PDA

View Full Version : Some Issues I have with Drox and possible solutions.

Siveria
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi all, I rather like this game but there are a few glaring design/quality of life issues I notice with the game. I'll list them and some possible solutions in hopes that the devs consider them.

1) Shields: Shield regen needs to be made to be much higher than it currently is. In most space games shields regen fairly quickly and constantly, not enough to make you invincible but enough that you can run in and out of combat. I propose a increase to shield regen so they regen about 2.5-5% per second, it *sounds* high, but its really not when 2-4 hits usually drops your shield, Also have diminsing returns for having more than one shield equipped so that the regen cannot get out of hand.

2) Projectile weapons: Missles are fine, but the cannons like the railgun, and ram guns etc are far far to slow moving, they can rarely if ever hit a moving target. Possible solutions: Make the bullets travel maybe 50-100% faster than they currently do, because vs alot of enemies if your not right on top of them they rarely hit.

3) Loot: I love the diablo-like loot aspect to the game but, I would like one change to be done, its more of a quality of life thing, but it would be nice if the item says what tier it is like Ram Cannon II, insted of just saying Ram Cannon when you hit alt, so that the player can more easly decide if its worth picking it up, I spend more time going thru my inventory than I should have to clearing junk.

4) Why not add a crafting system to the game, you can dismantle junk you find for parts and then attempt to craft an item (with random results) and have you get better at it as it levels, the crafted item will be of the same tier as the majority of the parts used in its construction.

lammaer
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
On shields I tend to agree with you, but I don't think it is THAT serious issue as it looks like: the ancient rechargers are pretty frequent items, so if you find one in a system and mark it for yourself, you can easily run there when your shields are down. Plus you have the shield recharger consumables at your disposal, and also friendly planets acts as rechargers. Oh, and there is a shield recharger equipment (not too frequent tough) - it immediately converts energy to shields.

Projectile weapons: for me they are OK. Maybe your attack stat is not high enough, I have no problem to hit most of the regular enemies with them. Nevertheless, for best results I used to fire when the enemy closing on me or just on me in very close range. But even if they are far away, I have no problem with it. Honestly, I prefer rails over lasers, IMHO lasers are too heavily penalized on range.

I agree with you regarding the loot names, that should be improved. Frequency often misleading, in too many cases a rare item is just worse than a regular (in terms of usefullness)

Crafting - definitely would add depth to this game, maybe the devs will take into account for expansion. Eg, I could imagine customized crafting, eg similar to the spellcrafting system of oblivion, where you can specify the spell parameters, and the system calculates the price. THis would be great, and would make technology looting useful.

Siveria
02-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I got some other suggestions.

Make lasers better, because as it is they are by far the worse weapon in the game, energy use is too high, damage is to low, useless at range, even with same dps as a ballistic weapon I find the ballistic weapon still kills noticably faster even at point blank range.
Possible Solutions: Lower energy cost per shot, remove range penealty, maybe up min damage a tad (max damage is fine)

Again projectile speed I been messing around with modding and I find a speed of 350 for missles and 450-500 for ballistics to be alot better than the current speeds. This also effects enemies too so it can make the game a tad more diffcult as well. As it is ballistics can rarely if ever hit anything thats moving at far ranges.

Quests.. The credits quests give is fine, but I feel the exp is way to high considering the npc races can pretty much make a never ending stream of them, if you wanna lv fast easiest way is to just keep abandoning sectors after you do all the quests in the first starsystem. There currently is no penealty for abandoning one at all even though the game says there is.

Componnent slots on ships.. I think diffrent races should have diffrent amount of each type of slot. Or should earn slots at diffrent rates, for example Brunt would get heavy slots faster than say humans, while cortex would get more light or med slots faster. my main ship is only 40 and its my highest so I dunno if the game does this already.

Also.. I'd like to see the reuse on the fighter bays reduced, since they do take a massive amount of energy. Mine takes about 80% of my energy bar to call 1 fighter. though I usually get that back before its ready to go again.

Tyrax Lightning
02-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I personally think we could use a larger amount of Crew Points per Level Up... we don't get enough Crew Points to fill out even 1/5th of our Ship's Potential at lvl 100... Feels a tad gimp... :(

Siveria
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I personally think we could use a larger amount of Crew Points per Level Up... we don't get enough Crew Points to fill out even 1/5th of our Ship's Potential at lvl 100... Feels a tad gimp... :(

You could maybe mod that unless its hardcoded. I'll root around in the files that control most of the stuff. Lets see if there is an option for that. Even upping it to maybe 8 points per level insted of 5 would help.

joku
02-23-2013, 04:14 PM
You could maybe mod that unless its hardcoded. I'll root around in the files that control most of the stuff. Lets see if there is an option for that. Even upping it to maybe 8 points per level insted of 5 would help.

You'll looking for "AttributePointsPerLevel" in systems.gdb.

Siveria
02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
You'll looking for "AttributePointsPerLevel" in systems.gdb.

Ahh, so its not the one in classes? i'll try that one.

Tyrax Lightning
02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
You could maybe mod that unless its hardcoded. I'll root around in the files that control most of the stuff. Lets see if there is an option for that. Even upping it to maybe 8 points per level instead of 5 would help.
Ahh, many thanks for this. :) Would this take effect only for Level Ups that happened after Mod Install, or would it retroactively add 3 more points to my prior level ups?

Edit: Oh, I tried calculating 8 Crew Points for 99 Level Ups... it came out to 792 Crew Points. This looks much more reasonable. :)