PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Din's Curse to start anymore!

Trelow
08-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I've recently wiped my computer, and upgraded to Windows 7. After reinstalling Din's Curse, I can't get it to start! I've tried compatibility mode, I've tried the patches, I've tried not the patches, and I've tried running as an admin. Not sure what else to try.

DeathKnight1728
08-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Not sure what the scoop is. What does it say when it fails to start? Does it say anything?

Trelow
08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
It says nothing. The .exe doesn't even seem to show up as trying to launch in Task Manager. I've tried reinstalling and with each patch.

Shadow
08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
You could post your log.txt file that is in
Vista/Win7 - C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\DinsCurse\User
and that might tell us how far it is getting when you run it.

Trelow
08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
It's blank, and doesn't seem to want to upload with Chrome. I'll try with FireFox later.

I found that one of the HL2 mods my son plays likes to leave the hl2.exe hanging around when it closes, and after closing that Din's will pop up momentarily. But then disappears.

Shadow
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I should have mentioned to get anything useful out of log.txt you need to be playing with one of the latest patches.

Trelow
08-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Yea, It's patched, and the log is still blank.

Shadow
08-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Ok, open up user.cfg which is in C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\DinsCurse\User

Change logfile to 2.
Save the file.
Start the game.
Now hopefully log.txt will have some useful text in it.

Note: if we can get the game running correctly again you will want to change logfile back to 1.

Trelow
08-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Hmmm. Nothing in the folder except log.txt.

Just uninstalled, and reinstalled, repatched, and still, nothing there except log.txt. Maybe Din doesn't like the drive I'm putting him on?

Shadow
08-26-2010, 06:24 PM
It looks like it hasn't ever gotten far enough to write your cfg file. We can create one though.

In the directory where log.txt is just create a file called user.cfg and put the following line in it
logfile 2
and then try everything again.

Trelow
08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Yea, that didn't work. HOWEVER getting my 4870 back from RMA hell did.

Apparently the backup 512MB X800 XL couldn't play with it.

Shadow
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
That's strange, but I'm glad that you have it working again.

SimonDark
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
This issue occurs for me as well. I uninstalled the old demo and installed the newest one but nothing happens. I get the Vista load circle > it changes to an arrow > game crashes.

If i hit escape before the mouse icon turns to an arrow it will exit the game with no crash message.

I followed all the instructions in this post but log.txt is still blank.

SimonDark
10-14-2010, 11:26 PM
out of curiosity I reinstalled the 10004 demo and it doesnt work anymore either.

SimonDark
10-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I fixed the issue (Somehow). I uninstalled the Din's Curse Demo. I also searched for any remaining files as well as did a registry clean for the two abandoned files there.

I also reinstalled my drivers (same version I already had) and rebooted after that.

I am up and running though and I really don't think I gave this game a fair chance.

Shadow
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm glad you got things working.

szepa
03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I have the same probem. I created the user.cfg and put the logfile 2 line in but the log is still blank.

Shadow
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I have the same probem. I created the user.cfg and put the logfile 2 line in but the log is still blank.

It seems like this is usually a graphics driver issue.

Jack67
04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I had a problem with Din's Curse not running, but I might have done something stupid: I was running the 1.023 beta patch, then I downloaded the final patch version of 1.023 when it was taken out of beta -- just in case a change had been made. Once applied, DC wouldn't launch -- just hang then fail without a message. I re-installed the beta 1.023 and it was happy again.

I bought the expansion while it was still in beta. Does that have anything to do with this instability? It's such a simple patch procedure, I wasn't expecting to be any problem changing from a beta 1.023 to a RC 1.023. Am I violating some unwritten rule?

Shadow
04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I had a problem with Din's Curse not running, but I might have done something stupid: I was running the 1.023 beta patch, then I downloaded the final patch version of 1.023 when it was taken out of beta -- just in case a change had been made. Once applied, DC wouldn't launch -- just hang then fail without a message. I re-installed the beta 1.023 and it was happy again.

I bought the expansion while it was still in beta. Does that have anything to do with this instability? It's such a simple patch procedure, I wasn't expecting to be any problem changing from a beta 1.023 to a RC 1.023. Am I violating some unwritten rule?

What you did should have been fine. The 1.023 beta and official patches were the same thing. For Windows it was literally the same file with a different name. It's possible that something got corrupted on download though.

