PDA

View Full Version : Mod: Stronger beam weapons

Arcatus
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Beam weapons needs a buff, so here is my take on it:

Please note that I only have had a limited range of ship levels to test this on, so if I have messed things up in a range of levels (or in any other way) let me know!

What it does:

Fast version significantly increases rate of fire, but lowers the damage.
Inconvenient in the higher levels when you use several weapons, but fun in the low levels when you just can press-and-hold.

High power version is more end-game friendly - only minimum damage is increased.

High power full damage does not have range penalties

How to install

Place one of the attached zip files in

...\Drox Operative\Assets

This mod should be safe to use on existing games.

Credits goes to

joku, FileNotFound and ScrObot for their contribution and examples of the syntax and file structure.
Siveria for the thread where I realized that other than me fund beams to weak

And, offcource; Shadow, for creating a game that is ridiculously easy to mod!

Tyrax Lightning
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
The 'Fast Version' seems kind of a odd thing to do... Beams already have the smallest Cooldown Time in the game (that I know of as of the time of this Post) at .75 seconds... Frankly, the Cooldown Timer is so short that it seems DESIGNED to not need more than one Laser Equipped at a time...

Oh, will this Mod affect Freezer Weapons, there seem to be 2 versions of them... one is like a Beam that also debuffs, so I wondered if they would share benefit along with Beam Weapons.

Siveria
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
The high damage one works nicely, it makes beams somewhat useable because their dps is more stable. Enemys don't seem to have the distance penalty on their weapons like we do, we should see about removing it, since the range on beams is already really small, penalizing their already small range is pretty harsh.

Excalibur Bane
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't mind having the range penalties removed. I hate the randomness about beam weapons. :(

Arcatus
03-04-2013, 04:08 PM
The 'Fast Version' seems kind of a odd thing to do... Beams already have the smallest Cooldown Time in the game (that I know of as of the time of this Post) at .75 seconds... Frankly, the Cooldown Timer is so short that it seems DESIGNED to not need more than one Laser Equipped at a time...

Oh, will this Mod affect Freezer Weapons, there seem to be 2 versions of them... one is like a Beam that also debuffs, so I wondered if they would share benefit along with Beam Weapons.

Both virus and freezer weapons are affected by the fast mod, as the same base controls them and the beams.
They are unaffected by both of the high damage versions.

And yes, the short cooldown is perhaps more fun than useful - hold the key down and Zap-zap-zappetyzap! :D

I wouldn't mind having the range penalties removed. I hate the randomness about beam weapons. :(

Done! Updated original post :)

Excalibur Bane
03-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Sweeet. Thanks! :D

Siveria
03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Hmm I find just using the range penalty remove part of your mod is all beams need really to be alright. But when you do this watch out for those Galeria type mobs, because their beams.. HURT lol. I just edited your mod for the high dmg+no range penalty, removed the damage part.

Tyrax Lightning
03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Hmm I find just using the range penalty remove part of your mod is all beams need really to be alright. But when you do this watch out for those Galeria type mobs, because their beams.. HURT lol. I just edited your mod for the high dmg+no range penalty, removed the damage part.
Hmm... I wonder if this means that NPC Beams don't answer to different rules from our Beams after all...?

Siveria
03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Hmm... I wonder if this means that NPC Beams don't answer to different rules from our Beams after all...?

I am sort of sure they do use the same rules players do, because even when I used the higher damage beam mod, i noticed the monster ships were hitting alot harder than they used to. Than and a Galeria expert crit me for about 700 at level 40 at max beam range. Before this at max beam range they used to do about.. 300 or less. Had 2 crit me at once after removing the range penalty and it almost 1 shotted me ripped thru 900 shields 400 armor and half of my 350 structure. Needless to say I ran like a dog with my tail between my legs till I healed up :P. In otherwords be careful what mods you use on weapons. I still wanna know why all the race ships (aka non-monster ships) seem to have like 50-60% damage resistance, no matter if its hitting their shield, armor or structure. I've checked some out before going to war with them (was allied) and they had no resistance componnents on, its like the game gives them a flat 50-60% dmg reduction.

The Shadow race also needs a nerf, Cloaking needs to be remvoed from the colony and diplomat ships, because shadow can take over planets so damned fast due to the cloaking. Any game they are in they usually have 2-3 times the ships and planets as any other race due to this, and tend to dominate the sector.

