PDA

View Full Version : Favorite R.A Salvatore character?

wooaa
07-08-2010, 02:41 AM
what is your faveorit R.A salvador charator, i like Riges, he is not realy the adventureing type but manages to make himsellf usefull somewhere, and of coarse who wouldent like Guen.

i know this is a random question, but you asked for one.0/50 alinement babey!

DeathKnight1728
07-08-2010, 03:06 AM
I would say hands down artemis entreri. He represents the inner strength most people wish they had. He is stealthy, cunning, ruthless and sadistic. All of my favorite qualities in a assassin. He is also my inspiration for my main protagonist in my own stories-Lucien (who is also a thief).

As for drizzt, I like him. I just tend to think of him as too much of a goody goody. Drizzt is more or less a paladin. He is right in certain sections, but he has flaws.

I still think that if artemis entreri had drizzts training in menzo, he would be hands down the most powerful fighter in the whole FR. He can already tank most drow ....and he's human. Just think about it.

JSMany
07-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I haven't been keeping up with Salvador's new books, but I have to agree with you there. As a human, Entreri got to that level in few decades and he may be already past the peak of his physical prime, yet he can still kick most drows' collective asses.

However I'm a little upset that Entreri was so obsessive with being the best. Instead of going through that convoluted schemes to force Drizzt to fight one on one, he should have done his job as an assassin and just sniped/poisoned the goodygoody bastard. Things would have been much simpler for him if just did that.

Shadow
07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
However I'm a little upset that Entreri was so obsessive with being the best. Instead of going through that convoluted schemes to force Drizzt to fight one on one, he should have done his job as an assassin and just sniped/poisoned the goodygoody bastard. Things would have been much simpler for him if just did that.

Most books and movies would be very short if the bad guy had much intelligence. :)

wooaa
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Most books and movies would be very short if the bad guy had much intelligence. :)

true. and i also forgot that our assassen was only 30 or soo, while Drizzt was around 50-60 during there engagements. drizzt had 20 years of training, while Entrri probobly did not go to a formal fighing school.

DeathKnight1728
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
That's probably true. Drizzt is all in all really powerful. I cant wait until my 2nd favorite character gets his own book-zaknafein.

Salvatore said that he was eventually going to write a book about him and jarlaxle 50 years before drizzt. That would be awesome. Zaknafein is the man. I liked him more than drizzt throughout the whole dark elf trilogy.

Shadow
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
A Zaknafein book would be cool.

wooaa
07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
ya. i would read it, aslo i thing a book about hakle harpspell would be good for a laugh, he always has been the comic releef of the seires.

also, this has turend out way better then i thought it would have. i ment this as a joke, but it turned out much better then i expeticed.

JSMany
07-09-2010, 07:03 AM
When Drizzt was going through the magic training in the academy, didn't the masters there say that he had great potential for magic as well? It would have been interesting to see him follow the arcane path as well, but since there are plenty stories on overpowered wizards already, I guess I can't complain.

Also a question I always had but never really looked for an answer. Isn't Drizzt officially a ranger? If so what level is he and how come he doesn't have a real animal companion? His big magic kitty isn't summoned through his ranger powers, it's summoned through the magical artifact. So shouldn't he also get a bear companion or something?

DeathKnight1728
07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Drizzt is only officially a level 2 ranger. Guenywvar is considered an official animal companion. The reason that drizzt is only level 2 is because he is good at tracking and sneaking up behind someone but mostly he is a fighter. I would say he is something like- Fighter lvl 18, Ranger lvl 3. Since drizzt is mostly a weaponmaster, he can use almost any weapon and be deadly. He is still a ranger just spends more time fighting than doing regular ranger stuff (like having a bow, though he did at few times)

The masters didnt so much as say that he would make a great mage, matron malice wanted him to be a mage. Zaknafein didnt want this, so therefore he threw 10 coins up in the air. Drizzt caught all of them, and so he became to train as a fighter. While he was at the academy, he got trained a little in the arcane arts, but was uninterested in it. He probably could be a mage, but like we need another one of them.

wooaa
07-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Drizzt is acording to here http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt Chaotic good, however, he has nevver seemed to have a " screw the rules i am doing this becuse this is right" sorta moment. i have only just finished passage to dawn 2 days ago, the book about SPOLER! the reamurgence of the cristal shard and the return of Wulfger, and he seems to act like a neutrel or lawfull good. END SPOLER.

