PDA

View Full Version : Modding console / debugger

Arcatus
03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Short and simple (?) question

Is there any way a console (or similar) can be used to show typos or syntax errors in mods?

Just something as simple as "File: mod_test.gdb not loaded - syntax error" would be a step in the right direction.

The modding environment in this game is amongst the simplest I have encountered (so big kudos to the dev there!) but I am still doing silly mistakes.. so any clever tricks? (other than proofreading syntax :p)

Shadow
03-01-2013, 05:36 PM
If you look in the console (~ key), it will show you some errors, but most of the time you are going to need to be careful and not make mistakes.

Arcatus
03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
If you look in the console (~ key), it will show you some errors, but most of the time you are going to need to be careful and not make mistakes.

Aww. Well, atleast the game loads fast;)

Anyway, in a danger of turning this into a bit of "quiz the dev"

The file Hulls.gdb has entires like

Name $$HullName2$$

I want to edit the ship name - and I can't find any files that defines that attribute? Am I crossing into hard-coded territory?

Shadow
03-01-2013, 05:53 PM
The $$ stuff means it's going through the localization/translation stuff. In this case, HullName2 is an entry in Loc/English/items.trn

Mods don't need to go through the localization stuff though. Just Replace $$HullName2$$ with whatever your new name is. If it has a space in the name it will need "" around the name though.

Arcatus
03-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Great! Thanks :)