PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know what the 'missile hacker' is supposed to do?

nox
01-25-2013, 08:15 AM
The listed stats are

"Missile Hacker X"
range 0 to 31 units
+200% damage
x% chance to work on level x object
reuse time 10 seconds

requires x tactical

i can seem to 'fire' it anywhere targeted, but see no debuff. using it on a missile in flight is almost impossible without pausing the game and I see no effect on the missile.

Shadow
01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
It should take over an incoming missile and send it back towards the attacker. I don't think you really have to target with it.

nox
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
does it autotarget hostile missiles that have targeted only the player? it did bring up a target icon on the cursor is why I ask.

I tried it and could not get it to hack any missiles.

Shadow
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure it auto targets.

nox
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
ok while you're answering questions -

There's nothing on the offensive dampening field tooltip that says what the debuff actually is. Is there a way to change that?

Shadow
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
There's nothing on the offensive dampening field tooltip that says what the debuff actually is. Is there a way to change that?

I'll need to go into the code to make it more specific than the general description.

nox
01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
ok. the reason I ask is because there's no way to compare it to other things that give a debuff or know how it scales.

also, while you're reading this - what is the deal with the drive dissipator? i see that it does a speed reduction, and a trivial amount of thermal (I think it's thermal) damage. I don't really understand the value of a small snare effect. I guess for a kiting build? anyhow, since it's competing for mid slots I wonder if anyone would ever use it.

Shadow
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
There are some enemy ships that move really quick.

nox
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
I've seen them - the reduction doesn't seem to be big enough to make a difference in those cases really. even 25% reduction in speed you can't hit them with missiles or railguns unless they are coming right at you which is why I asked.

since there is also a tractor beam which seems to serve the purpose better, that's why I asked - if I was maybe missing something.

i find the best cure for those ships is mines.

Also - the bomber bay only summoning one bomber makes it seem redundant? Seems like the player is probably better off using a missile? That way you can handle your own targeting and the DPS is undoubtedly better. The bombers die really fast if there's any opposition, so it's not like you can stealth and have them take out a planet. Also with more missiles available, you can find one with better stats more readily.

Shadow
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Also - the bomber bay only summoning one bomber makes it seem redundant? Seems like the player is probably better off using a missile? That way you can handle your own targeting and the DPS is undoubtedly better. The bombers die really fast if there's any opposition, so it's not like you can stealth and have them take out a planet. Also with more missiles available, you can find one with better stats more readily.

You don't have to pay energy for every missile launch though.

nox
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
I did consider that. I guess I dismissed them without really giving it a fair shake. I should try them out and see how I think it stacks up against other fighters.

I wish the 'stealth fighters' would really attempt to remain stealthed if I put them on passive.

It would also be really nice if I could 'dock' the fighters so they could repair or something. (or in one case when I was trying to get a legend win the fighters kept killing the stupid overlord's crappy ships)

deogo
03-23-2014, 12:43 PM
looks like after the year 'missile hacker' still does not work at all
nor it have normal description
alas

Yindo
03-23-2014, 01:10 PM
alas

Not sure ever seen that, or well seen it work.

Cryosis
03-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I've seen them - the reduction doesn't seem to be big enough to make a difference in those cases really. even 25% reduction in speed you can't hit them with missiles or railguns unless they are coming right at you which is why I asked.

Drive dissipater stacks 3 times. 75% total speed reduction is fairly significant, and as long as you keep hitting with it, you can continually refresh the stacks.

Shadow
03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
alas

I could have sworn I checked it out and it was working fine. I put it back on the list to look at.