PDA

View Full Version : Game pitch rejections

Shadow
11-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I thought I would post something that corresponds with Delilah's post about how many writers fail. Many parts of the process that trip up book writers also trip up game developers. I'm not really going to talk about the process of making a game today, but I wanted to talk about a few interesting things about pitching games. As with writers many developers are frightened of this part and for good reason. Most pitches are ignored and most of those that aren't are rejected. This is pretty much just something that you have to get used to. Assuming you have a good product their are many valid reasons why you might get rejected for a book or a game pitch: they have no place in their schedule, they have no budget left/their slots are full, they already are publishing a competitor, they don't publisher your genre, etc.

So to amuse everyone, here's some of the reject reasons I've heard over the years. Some of these are for Depths of Peril and some are for previous games/companies.

Only publish casual games (nothing wrong with this)
Wanted a simplified Diablo game whereas we went the other direction and added some actual depth and new gameplay
Only take games for hardcore gamers (hardcore gamers don't like fun games with depth and new gameplay?)
Too many RPGs coming out (I forget off hand when this was, but I know as a gamer I had no RPGs to play at the time and only a couple that I was looking forward to)
RPGs don't sell well (I believe this was before Baldur's Gate and Diablo 2)
The PC market is dying (I have heard this many times over the last decade)

For those that have had their ideas or projects rejected, just remember the first Harry Potter book was rejected many times.

If you have heard any pitch rejections that are amusing, feel free to add a comment.