Tyrax Lightning
03-06-2013, 04:47 AM
I am sort of sure they do use the same rules players do, because even when I used the higher damage beam mod, i noticed the monster ships were hitting alot harder than they used to. Than and a Galeria expert crit me for about 700 at level 40 at max beam range. Before this at max beam range they used to do about.. 300 or less. Had 2 crit me at once after removing the range penalty and it almost 1 shotted me ripped thru 900 shields 400 armor and half of my 350 structure. Needless to say I ran like a dog with my tail between my legs till I healed up :P. In otherwords be careful what mods you use on weapons. I still wanna know why all the race ships (aka non-monster ships) seem to have like 50-60% damage resistance, no matter if its hitting their shield, armor or structure. I've checked some out before going to war with them (was allied) and they had no resistance componnents on, its like the game gives them a flat 50-60% dmg reduction.

The Shadow race also needs a nerf, Cloaking needs to be remvoed from the colony and diplomat ships, because shadow can take over planets so damned fast due to the cloaking. Any game they are in they usually have 2-3 times the ships and planets as any other race due to this, and tend to dominate the sector.
It seems like your Fighters get this benefit too... ;)

Shadow
03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Beams are getting better in the next patch and the Shadow are getting nerfed (the race, not anything on the player).

The race ships get a bunch of natural improvements like the normal monsters do.

Tyrax Lightning
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Beams are getting better in the next patch and the Shadow are getting nerfed (the race, not anything on the player).

Woot! :cool:

I think i'll wait for this next Patch before starting my future Beam using Utopian Alt. :D

Siveria
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Heehee I feel special, I got my name in the changes list XD. Though the second instance of my name was spelt wrong XD.

Siveria
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM

Testing the patch, The bombs only hit 2-3 times per enemy (2-3 dmg numbers come up depending how close to other mobs they are) but its alot better then when like 5-6 numbers per enemy came up. Beam change is nice.

Now, any plans to up shield regen? because as it is using +shield regen componnents is kinda a waste of power load, I have a decent shield and a +82% regen componnent, and I only have 2.4/s shield regen. Also got a nice componnent that is +49% max shield +52% weapon damage for beams. got about 800 shield and 2.4/s regen just don't cut it. I bascally have to hunt down recharge thingys or spam the shield heal items to recharge it.

Tyrax Lightning
03-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Testing the patch, The bombs only hit 2-3 times per enemy (2-3 dmg numbers come up depending how close to other mobs they are) but its alot better then when like 5-6 numbers per enemy came up. Beam change is nice.!!! My precious Bombs are getting NERFED!!? :'(

Shadow... does this have to do with your chance to play with Bombs on my Main in the Lvl 80s...? :eek:

Now, any plans to up shield regen? because as it is using +shield regen componnents is kinda a waste of power load, I have a decent shield and a +82% regen componnent, and I only have 2.4/s shield regen. Also got a nice componnent that is +49% max shield +52% weapon damage for beams. got about 800 shield and 2.4/s regen just don't cut it. I bascally have to hunt down recharge thingys or spam the shield heal items to recharge it.
Agreed. Shield Regen boosting Items give too little boost for their Power Load... even taking into account their being Light Components. We still need Heavy Slot Shield Components too, because it's damn painful trying to hold Medium Slot Shields & other Medium Slot Components at the same time... though I guess it can also be painful trying to hold enough Power Plants in the Heavy Slots for Non-Fringe Characters too... :eek: Is there fear of Overpoweredness if people use Medium Slot Shields & Heavy Slot Shields at the same time...? I say using Medium Slot Shields & Heavy Slot Shields at the same time's gonna be awfully difficult, considering how hard it is to have enough Power for Components in the later levels... & I bet there's no shortage of Ships that would be unable to spare that Heavy Slot for a Shield Component in place of another Power Plant... :whistle:

It's scary how hard it is to make do without Engineering Stat Power... especially on Characters that can't make do without Computer Stat as well, yet I dunno if adding Max Power Load to the Engineering Stat Bonuses would make the Stat itself OP compared to the benefits of other Stats... especially Computers, Structure, & Helm... Maybe Medium Slot & Light Slot Power Load Items could use a tad more buffness, while still being short of the Power Load giving power of Power Plants...?

Shadow
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Heehee I feel special, I got my name in the changes list XD. Though the second instance of my name was spelt wrong XD.

It's fixed now.

!!! My precious Bombs are getting NERFED!!? :'(

Shadow... does this have to do with your chance to play with Bombs on my Main in the Lvl 80s...? :eek:

No, I haven't had a chance to look at your save yet.

DDC1234
03-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Can't seem to find the forum again where i saw this but where do u increase the range of your beam since changing it under baseskillbeams where distance is still gives 16 units?