Soundwave
04-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Hello, I seem to have the same problem as Simon did. I downloaded the demo and when I run it it's just black screen. When I press enter or esc the game crashes.
I'm running Windows 7 32bit on Geforce GT 9800, additionally I tried running it with the oldest drivers I could find (195.62) and now am downloading the newest but I doubt it will help, will edit later.
log.txt is empty.

By the way, do you plan on releasing Din's Curse on Steam and/or GOG? Retail would be nice too, I can't get used to this digital stuff.

Edit: yup, the newest drivers do nothing.

Maledictus
04-28-2011, 09:30 AM
In general this is connected to graphics/driver issues. Installing and re-installing drivers can create quite a mess. It's best, when uninstalling, to really clean the system before installing new drivers. Never install drivers over existing (loaded) ones. If the thought of manually cleaning up doesn't appeal, this may help:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/
I understand that pointing out a commercial tool isn't cool, but I've used it for years and it's super. Just thought I'd mention it.

Things to try:

- Do the other games work? Try the Depths of Peril demo and/or the Kivi demo.
- The games use OpenGL, use this simple test app to see if OpenGL works okay:
http://www.all7.com/download.php?opengl_test
If the FPS (displayed in the bar) is single digit, the OpenGL hardware support isn't working properly. If the FPS is in the hundreds it is.
- Try changing the hardware acceleration level for the soundcard (soundcard drivers can also cause problems). Run "DXdiag" and switch to the sound tab, check and play with the hardware acceleration slider. Lower (to the left) means less hardware involved and therefore lower crash risks (if drivers are buggy).
- When running Win7 you might have access to Windows XP mode (available for Pro and higher), you could try that. Check the help system for details. It's not the perfect solution, but if that actually works you have a reference point from where to look further.

Soundwave
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey there, here's how it is.
1. The OpenGL test works fine, 60+ fps.
2. For some reason I cannot change my soundcard hardware acceleration level.
I have 2 Sound tabs, neither of them has the slider.
3. XP mode etc doesn't work, I've tried everything there (almost).
4. Other games run normally (Guild Wars, Portal 2, Starcraft 2).
5. Soldak games don't run, just like Din's Curse. Black screen, crash. I've tried DoP and Kivi's Underworld demos and same thing happens. Additionally I dug up the older Din's demo and same thing happens.

Bluddy
04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I suspect it could be a problem OpenAL (the game's sound driver) is having with your sound drivers. What you may want to try is a demo for another game that uses OpenAL such as this (http://www.ufo-afterlight.com/pages/download.html#demo) game. See if that works.

You may also want to try the very latest version of OpenAL here (http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip). Copy the files OpenAL32.dll and wrap_aol.dll to the Din's Curse folder.

You can also check the log file in "users/your login name/Local Settings/Application Data/DinsCurse/User/log.txt". It doesn't say much, but the last thing in it should be "Debug system started".

Soundwave
04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks a lot, Bluddy, overwriting these 2 files in Din's folder helped.
May you be rewarded with many chubby babies.

Shadow
04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help Bluddy and Maledictus!

Maledictus
04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I suspect it could be a problem OpenAL...
Nice catch, I'll remember that.

Phil8888
06-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I've recently wiped my computer, and upgraded to Windows 7. After reinstalling Din's Curse, I can't get it to start! I've tried compatibility mode, I've tried the patches, I've tried not the patches, and I've tried running as an admin. Not sure what else to try.

If nothing else works, I had the same problem (and nothing mentioned above worked) but managed to rectify it this way:-

1) Right Click ShortCut
2) Select Properties
3) Click Compatibility tab
4) In Compatibility mode, select Windows NT4.0 (service pack 5)
5) Tick to Disable visual themes
6) Tick to Disable desktop composition
7) Tick to Disable scaling on high DPI settings
8) Tick to run program as an administrator.

The game will now *fingers crossed* run and no problems so far either. This also works for Depths of Peril.

tkirby2003
06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I have a laptop with an Intel HD 3000 video card and Nvidia GT540M. Din's Curse plays with the Intel but I get a black screen and then a crash if I try to play with the Nvidia card. The laptop is supposed to use the Intel card for non gaming and then switch to the Nvidia when you start a game. When it works it works great but has issues with some games.

