PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding recruits

Kruztee
11-20-2007, 03:55 AM
I tend to use my recruits as meat shields quite a bit, and although I am careful not to let my own characters die too often (the exp penalty slows things down quite a bit!), my recruits die on me all the time.

Do recruits suffer the same penalties as a player character when they die? If so, perhaps I should be more careful with them. At the moment, it doesn't seem worth using food on them (exception being boss battles) since they respawn so quickly. The lifestone only takes a tiny hit when they are respawned and this seems to be the only penalty. Am I missing something?

:confused:

Shadow
11-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Currently only the player gets XP debt, so in that respect it is safe to let your recruits die. Personally I try to keep them alive just for the sake of keeping at least some of the monsters from attacking me.

Kruztee
11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Personally I try to keep them alive just for the sake of keeping at least some of the monsters from attacking me.

Hmm, by that do you mean that you are constantly feeding them using F1? That's the only way I can seem to keep mine alive more than a minute or so (unless I'm playing my priest). It seems such a waste of food, especially at low levels when money can be hard to come by.

Then again, nearly all of my higher level characters have more money and food stashed than they can seem to use. Perhaps I should be looking after my recruits better =)

More often than not, I just pop up a portal if I get in trouble after my recruit dies, but usually I can hold the fort until he/she respawns. It almost seems that they respawn too quickly. I wonder how many players would be in favour of penalising the player a little more for letting recruits die? And what do you think Shadow?

Shadow
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't constantly feed them food or potions, but in general I do try to keep my recruits alive. I'm not really upset or anything if they die though. This does depend on how much money I have though. If I am running low on funds, I'm more likely to let them die.

I'm not sure about making it longer for recruits to respawn. It would be a very easy change though.

deadraque
11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
I would suggest that the NPC only resurrects with you when back in covenant, or don't resurrect anymore if you die, as I start to use it a bit like a cheat on some bosses, When I die I let him fight, and die and res, and die and res, without clicking on go back to covenant, so my recruit is finishing the boss and I don't lose my xp thingy. I then even get the XP, or once he is so close to death, i resurrect and go back quickly to finish him off... makes it a bit easy... I did this on Criar Boss as i lived like 2 seconds...

Shadow
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, the recruits really shouldn't teleport back into the wild when you are dead. I might change that in the next patch.