PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak layout

Kaishen
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello everyone!

I tried the demo and thought of buying it but the problem is that my main layout is not QWERTY, it's a layout named Dvorak. And in most games it will work automatically but this game wouldn't recognize that I even had a dvorak layout. Therefore it would be hard communicating in multiplayer. I'm wondering if I can fix this somehow or if you could add the dvorak layout to the game?

Thanks.

Chex Warrior
07-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Try using AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/). It can remap those keys however you want.

Kaishen
07-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you, I got it working using Autohotkey. Still would be nice with Dvorak being added in a future update or in the future games.

Thanks for the answer!

Shadow
07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm glad you found a solution, but I'll look at it and see if we can find an in-game solution. I probably just need to setup a new mapping option, but that's going to be difficult with a dvorak keyboard. :)

Colonel Blimp
09-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I too would like to add a hearty appeal for Dvorak support. This was the first problem I encountered in Din's Curse, and for me it's a show-stopper when it comes to multiplayer, since trying to chat by typing in Qwerty, a keyboard layout I abandoned many years ago, is unbelievably frustrating.

(AutoHotKey, as suggested above, is a Windows program and thus not a solution for us Mac users -- not that it would be a user-friendly solution in any event. Since the game has a mechanism to support alternate keyboard layouts, a Dvorak layout in the game would be vastly preferable.)

I'm glad you found a solution, but I'll look at it and see if we can find an in-game solution. I probably just need to setup a new mapping option, but that's going to be difficult with a dvorak keyboard. :)

N.B. If you meant to say that it's going to be difficult to setup a new mapping option without a Dvorak keyboard, be aware that you don't need a new keyboard at all. Mac OS X and Windows both come with Dvorak keyboard layouts installed. It's a software setting, so you already have everything you need.

In Mac OS X 10.5, go to System Preferences : International : Input Menu and check Dvorak, then verify that "Keyboard Viewer" (at the top of the list) and "Show input menu in menu bar" (at the bottom of the pane) are also checked. You now have an Input menu on the right side of your menu bar from which you can select Dvorak or U.S. (Qwerty). If you select Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu, you can even see a visual representation of the keyboard layout.

In Windows XP, go to Control Panel / Regional and Language Options, click the Languages tab, click Details, click Add, select "English (United States)" for the Input language, select "United States-Dvorak" for the Keyboard layout, click OK, click Language Bar, click "Show the Language bar on the desktop", click OK, click OK, then minimize the Language bar to the task bar. You can now switch keyboard layouts by clicking on the keyboard icon in the task bar. (I'll refrain from remarking on how many more steps this takes in Windows XP. :p )

Ideal Behavior
----------------

Ideally, you would add two slightly different Dvorak layouts: one that remaps all the keys all the time, and one that remaps to Dvorak for chatting but uses Qwerty for game control.

The reason being that most of us Dvorak typists use a keyboard with Qwerty key caps like everyone else; we don't bother to rearrange the physical key caps (we can't on most keyboards). I can touch-type Dvorak just fine (better than I could ever touch-type Qwerty even when I was a professional typist long ago), but if I'm playing an RPG and want to hit the Q key to open my quest log, it's often easier to remember a single key by looking at my keyboard than by relying on the unconscious memory associated with ten-finger typing of extended text.

(This would be analogous to the two Dvorak layouts included with Mac OS X: "Dvorak", and "Dvorak - Qwerty Cmd", which uses Qwerty for Command-key shortcuts such as Cmd-Z, Cmd-X, Cmd-C, and Cmd-V for Undo, Cut, Copy, and Paste, which on the Qwerty layout are conveniently grouped together at the left of the bottom row of keys, but which in Dvorak are scattered all over the keyboard.)

Thanks!

Shadow
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
This will hopefully be really helpful info, thanks.

Crisses
01-22-2011, 07:21 PM
yeah, me too. Very limiting to look at my keyboard to be able to type (and get mashed on by monsters while doing so), and of course I can't type long sentences because there's no pause in multiplayer. :/ I swapped to Dvorak about 6 years ago and promptly forgot how to type in qwerty. No regrets, except the lack of support in some software (like iPhones/iPad LOL - number 1 reason I got the bluetooth keyboard :/ ).

I was going to poke around in the files and see if I could figure out how to fix this issue, sad it's not something relatively easy -- but I'm glad I'm not the only DC/DoP Dvorak user. :)

Too difficult to hand keyboard layout handling to the operating system? :/

Crisses
01-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Uh -- the keyboard map files are straight text files.

Any clue if just changing this oneself would have any effect? Which numbers would one change -- column 1 or 2? Will the file override system work with this i.e. could I swap out the qwerty mac file in my own folder?

I'm willing to do it if I have a clue of best practice....

i.e. QWERTY:

// KeyboardCode DirectInputKey

50 41 // ~
53 1 // esc
18 2 // 1
19 3 // 2
20 4 // 3
21 5 // 4
23 6 // 5
22 7 // 6
26 8 // 7
28 9 // 8
25 10 // 9
29 11 // 0
27 12 // -
24 13 // =
51 14 // backspace
48 15 // tab
12 16 // q
13 17 // w
14 18 // e
15 19 // r
17 20 // t
16 21 // y
32 22 // u
34 23 // i
31 24 // o
35 25 // p

Crisses
01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I found later posts on the topic that talked about the keyboard mappings, and I fixed the files properly.

I'll have to package it properly so people have something to work with on their computers, since I didn't see any threads that have the dvorak layout files already done. I'll test in multiplayer for a bit then upload them. You have to re-map your keyboard configuration in the game options, but it beats not being able to chat during a heated game.

Sorry about the multiposts.

Crisses
01-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, I used it last night, and I fixed the bugs, and it worked while I was in chat, so I'm assuming it's time to package this one up for others.

See attached.

Drop the .zip file into your Assets folder, then when you run the game you need to go to Options -> Configure Input, select DVORAK under Keyboard Type.

You WILL have to change your in-game keyboard configuration manually to the keys you want to use, but most of the keys (1, 2, 3... Function keys, shift, alt, etc.) remain the same -- only the alphabetical characters change.

Then happy chatting. :)

Ghost Matter
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Shadow, if you can find the time, maybe the executable could get the keyboard info from the OS? The keyboard defaults to English (US) for me. I can work with that one but I prefer my french canadian version.