PDA

View Full Version : Targetable space mines?

Cockbite
03-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Can the random mines scattered around the sector be made targetable with a mod? In addition to the fact that they can't be set off by monsters or other races, it seems a bit unfair that they can target us but we can't target them

Tyrax Lightning
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Can the random mines scattered around the sector be made targetable with a mod? In addition to the fact that they can't be set off by monsters or other races, it seems a bit unfair that they can target us but we can't target them
VERY agreed! It's like a fake difficulty having those Mines target ONLY us & nothing else... not to mention who is even laying those things around for only US to get hit by? :confused:

Siveria
03-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I agree it'd be nice if we could blow them up or at least have them effect enemys as well. Even if its just the monster ships.

Professor Paul1290
03-11-2013, 05:28 AM
It does feel a bit weird that the mines only affect us, but it's worth mentioning it is somewhat consistent in a way.

I mean, as far as I know, we don't set off our own mines and they can't target our mines either. For the most part our mines do pretty much the same thing as their mines, we just don't get to lay as many of the darn things because there's more of them than us.

In a way our mines are even more evil per mine than their mines. We seem to have stealth mines that they never see, and they always blindly ram themselves into them! :rolleyes:

It would be nice if the mines affected opposing factions though...

Tyrax Lightning
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
It does feel a bit weird that the mines only affect us, but it's worth mentioning it is somewhat consistent in a way.

I mean, as far as I know, we don't set off our own mines and they can't target our mines either. For the most part our mines do pretty much the same thing as their mines, we just don't get to lay as many of the darn things because there's more of them than us.

In a way our mines are even more evil per mine than their mines. We seem to have stealth mines that they never see, and they always blindly ram themselves into them! :rolleyes:

It would be nice if the mines affected opposing factions though...
No, we don't have Stealth Mines... what ya describe is Artificial Stupidity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArtificialStupidity) from the AI. :p

Professor Paul1290
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
No, we don't have Stealth Mines... what ya describe is Artificial Stupidity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArtificialStupidity) from the AI. :p

Yea I know that, I'm just being sarcastic and/or facetious. :p

Anyway, I can definitely see where the current mines seem rather cheesy, but again our mines do the same thing as their mines so it does stay consistent in that sense.

In general I'm not too sure about how mines would stay relevant if they become target-able and easily kill-able. If they were target-able with normal weapons then they'd just become another think we click on our way flying around and wouldn't work very well as a deterrent from passing through certain areas and they wouldn't prompt as much of a change in player behavior as they should.

Mines are usually dangerous because you don't know exactly where they are, or you know generally where they are but you don't know precisely enough to get rid of them with conventional weapons and you have to use much slower means to navigate through them.
That would be frustrating as heck in this game so here they're visible (most of them at least), but that does make it seem weird when we can't destroy them when we can see them right in front of us.

I guess a possible alternative that might make more thematic sense would be to make all mines cloaked, but have them deploy marker lights that would be randomly placed within a short distance of the mine which would then collectively act like a sort of "minefield here" sign (without the barbed wire I guess). That way you'd have a general idea of where they were but not with enough precision at first to kill them right away, so they'd pretty much still act like mines in that they'd still function as a deterrent against passing through certain areas.
In that case the fastest way would still be to fly a good distance around where the warning lights are, but if you had to you'd still have the option of carefully navigating through, detecting, and shooting the mines.

In order to "detect" the mines, perhaps you could have them become visible if you fly within a certain distance that is inside of their AOE but not close enough to set them off. That way order to clear a mine field you'd carefully fly around where the mines are and taking care to avoid them as they show up, then you'd fly back out a safe distance to shoot them.

Siveria
03-12-2013, 01:48 AM
I dunno, in alot of space movies when there are mines in space, they usually can seem them from pretty far away (Dead space 3 for example) and they can shoot them down. Now if they were to make mines shootable, have some mines that are completly cloaked like ships, insted of like half cloaked like what we have now, sure they are shootable and destroyable, but not all can be seen.

Tyrax Lightning
03-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Idea: Extend Anti-Missile Defenses to also be able to take out the Mines too...? I haven't heard good things about their current usefulness as is...

Siveria
03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Idea: Extend Anti-Missile Defenses to also be able to take out the Mines too...? I haven't heard good things about their current usefulness as is...

Would be useless for me i got def stacked so high, and i have a -800 attack/def aura as well for anything near me, that missles rarely if ever hit me. If they get close I just launch a bomb to blow em all up. XD Its easy to do mostly because the missles move pretty dang slow for something with a rocket engine at the back of it. Think they are 250 speed or so. Then again I use a mod to make the speed cap 300 (for me and enemies, enemy ships can easly keep up with me going at 300). However their missles generally cannot catch me if I move in a circle. Might increase missle speed to 350 in my game so that they can catch me.

Tyrax Lightning
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I feel sorry for Hive Players... having a gimp Missile Defense Racial Slot...

Frankly, maybe the Missile Defense Items should be completely retooled into Mine Demolition Weapons...

I agree with ya on Missile Defense... my Main can defend himself with high Defense + Bombs, & my Fringe Character defends from Missiles easily with his EM Shockwave Weapon that he can nearly spam fire. It looks badass having several enemies charging into my Fringe's face making a wall of Missiles in the process & having them & all their Missiles all go BOOM & get completely annihilated with 2-4 EM Shockwave Bursts into THEIR faces! :D

Ludak021
04-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Would be useless for me i got def stacked so high, and i have a -800 attack/def aura as well for anything near me, that missles rarely if ever hit me. If they get close I just launch a bomb to blow em all up. XD Its easy to do mostly because the missles move pretty dang slow for something with a rocket engine at the back of it. Think they are 250 speed or so. Then again I use a mod to make the speed cap 300 (for me and enemies, enemy ships can easly keep up with me going at 300). However their missles generally cannot catch me if I move in a circle. Might increase missle speed to 350 in my game so that they can catch me.

increase missile speed? You'd die every time you see a bounty hunter. Besides, there are faster missiles on some mobs.

PS. That aura seems to do very little for me. Enemies have ~60% chance to miss me without it, and they rarely miss me, same with the aura. I'd go as far as to say that mobs have like 100% more att/def than player as a base, and veteran mobs even more...(I am not saying it is so, it's just a feeling bcs I often miss mobs although I shouldn't miss that much with 95% chance to hit)

As for space mines, bomb or dmg aura should take care of them.

sbach2o
04-16-2013, 05:04 AM
One thing commonly overlooked with their mines is how their explosions affect all around instead of just us players. I am not sure all those random mines are doing this with all their effects (i.e. the debuffing kind when it comes to power drain), but it certainly holds for damaging mines.

So, in effect we have another tool in our arsenal. After all, we can choose to avoid those mines, which is admittedly difficult at times, until it pays to set them off when the collateral damage does more to monsters or other enemies than to our ship. I can clear an entire screen of mosters by (more or less, usually less) deliberately running into the pile of mines layed by a stupit Acanth. This often includes the mine layer itself.

Just make sure to survive the blasts they don't.

Tyrax Lightning
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Note: Power Drain & Energy Drain are ineffective on NPCs because they get to have infinite Power Load & Energy for no reason at all whatsoever... Thank goodness NPCs are never allowed to use the fixed Big Bang Weapons... :/