PDA

View Full Version : Talon bug(?): friendly to all monsters

yoyodelta
03-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I just finished a sector where I noticed a strange occurrence with Talon. While other races had 3-5 planets and 10-12 ships, Talon had > 50 planets and > 150 ships. Their expansion rate seemed completely out of control.

Then I noticed that no monsters ever attacked any Talon, no matter the race of the monster. As a side effect, it meant that killing monsters near a Talon planet yielded no reputation gain. It may have even lead to a reputation loss, because no matter what I did I could not keep up with the rate of reputation decay and was perpetually at war with them.

I'm not sure if this is intentional; I don't think it should be, except maybe just friendly to normal Talon monsters, not everything. The effect of having no monster enemies is the same as when all Shadow ships cloaked, so they never faced any threat from monsters and expanded unhindered.

Tyrax Lightning
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I too have noticed this. It can happen with the Talon & with the Overlord. I have yet to see the Legion be able to pull this off...

I can understand Talon-Class Ships not attacking the Talon, & I can understand the Overlord-Class Ships not attacking the Overlord... but no Monsters except Bosses attacking the Talon & Overlord seems kinda borked & does indeed give them cheater expansion powers...

radioonfire
03-30-2013, 07:20 PM
I can understand Talon-Class Ships not attacking the Talon, & I can understand the Overlord-Class Ships not attacking the Overlord... but no Monsters except Bosses attacking the Talon & Overlord seems kinda borked & does indeed give them cheater expansion powers...
I just played a sector where Overlord did this. The systems they controlled were nightmarish, since they never fought the monster enemies. They spread like crazy, but their tech level was so low that even though they controlled almost half the sector I was able to defeat them by forming an ad hoc coalition with the remaining races. It was a lot of fun, and I don't think it's a bug.
As for what it takes to befriend them, I have no idea. I think anything short of the massive bonuses of being war allies wouldn't cut it. They're pretty sullen/evil that way.

darksilver
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Doesn't seems like a bug to me, more like a feature, but hell yeah, it's quite OP in terms of growth rate and eventually makes diplomacy/legend victory very rare cuz it's always a good idea to destroy Overs or Talons ASAP.
The one and only sector i've lost was one owned by Overs - i've tried to make an alliance with them just as an experiment. They grew extremely fast, destroyed everyone and even with all my efforts i couldn't make relations more than 50 iirc. I know that i might pay them... but that's no fun at all.

Tyrax Lightning
03-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Doesn't seems like a bug to me, more like a feature, but hell yeah, it's quite OP in terms of growth rate and eventually makes diplomacy/legend victory very rare cuz it's always a good idea to destroy Overs or Talons ASAP.
The one and only sector i've lost was one owned by Overs - i've tried to make an alliance with them just as an experiment. They grew extremely fast, destroyed everyone and even with all my efforts i couldn't make relations more than 50 iirc. I know that i might pay them... but that's no fun at all.
I've managed to Alliance with the Overlord, Talon, & Legion before. About the only good way to do it is to try it when it's them, & a lot of other Races in the same Sector, & destroy Races they are at War with one by one. Once you're Allied with them, seems to be less annoying to keep the Relations up.

In short, about the only thing that'll make them like ya is if they see ya making their enemies burn... :p

yoyodelta
03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't remember this happening in any previous patches however. It may have been changed before 1.006, but I just noticed it since I've played more recently.

Previously I have never seen talon have more than a single planet in the game. Perhaps this was a change to help them survive with some friendly monsters, but I think it went too far. I've now played another sector where Talon sprang up, and once again they completely dominated everything with no way of being diplomatic, expanding at a rate faster than they could be destroyed.

Shadow
04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
The 3 monster subraces have always been ignored by the monsters.