Bluddy
06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I have a laptop with an Intel HD 3000 video card and Nvidia GT540M. Din's Curse plays with the Intel but I get a black screen and then a crash if I try to play with the Nvidia card. The laptop is supposed to use the Intel card for non gaming and then switch to the Nvidia when you start a game. When it works it works great but has issues with some games.

Anti-aliasing seems to be an issue with the game. Try starting the game on the Intel card, disabling anti-aliasing, and then starting with the Nvidia.

tkirby2003
06-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Anti-aliasing seems to be an issue with the game. Try starting the game on the Intel card, disabling anti-aliasing, and then starting with the Nvidia.

Thanks for the help. I tried with AA off and still no go. It will work in windowed mode. Full screen and it goes black screen then crash. On windowed mode there are long pauses where the game becomes unresponsive for 3 or 4 seconds then comes back for a second or two then repeats when in the title screen and the option screens. Hasn't happened while playing so far.

Sarkazein
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Heya,

Yeah I can confirm that DC crashes on startup if it's set up as fullscreen on my Windows7 machine with ATI cards (Radeon 6870). Also crashes if I ever switch back to fullscreen once the game has loaded. If you guys are having trouble on Nvidia cards, maybe it's a Windows (7? Vista? XP?) issue, instead of a vendor-specific graphics driver issue?

tkirby2003
06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with multiple video cards. My other pc has an ati radeon and plays fine. Both pcs are running windows 7 64 bit.

Sarkazein
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with multiple video cards. My other pc has an ati radeon and plays fine. Both pcs are running windows 7 64 bit.

I thought that might be the case, but I tried disabling Crossfire and it didn't help in my case. I might try some other options to "further" disable one of the cards... Incidentally, I'm only testing the PC side with the DC/DW demo. I think it said it was version 1.22, but the patch notes didn't seem to contain anything other than balance notes between that and 1.24.

On the other hand, DC/DW (full version 1.24) works fine on my MacBook Pro that switches between integrated Intel graphics and an GeForce GT 330M. Maybe it's a Windows+Multi-Card thing?

tkirby2003
06-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Windowed works fine. Now to figure out the sporadic pausing I get for a second every now and again. Hard drive light comes on and everything freezes for a sec then back to normal.

tkirby2003
06-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Windowed works fine. Now to figure out the sporadic pausing I get for a second every now and again. Hard drive light comes on and everything freezes for a sec then back to normal.

It is the hard drive. I copied Din's Curse to an external hard drive and it runs perfectly. No pausing at all. Sounds like a good excuse to put a faster hard drive in to me. :-)

Shadow
06-14-2011, 11:53 AM
It is the hard drive. I copied Din's Curse to an external hard drive and it runs perfectly. No pausing at all. Sounds like a good excuse to put a faster hard drive in to me. :-)

I seem to recall someone else having a similar issue. After defragmenting their hard drive their problems went away.

Bluddy
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Could be fragmentation, but since it's your main hard drive, it could be that something in the background is constantly writing to your hard drive, slowing down Din's. Could be a downloading program of some sort. I know I had a problem with a search indexing program.

tkirby2003
06-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I seem to recall someone else having a similar issue. After defragmenting their hard drive their problems went away.

Thanks for everyone's help. I ran the diagnostic software for the hard drive and there are tons of surface scan errors. I am gonna head to Bestbuy after work and get a new hard drive.

Ghakis
07-01-2011, 02:02 AM
I am having a similar issue.

In my case I had the game on my old Vista system. Upgraded the whole system and installed Windows 7 64 bit and now Din's Curse just will not run. As soon as I try to launch the game I get a dialog box that says "DinsCurse.exe has stopped working." The first couple of times I tried it I would get the main menu screen, but now I don't even get that far. I've tried turning off AA and triple buffering in the video settings with no change. I have uninstalled and re-installed. I have tried running 1.004 with and without the latest patches. The game just doesn't run. I can't even think about the new expansion until I can get this running.

System information:
Windows 7 64 bit
8GB RAM
Core i7 2600
ATI 6950 2GB RAM (running latest drivers - 11.6)

Here's the detail from the "stopped working" dialog box:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: DinsCurse.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4c507b1e
Fault Module Name: DinsCurse.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c507b1e
Exception Offset: 002956a4
Exception Code: c000000d
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3041
Additional Information 2: 3041264b1a6224830553e0c338d6fc0a
Additional Information 3: b69b
Additional Information 4: b69b62862ca45fbd971244b517bb8872

Sarkazein
07-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Is it crashing before it gets to the main menu? Try pressing Alt+Enter as soon as the game starts loading (when you see the program window pop up). This will tell it to switch to windowed mode. If that fixes it, you have the same problem I and a few others do. For us, the game refuses to run in full-screen mode, but works fine windowed.

