PDA

View Full Version : Is more "front loading" of content needed?

Professor Paul1290
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I noticed starting over and creating a new ship that the combat in the game is very slow and uninteresting starting out due to the narrow selection of gear and relatively low ship speed.

I can understand the need to save some stuff for later to keep things interesting, but I feel like the game does that a bit too aggressively right now.

Do you think some of the content should be moved up front a bit more?

Sedlex
01-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I think it would be nice to allow players to create a ship at an increasing level depending on the level reached in previous plays. This could be race dependent to keep it interesting.

Something like allowing a player to create a ship at level 10 in a race once the player has reached level 25 with another ship of that race, 20 for reaching 50, and 30 for reaching 75.

I think this would also actually increase replay value by removing some unnecessary grind. Players might feel better about replaying a race they've picked again.

nox
01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
The prior build I was able to start a game at a higher level than my own ship to widen the equipment selection, but that isn't possible anymore.

I think the current system breaks more things than it solves, and am hoping that the design is changed so that vendors have items of the same level as the game that is created rather than the level of the creating ship.

Professor Paul1290
01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I almost think the player should be bumped up to starting at what is now level 10, or some of the content from around that level be pulled down to level 1.

It's not so much starting over that goes a bit slow as it is starting out in general.
Right now it feels like starting out it takes a bit too long before the player gets to try out a bunch of the stuff in the game because you start so low and a lot of the content doesn't kick in yet.
I think that has a negative effect on a new player's first impressions of the game.