PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Loading issue...

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
When the game runs, it runs well and I abuse it heavily (Thanks Jorlen!)

But lately I've been getting this error upon clicking on the icon:

Critical Error!

Failed Display setup.

Then I get returned to the desktop. Some days I can I play it all day long, and other days, it gives me this.

I used to be able load a random game and it would seem to correct itself. That trick doesn't seem to be working anymore. I've re-installed the game, I've installed the 1.003 patch, I've tweaked my Vista graphics settings, I haven't changed anything in the OS since last year... It happens anyways, no matter what I do.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Stef.

Shadow
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Two possible solutions are to upgrade your graphics drivers or you could run in window.

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
As much as I'd like to upgrade my video drivers, I can't. I already have the best ones for my laptop - and they haven't released an update in eons. :(

All my other games work just fine. This one seems to be moody. It feels like if I over play it the day before, it wants a break - and trust me, on my days off, I abuse the crap out of this game!!! :D

I'll give the "windowed" method a try and report back...

(I'm going through Din withdrawals at the moment!!)

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Will not run in windowed mode, still get the same error:

Critical Error!

Failed Display setup.

AUUUGHHHhhh. I broke my Din!!!

Shadow
07-23-2010, 02:07 PM
You shouldn't be able to get the Failed Display setup in window mode. How are you changing to window mode?

Oh, the other thing you could try is to run the game at a different resolution.

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok, just had a brain fart - I was changing the default.cfg only. I went into my appdata -> Din's directory and changed my user.cfg.

I got it to load in a windowed mode now.

I reversed the process to see if it would load in normal mode. I got the same error.

I'm going to try a different resolution as well now...

It worked fine yesterday and I haven't changed anything, what would cause that to occur?!?

DeathKnight1728
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I suffer from the same problem. I know it's annoying but put it the lower resolution (the one all the way on the left from where you are at). When you do that it sort of works for a while. This seems to be a problem with certain systems of computers as I dont hear about it as often. The windowed mode wont usually fix it either. It's just a matter of changing resolution. If you have any other questions about this, feel free to ask.

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I managed to get it running in the windowed mode (1200x800) for now so I've decided to start tinkering with the resolution.

No dice. It still won't load full-screen anymore. (It still bothers me that it was running FINE yesterday in full screen 1200x800 and today it won't load.)

I wanna see if I can make it break in the windowed mode now. Just cause.

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, I can't get it to crash in windowed mode which is good.

I can play it in any resolution in windowed mode.

I can no longer get it to load or play in full screen mode now.

Somthing broke overnight and I suspect it's within the game as all my other ones still work fine.

This is a temporary fix as I'd still like to be able to play it in full screen again.

Jorlen
07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Shadow, is there any other error information that can be extracted other than the "Critical error failed display setup"? Is there a log somewhere he can check maybe for more info?

Shadow
07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Not really. That particular error message means that Windows failed a ChangeDisplaySettings command. Actually it means it failed a bunch of them because the game tries a bunch of different options if they fail. All that gets passed to Windows is a width, height, bit depth, and optionally a frequency.

You could make sure that the variable r_freq is set to 0.

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Just checked it - it's already set to "0" (zero)...

Ok, here's a thought, why would it just suddenly start to fail when I've been playing it full screen all this time (and it doesn't always fail...)? If it was a driver(s) issue, my other games would be failing as well, which they are not.

No settings on the laptop have changed from this day or any other day. No settings have been changed in Din. (Other than what I did today to test the problem, they've since been reset to default.)

There should be a way to export the error data so we can plug this hole effectively.

Shadow
07-26-2010, 02:17 PM
They might not be OpenGL games though. You could also try to restart, if you haven't already, and see if that helps.

Shadow
07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I am putting some more info in the logs when this fails though to see if we can get some more information.

m0stly_harmless
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, here's an update:

The restart didn't do nothing for it...

BUT...

I managed to play all weekend in fullscreen. No burps, no crashes, nothing. I don't get it.

(wonder if a powerdown & restart was what fixed it...)

I just got home, so I haven't tried it yet, but I'll keep an eye on it as I did notice a little quirk on Friday. I wanna see if it's linked or just a hiccup.

m0stly_harmless
07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Wow. Here's a first. It actually crashed during game play....

Here's some info on it....

Product
DinsCurse.exe

Problem
Stopped working

Date
26/07/2010 16:08

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DinsCurse.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4c461559
Fault Module Name: DinsCurse.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c461559
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000c80c0
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Just an FYI, I haven't run into this particular problem since the last time...

I'm still monitoring things though.

Shadow
08-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Well if it does, I have some extra logging stuff in version 1.004 that might tell us some more details.

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Awesome. I'll keep you posted.