PDA

View Full Version : The Town Is Under Attack (Or Is It?)

TheParthenon
09-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Playing tonight under the 1.007 version, I encountered an odd bug that nearly caused me to abandon a town (an upsetting prospect with a Hardcore/Honorable Death character). Just before turning in the last few quests I had finished, I was alerted to the unfortunate fact that the renegade Clyde (that bast!) was, apparently, attacking the town. I was deep in the dungeon, but had finished all the main quests so I popped my Teleport Stone and ran out to show this Clyde fella that I meant business. Only I couldn't find the sneaky prick. Neither, apparently, could the rest of the town, as they weren't doing the normal "face the invader" thing to which I've become so accustomed. Fearing my only option was to abandon the town (and, consequently, the character), I sought a solution on the forums.

Fortunately, I was able to dig up this (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2188) thread from the archives and figured out that Clyde, that miserable good-for-nothing was actually attacking my precious town from no less than five levels deep in the Torment Tomb. A quick gate to level five, a few judicious smacks from my Scree Scourge and all was right with the world once more.

Point being: Unless Clyde was attacking the fair town of Preska with some sort of long-range missile or an Aura of Ill Will, this does seem to be a bug.

And a pretty disconcerting one when the act of abandoning a town is essentially suicide.

(Completely unrelated to the bug report, I really enjoy the game and have been lurking the forums for quite some time. Any chance of seeing some of the mini-tournaments making a comeback? Never submitted any entries myself [can't quite find the time, usually, to play a character the weekend they're posted] but quite enjoyed downloading the characters and taking a crack at them.)

Shadow
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for pointing that out again. I have that on my list to fix, but for some reason it has slipped down the list pretty far. It's now back up at the top.