PDA

View Full Version : Mac patcher fails when DC not in Applications folder

Colonel Blimp
09-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Din's Curse Mac Patch 1.006 reports success but actually fails if the Din's Curse folder is not at the top level of /Applications.

Details
--------

Din's Curse Patch 1.006 writes its files to "/Applications/Din's Curse" and reports success whether or not Din's Curse is installed there.

(This is all the more problematic since the Din's Curse disk image directs the user to "drag the folder on the right to your Applications folder or somewhere else on your hard drive" [emphasis added].)

Expected Behavior
---------------------

The Mac OS X Installer is capable of finding applications to update in locations other than /Applications, so writing patches to find Din's Curse seems preferable to forcing the user to install in the top level of /Applications.

Steps to Reproduce
----------------------

1. Install Din's Curse to (for example) /Applications/Games
2. Run Din's Curse Patch 1.006

System Configuration
------------------------

Mac OS X 10.5.8
Din's Curse Patch 1.006

Shadow
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
You are correct. I need to figure out how to get it to find where you installed it.

In the patch installer, you can tell it where you installed the game though.

Robin
09-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Please fix authentication for non-admin users, also. I normally use a non-admin account and authenticate when necessary. With Din's Curse, I've had to resort to giving myself admin privileges long enough to install patches, then remove the admin privileges.

Colonel Blimp
10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I see that the download page for the patch installer (now) has instructions noting that the user must choose the Din's Curse folder if it's not in /Applications.

This is an improvement, but far better still (pending making the installer find the Din's Curse folder automatically) would be to display that paragraph of the instructions in the installer itself as well.

(Mac users just aren't in the habit of reading separate installation instructions. We're used to installers just working. :) )

Din's Curse 1.009 Beta

Shadow
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
This is an improvement, but far better still (pending making the installer find the Din's Curse folder automatically) would be to display that paragraph of the instructions in the installer itself as well.

That wasn't a permanent solution, just a little help in the meantime.