PDA

View Full Version : How to make your own game?

Shadow
11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm asked this question fairly often. My short answer is don't, well at least if you want to make a commercial game.

My longer answer is: get a job in the gaming industry at a game developer. Work at that job for a few years on a full game project. By full project, I mean from the design phase all of the way through to the first couple patches at least. By doing this you will learn the full developement process, all the details of your specific piece of making games, what skills you lack and need to learn or find someone else to do, how hard games are to make, designing/developing/finishing games, and the relationship between developers, publishers, retailers, gamers, and press. You should also make as many good contacts as you can inside the industry (developers, publishers, press, etc.). After you have done that, then you have the basic knowledge of creating your own game and know if you are up to it or not.

Making a game is a difficult task in the first place. Learning how to make a game at the same time makes it almost impossible.