and the reson why our fave assasen didint just snipe our blue skined hero is because he is lawfull eviel, at least acording to the site i linked, wich meens that he has a set of rulles, as mest up as they are, and has a twisted sence of honer, wich is why he could not live without knowing who was better. he had given up evryithing to become one of the most skilled swodsmen on eastern farun, and yet Drizzt seems to have somthing that he can not stand, frends. Drizzt can have his cake and eat it too. Entrei could not aforde to have freinds in his profetion, and he was okay with it, but when he saw Drizzt, he had to destory him in order to prove to himself that he had not mad the wrong choses in life.

torikamal
07-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, it's been a very long time since I have read any Drizzt stuff, but, his Chaotic Goodness could be argued to be correct simply for the fact that he completely threw out the ideals of Drow culture. Even though they were all evil, they still had laws, so he in fact committed a very chaotic act and has continued that act every day of his life.

Rebelling against evil law is still rebelling against law.

wooaa
07-09-2010, 11:28 PM
hmmm, i never thought about it like that. it works.

JSMany
07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
DeathKnight, I don't have the books with me but I have a vague memory of the magic masters in the academy mentioning something about Drizzt's gift in arcane arts. Then I think Drizzt said something about how he preferred the sure thing of the blades to the heart over uncertainty of magic on drows... but it could be that I'm trippin' again.

Also I could understand the importance of being the best blade in the world to Entreri, but I would have preferred him desiring to be the best assassin since that seems to fit his personality better. That's just my opinion though and I'm sure others disagree.

DeathKnight1728
07-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Being the best assassin according to logic means almost nothing. An assassin can be anyone, fighter...mage...rogue..priest, you name it. Assassins are most always known to be stealthy people. Entreri is, but he is more of get in someone's face and say: what are you gonna do type of guy. He does use the shadows when he can, but not as much with drizzt. Artemis does have a code of honor like you say, but he doesn't always follow it. *SPOILER*-He still has that evil streak as i remember him losing a fight with a mage (as they all do). And then he uses his dagger to kill two homeless people to rejuvenate himself.
END SPOILERS

In reality these alignments mean almost nothing to me. I mean it's cool that they define a character, but where are you gonna find a guy in real life that says: "I'm not going to kill you, your unarmed, pick up a weapon and we'll see." Everyone knows that he will blow your head off in a second and then laugh about it or go to church....which makes no sense to me either. They just dont care.

Let's discuss this. Lawful evil from what i think, means they obey the laws out of fear of them. But doesnt everybody? The only thing that differentiates them is that they love when they can get away with something because of an inadequacy in laws. They thrive on that. This would be someone like Bernie Madoff. He used the loopholes and fault of the system to make money even though people were getting screwed.

Neutral Evil is the trickiest in my opinion. They will only break a law if they can get away with it. Which is why they are the sneakiest in my opinion. Chaotic evil are simple, they are the brute that beats someone down until they pass out. They will fight the cops when they arrive and hurt as many as neccessary. These type generally never last too long in my book. The reason being is that as i always say: He who makes the most noise, digs the first grave. I would like to say that the lawful evil and neutral evil are the tricky ones cause you dont know what to make of them.

JSMany
07-10-2010, 02:56 AM
Yeah like you, I'm not too big on labeling a character with certain alignments either, since in reality, no one is ever so clearly defined. People are complicated and that means they don't always follow their principles, no matter what they may profess.

That's one reason political parties have such difficult time forcing their members to vote according to party lines because people aren't made of one idea and that idea alone. There are hardcore liberal democratic senators who do not believe in abortion while there are diehard republicans who believe in gay rights.

By labeling a character as a certain alignment and always have that character follow that alignment makes it boring and one dimensional. Best storytellers can create complex characters with conflicting principles while struggling to create a realistic resolution to such conflicts. This is where I have beef with Entreri.

Salvatore made it so that Entreri values being the best Swordsman more than being the best Assassin. There is a difference. The best swordsman will always win in sword fights while the best assassin will always get the kill. Entreri didn't get the kill with Drizzt and that drastically lowered his value as an assassin for a good period of time. Who would hire an assassin that places more importance on personal glory than getting the job done, especially when Entreri could have gotten that kill if he chose to forgo his personal need to validate himself through one on one battle with Drizzt?

Maslow
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
what does any of this have to do with the topic? can a mod clean this up or something?

wooaa
07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
lets face it, Entreri is a little messed up in the head. at first he seemed to me like just a cold, calculateing criminal, he gets the job done and lets nothing distract him, and has nothing agenst killing. this comes along quite well when he took Catti-Brie hostage. however, once he met Drizzt, he began to fall apart and began to behave eraticly. but after he and Drizzt parted ways at the end of Starless Night he seemed to have returnned to normal, sorta.

and by the way, this is the forgoten rellm wiki defaniton of Lawful evil.

