PDA

View Full Version : How can we imrpove beams so they are worth using?

Siveria
03-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Am I the only one who feels that beams are by and far the worse weapon in drox? The main reason for this is the beams low min and max damage, you may not notice it at low lv but once you get like +100% damage from tactical stats you start to see it. When your beams are lucky to hit for 100 on the high end tops, but your ballistic gun hits for like 350-400 on the high end, there is a pretty large diffrence there.

I think the problem is their low min damage, and their energy use, and also the range penalty, Maybe make beams have high min damage, Like insted of a beam being say 17-50 like they are now, make it 40-50, so that It has a higher constant hit, and also remove the range penalty, when you consider to hit another ship with a beam you are in range of its beams as well.

What do you think could be done to make them actually viable/worth using? Compared to the other weapons. As they currently are from my testing comparing kills with beams, ballistics and missles, beams are always last

darksilver
03-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Range penalty is ok, low min dmg isn't. Or vice versa. Two penalties for one weapon's class is too heavy IMHO ;)

lammaer
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
As darksilver says.... 2 disadvantages (range penality and smaller DPS) versus one advantage (always hits) = beams are weak.

In their current state I used them once or twice, when a boss was incredibly fast so I couldn't hit it with rails. Apart from this, in 99% of the gameplay, beams are weak and thus useless.

Siveria
03-01-2013, 03:20 PM
As darksilver says.... 2 disadvantages (range penality and smaller DPS) versus one advantage (always hits) = beams are weak.

In their current state I used them once or twice, when a boss was incredibly fast so I couldn't hit it with rails. Apart from this, in 99% of the gameplay, beams are weak and thus useless.

They always impact their target, but they can still miss based on attack vs their def. Range is not so much an issue because of how slow the projectiles travel you have to pretty much be in laser range to hit with ballistics, but when you do it does noticably more damage than a few shots with beams. My higher lv who is 54 crits for 1900 with a missle, compared to 200 crits with a beam. Missle is not really a dps weapon but when it hits that much harder its noticable.

Tyrax Lightning
03-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Has anyone ever noticed if the Beam Weapon Range Penalty applies to enemies using it on you or not? It can feel like it doesn't... (Damn Gleria Freeze Rays & Bounty Hunters...)

I too have observed that Beam Weapons are indeed Hit Roll Weapons.

It seems like Beam Weapons are designed to have extremely fast Attack Travel Speed (aka instant) & the lowest weapon cooldown time in the game in exchange for the damage penalty at range & low damage... but NPCs seem to get more use outta them then we do since they get to have infinite Energy for no reason at all, seemingly. I think eliminating the Range Penalty & lowering the Energy Cost per shot is worth a try, then we can see how they go from there. :)

Arcatus
03-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Modding is fun!

[Shameless plug]

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24991

[/Shameless plug]

Tyrax Lightning
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Has anyone tried testing Beam Weapons & Freezer Weapons side by side? There's a weapon in the game that classifies as a 'Freezer' type weapon, but i've tried screwing around with one last night, & it seems like it acts like a Beam Weapon + Debuff infliction. I also wonder if its Classification as a 'Freezer' Weapon makes them not benefit from the Components that add Weapon Damage only for 'Beam' Weapons...?

darksilver
03-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Tried 1.005b, playing with beams. Well, still, i'm definitely not a deathstar, more like a disco-ball :( Still keepin' one beam weapon (ion cannon) to kick some Speedy Gonzalez' butts, but just cuz other weapons 99% miss'em.
Btw did anyone tried virus class weapon? Is a range penalty applies to debuff too? Got -330 atk/def one, if it'd stack three times w/o penalty - looks terrifying :D

Tyrax Lightning
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Tried 1.005b, playing with beams. Well, still, i'm definitely not a deathstar, more like a disco-ball :( Still keepin' one beam weapon (ion cannon) to kick some Speedy Gonzalez' butts, but just cuz other weapons 99% miss'em.
Btw did anyone tried virus class weapon? Is a range penalty applies to debuff too? Got -330 atk/def one, if it'd stack three times w/o penalty - looks terrifying :D
I've tried out the new Beams on my new Utopian Alt... they STILL don't have enough kill power, & i've given up on them & switched to Missiles till his Tactical gets high enough to use a stored Lightning Cannon. Here's to hoping the Lightning Cannon will be Badass someday. :D

Note: This is with 0 Beam Boosting Components aiding the Beam Damage... My Alt hasn't gotten strong enough to put stored Beam Booster Components to use... & he's not really gonna bother. I'll screw around with Beams on my Shadow Alt... maybe Beams, Beam Boosters, & Cloaking all together will be able to do something useful...

Suggestion: Boost the Beam Booster Components so they boost Beams, Freezer Weapons, & Virus Weapons that fire in a 'Beam-like' way so they can synergize with each other & compliment each other.

pieciax
03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I have a felling that boost components boost virus weapons as well, i use them together with regular beams, and it looks like boost works well.

VortiK
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM

I was really having a hardtime hitting stuff at some point around level 20. Since I didn't have enought Computer point invested, I couldn't use the Attack boost modules (I'm focusing on Engineering, Helm and Attack).
Then I looted a Virus weapon and found that its debuff does really really help a lot. I have that and a normal beam atm and I almost never miss anymore.

Remember that Virus can stack its debuff up to 3 times on the same target (you can see the effect icons below the target lifebar and name) ! This is crippling the target' defense for a duration (I think about ~15s). Then you don't need much attack to hit properly !
The good thing is that anything shooting the target will hit it better aswell, your fighters and other races ships aswell as monsters.

I was hitting a wall of progression because of constantly missing targets until I found this module, it was really a savior.

Tyrax Lightning
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I was really having a hardtime hitting stuff at some point around level 20. Since I didn't have enought Computer point invested, I couldn't use the Attack boost modules (I'm focusing on Engineering, Helm and Attack).
Then I looted a Virus weapon and found that its debuff does really really help a lot. I have that and a normal beam atm and I almost never miss anymore.

Remember that Virus can stack its debuff up to 3 times on the same target (you can see the effect icons below the target lifebar and name) ! This is crippling the target' defense for a duration (I think about ~15s). Then you don't need much attack to hit properly !
The good thing is that anything shooting the target will hit it better aswell, your fighters and other races ships as well as monsters.

I was hitting a wall of progression because of constantly missing targets until I found this module, it was really a savior.
Have ya ever noticed your Virus miss...? I have yet to screw around with it & have wondered if it is a Hit Roll Weapon or not.

VortiK
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Have ya ever noticed your Virus miss...? I have yet to screw around with it & have wondered if it is a Hit Roll Weapon or not.

I just ran the game to check and couldn't get the virus to miss so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that even if it misses, the debuff effect is applied to the target as long as you're in range.

I noticied a huge difference when I got that anyway so it is very helpfull module.

Professor Paul1290
03-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I carry a virus/worm weapon along with a railgun and interceptor bay on my main ship.

The debuffs make it a good for use in combination with a stronger weapon against tougher targets. Also, while doesn't do as much damage as a straight up beam, but it acts like a beam so it's usable against a lot of the small and hard to hit targets that you would carry a beam for.
It also fits in a yellow slot, which is great because it frees up a red slot for something else.

Because of that I think that it makes a very good secondary weapon if your main weapon is something slower like a railgun or a missile, as it enhances the damage of your main weapon while at the same time also hitting most of what it can't hit.