Bluddy
07-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Additionally you can try updating the game's OpenAL drivers from here (http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip).

Ghakis
07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Is it crashing before it gets to the main menu? Try pressing Alt+Enter as soon as the game starts loading (when you see the program window pop up). This will tell it to switch to windowed mode. If that fixes it, you have the same problem I and a few others do. For us, the game refuses to run in full-screen mode, but works fine windowed.

It never reaches the main screen. I double click the short cut and I immediately get the dialog box saying that dinscurse.eve has stopped working.

I have tried Run as Administrator and running in compatibility modes based on other posts I've seen here but no joy.

Ghakis
07-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Additionally you can try updating the game's OpenAL drivers from here (http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip).

Thanks for the suggestion but I still get exact same behaviour - crashes immediately when launched.

This is frustrating. This is the first problem I've had with an app after moving to Win 7 64 bit. *sigh*

Ghakis
07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Success!

I completely deleted the Din's Curse folder under AppData which forced the game to rebuild it upon start up. Now it works!

Thanks to all for their suggestions and replies.

tkirby2003
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Have you tried windowed mode?

Chew
07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I have the same problem as FleabagF7, nothing helps! The demo works fine. I also have an ATI videocard (HD 4850) and I think this is the problem.

Chew
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Is anyone from the devteam working on this issue now? Can we except a patch fixing this problem soon?

Shadow
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately it probably is an ATI issue. Here's some other things you can try though:

1) Turn off ATI Tray tool's on-screen-display.
2) Turn off Triple buffering

You could also add the line
logfile 2
to your user.cfg to force it to write every thing to the log file even if it crashes. Then you could post the log.txt file and we could see how far the start up sequence is getting.

Shadow
08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I have neither of those options enabled and log.txt is empty even after setting logfile 2 and launching Din's Curse.

Well that probably means that it is a graphics issue (not guaranteed but most likely).

You said you placed an opengl dll in the Din's Curse directory which help it run but very poorly. Where did that dll come from?

You've probably done this by now, but have you rebooted some time since installing?

totototo
11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I had the same problem with FleabagF7 too. I use windows 7 32bit with ati 2600xt vga. The demo runs fine, but the full version doesnt. It just dissappeared from the task manager after i launched it.
I tried to find a solution, like put opengl32.dll, run compatible mode, etc but failed. Then accidentally right click on the DC.exe file and choosed "boost with advanced system care" (its the software to maintain windows) and the full version work. I dont know why so i did a google on what exactly that option do to a program, and i found it just change the priority of the program to highest when it launch.
Im happy with my "accident" so i just want to share, hope you guys fix this bug because i was very frustrated when i cant run the full version.

Sorry for my english.

Coverchrg
09-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Downloaded full game from steam. Made a character but game won't load. Hourglass doesn't spin and eventually get a message saying exe stopped working. Changed to logfile 2 since log file was blank. Here's what I got:
Opened Speakers (SB Audigy) Device
Using 62 sound sources
Sound system initialized
Input initialized
Debug system started
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/banish.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/bloodrage.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/bloodsacrifice.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/charge.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/circleofpower.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/demoniccontrol.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/demonicroar.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/energyshield.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/firestrike.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/impale.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/inferno.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/possession.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/rampage.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/ravage.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/shieldblast.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/shieldsweep.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/spiritstrike.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/terrorize.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/unholystrike.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/wampirblood.mda
Couldn't find Models/Players/maleHuman/ward.mda

Tried running in window and drivers up to date.

Shadow
09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Coverchrg your problem is probably fixed with the update this morning.

Coverchrg
09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Game is at 1.026, patch is 1.024 or 1.025 for Beta. Don't see any patch options other than that on the website, or any patching options at all through Steam.

Shadow
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
1.026 was just a minor patch mostly for Steam purposes so I haven't posted it for everyone.

Steam should automatically update Din's Curse. I've seen it get stuck before though. Some things that might help if it's not updating: close and restart steam, delete local files on Din's Curse and install again, or choose the verify files option.