Lawful evil is the methodical, intentional, and frequently successful devotion to a cruel organized system. In 4th edition mechanics for Dungeons & Dragons lawful evil is found under the umbrella of the "evil" alignment.
A lawful evil character methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his personal code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He's comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He is loath to break promises, and he is therefore very cautious about giving his word unless a bargain is clearly in his favour.
This reluctance comes partly from his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil villains have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but having underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They feel these personal morals put them above unprincipled villains.
Many lawful evil characters use society and its laws for selfish advantages, exploiting the letter of the law over its spirit whenever it best suits their interests.
Some lawful evil people and creatures commit themselves to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end unto itself. They may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master.
Lawful evil is sometimes called "diabolical", because devils are the personification of lawful evil.
A tyrannical ruler who drafts the rules to suit himself, a corrupt lawyer or judge who uses the law to mask his own misdeeds, and the ruthless bosses and minions of organized crime are all examples of lawful evil characters.

END

this fits Entreri prity well in my opinion, he worked in a thives guilld for meny years, and wass winning to blay the tissted game of the guilld.

wooaa
07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
what does any of this have to do with the topic? can a mod clean this up or something?

ya, sorry, but could you blame us? Din was the name of Drizzt's brother.

JSMany
07-10-2010, 11:27 PM
ya, sorry, but could you blame us? Din was the name of Drizzt's brother.

Be that as it may, we should still respect the OP's wishes and post further comments, ideas, and theories on Misc section of the forum.

Shadow
07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
All of this was in the wrong thread, so I moved it over here. Please carry on.

DeathKnight1728
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
My favorite evil character is hands down-Artemis Entreri. He represents a person that everyone wishes they could be. Strong, powerful, quick, cunning, bold-he's got it all. He's the perfect assassin and best bad guy you'll ever see.

My favorite good character is zaknafein (drizzt's father). I like Zak because he is a very good guy, but is extremely ruthless. He has no problem killing people he knows are scum. A person that has no qualms with going after the dishonorable and at the same time-tries to protect the innocent. I like him more than drizzt because I think drizzt is too soft. If he was a little more hard, he would be more powerful in my opinion.

DeathKnight1728
12-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Ive been thinking lately about who i feel represents the best rogue in the ra salvatore series. The funny thing when i think about it is Artemis is not even close to being it. I used to think so because hes an assassin, but once you think about how he acts, hes just the opposite. A real rogue is not one that will engage in a fight right away, but more so one that will use his enemies against each other until they are completely surprised. Then he will make his attack. In all of the ra salvatore books, though they say he is an assassin, he is more like a brutal and sadistic fighter. When someone pisses artemis off, he usually automatically will kill them. A real rogue wouldnt do that at all. They would avoid the fight almost completely until they have their opponent in a vicegrip, at which point they would send them to the abyss.

There are two characters, one of which alludes me, that have the rogue thing going on. Jarlaxle is a rogue all the way, he uses people against each other and then when they are completely caught by surprise, he makes his attack. There is one other character whose name i forget that is a good character that you dont hear much about. The thief that travels with wulfgar in his personal book that is just about him. I cant remember his name, but he is cool and pretty funny. Its too bad they dont do more stories about him. Salvatore is now doing stories with his son. I still think he should go back to old school with the stories about Zaknafein and Jarlaxle before Drizzt was born. He said that one day he will make a series or book about those 2. Now that would be cool, Zaknafein is the man and i like him more than drizzt and any of the other characters.

Inspired
01-12-2011, 03:57 AM
My favorite character would be either Cadderly or The Highwayman. I really loved the Highwayman and continue to still read it. It was a fresh approach and witty besides having all of Drizzt goodness..

Also, whoever mentioned Drizzt levels (According to D&D) he is also a barbarian because he occasionally rages. I think it is something like Ranger 6. Fighter 8. Rogue 2. Dervish 1, Barbarian 1.

DeathKnight1728
01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I like cadderly's wife a lot (I forget her name). She does a pretty good job against fighting multiple people with absolutely no weapons but her fists and feet. I guess that would make her a monk. Jarlaxle is cool too. I dont care what anyone says about jarlaxle's class, i swear that he is a bard (blade) through and through.

Artemis last book was good but way too sad. I was almost at tears from learning what he went through.

frank911
03-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Entreri is the dude. he is my favorite character.