library of known issues, in case someone else has the same problem I did. Thanks very much for the support.

Shadow
06-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for letting us know what the problem ultimately was!