PDA

View Full Version : Mod request: No abandon penalty

Jorlen
08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm really not interested in the new penalty system as me and my bro mainly play for fun. We take turns hosting and eventually out-level one of our games and it's not really fair to be punished for it (and the XP debt is really harsh IMO).

Can I request a mod be created to do away with the abandon penalty?

Thank you :)

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
^^^^^ Fully agree. :cool:

Jorlen
08-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Shadooooooooooooooooow! Heeeeeeeeeelp :)

We're such a needy bunch, aren't we?

Shadow
08-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Right now it is hardcoded into the engine.

m0stly_harmless
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
It was added recently, so in theory, it can be removed.

We shouldn't be penalized for the way we play our game. It's our game. We bought it. Why should anyone care if I skipped a town because it had 4 horribly painful modifiers, or three, or two or one?!? I should be free to pick and choose which town I want to play in and who's asses I want to save. Heck, if I get half way through one and hate where it's going (specially if I spend more time saving the town than killing dongeon baddies), I should be free to walk away from it any time. I'm not hurting anyone's feelings. Let the damn place burn. heheh

So it gets logged in the stats. That should be enough punishment.

This XP punishment thing feels like an exercise in control of the players by the Dev. This level of control should not be excersised IMO in a non MMO game.

If there seems to be an immeasurable need to punish us for giving up a town, it should be a SMALL hit on the REPUTATION of the character, not XP. Reputation seems to be better suited for that kind of thing. (If I leave a party early, it's my rep that get hurt, not my life experience.)

Just sayin'.

Jorlen
08-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Right now it is hardcoded into the engine.

http://s3.media.squarespace.com/production/488498/5552634/wp-content/uploads/sad-panda.jpg

Zup
08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
It was added recently, so in theory, it can be removed.

We shouldn't be penalized for the way we play our game.

If there seems to be an immeasurable need to punish us for giving up a town, it should be a SMALL hit on the REPUTATION of the character, not XP. Reputation seems to be better suited for that kind of thing. (If I leave a party early, it's my rep that get hurt, not my life experience.)
I'd like to say that I agree with this. And not to be overly critical, but if there's going to be such a major revision to one of the core systems of the game in a patch, perhaps it would have been better for it to be possible to mod back to how something was, as there's bound to be players who liked the original version of something better.

Jorlen
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I'd like to say that I agree with this. And not to be overly critical, but if there's going to be such a major revision to one of the core systems of the game in a patch, perhaps it would have been better for it to be possible to mod back to how something was, as there's bound to be players who liked the original version of something better.

Maybe make it an option in an .ini file or something so that the people who really want to turn it off can, with a bit of effort.

Magitek
08-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Personally I don't understand the reasoning here, unless you're throwing away towns left and right this shouldn't be a particularly great burden.

Having to work against bad modifiers and town attacks I thought was one of the better points of Din's Curse. Reputation alone is not a particularly powerful deterrent against just remaking whenever the going gets tough.

There is a much greater sense of achievement when you save a town that is actually in danger. Sometimes you might lose a couple NPCs in town, sometimes you'll lose an important one, and maybe, you'll have to restore a part of the town instead of just cutting everything down like a typical game.

Ofcourse, I have no problem with it being opened for modding, but if anything I'm thankful the penalty for abandoning towns was increased; now you have to deal with atleast some consequences before you mash the next button.

Being able to generate your favorite world modifiers and leaving those you aren't fond of will lead certain players to a somewhat linear experience, If it wasn't for this penalty some of my friends would just keep remaking until they get the best worlds instead of just playing the game; I really don't want to see this behaviour manifest, because once they start they never stop.

This is obviously just my opinion but I decided I would provide some resistance on the subject.

m0stly_harmless
08-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Your resistance is noted...

Again though, I ask:

How does my playing style affect yours? Yours doesn't affect mine.

At the very least it should be made a toggle option just like "hardcore" and "dirt poor". It would be better as another modification - not something forced onto us.

udm
08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
This was added in because people could just re-roll a new town if the one they're given was full of potential problems (petrified people, expensive food, cursed items). Personally, I think this is necessary for singleplayer since re-rolling towns with no penalties is cheating.

OTOH, having played multi, I can see why this is a problem for the players. I've had XP penalties too because we wanted to start a new world again for the sake of playing the whole thing through, right from the beginning. Perhaps the XP penalty can be waived for multiplayer? After all, it is slightly more troublesome to create a new world online, than it is in singleplayer - that should be penalty enough. It also indirectly offers an option to those who really don't want to play on towns with 2-3 negative modifiers, though I still think that defeats the purpose of the game.

Shadow
08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
There will be a way in version 1.005 to turn the xp penalty off for abandoning towns (except for hardcore characters).

m0stly_harmless
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Awesome! Thank you Sir!

Jorlen
08-12-2010, 03:11 PM
There will be a way in version 1.005 to turn the xp penalty off for abandoning towns (except for hardcore characters).

You're like, awesome and stuff.

NathanG
09-26-2010, 01:19 AM

Shadow says it can be turned off. The changelog says it can be turned off. I can't figure out how to turn it off! I'm running 1.007 on a MacBook.

Nothing -- notes, manual, fora topics -- seems to explain.

Is it hidden? Is there a secret handshake? Must I sacrifice a chicken? Worse, must I delete my characters and start from scratch?

Help?

Nate

Shadow
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes, chickens must be sacrificed. :)

Someone just needs to make a mod for it. If I have time I might make one later today.

Shadow
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Ok, there is now a No Abandon Penalty mod over on our mod page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Mods.html).

NathanG
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you very much!

I'm actually looking forward to checking it out to see if one invokes the mod by going to a vendor in town, buying a chicken, and...

Short of that, Shadow, I'll very happily buy you a beer (or pomegranate juice, according to your tastes).