PDA

View Full Version : How do ya actually do the Modding in this game...?

Tyrax Lightning
04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm new to Modding, but have given it a try before... (Including in Terraria.) I need help figuring out how to even start going about Modding, including if I need any help from any External Programs... if possible, in a 'For Dummies' Format.

Or, if there's already Modding Documentation I dunno about, a point to it might help, taking into account that i've found & looked in the Din's Curse SDK, but couldn't think of any way it'll help me learn how to Mod.

Many thanks for your time... :o

Edit: P.S. The Modding Forums could use a Beginner's Tutorial on getting into Modding...

radioonfire
04-15-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm new to Modding, but have given it a try before... (Including in Terraria.) I need help figuring out how to even start going about Modding, including if I need any help from any External Programs... if possible, in a 'For Dummies' Format.

Or, if there's already Modding Documentation I dunno about, a point to it might help, taking into account that i've found & looked in the Din's Curse SDK, but couldn't think of any way it'll help me learn how to Mod.

Many thanks for your time... :o

Edit: P.S. The Modding Forums could use a Beginner's Tutorial on getting into Modding...
There doesn't seem to be much documentation at all. The best thing about the Din's Curse SDK is the documentation on menus. Here are a few tips I've found for getting started.

Create a folder someplace away from your program files and extract the asset files there for reference. These are the .zip files in the Assets directory of the DO program directory, and they contain everything you can mod.
Almost all of the files can be opened by a text editor (including .gdb, .eff, .mdl, .trn and some more), so get Notepad++ or a different decent text editor.
The way DO loads asset files (and mods; it can't tell the difference), is all of the zip files in alphabetical order then all the loose files (not in zip archives) in alphabetical order. If it runs into files with the same name, the newer file overrides the older file. In order to make sure your mod works, name it something that comes after assets003. Also, zipping up your separate mods makes good sense.
Use the same folder structure as the asset files use (e.g., .gdb files go in Database and .trn files go in Loc) or else DO won't load them.

There are more pointers scattered across the DO forum and Din's Curse forum, but if you have some specific questions (or a particular mod in mind) I can tell you what I've learned.

Tyrax Lightning
04-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Many thanks for the advice! :D

My first Mod I have in mind is making 2 new Fighters: a 1st Tier that will fire the EM Pulse (Or was it Burst...? Damn Memory...) Weapon instead of a Beam. I was thinking of calling it a "Pulse Wing". The 2nd Tier was gonna use the EM Pulse's evolved form weapon, the Lightning Cannon! I was thinking of calling it a "Storm Wing"! I was thinking of having one at a time until they looked like they worked well, then attempting to analyze how useful & cool they seem to be, then I could try to think about how to balance them, including if they would have a special something to them, (Ex: The Raiders's faster movement speed, or the Stealth Fighters's Extra Defense Stat Power.) & how many of them 1 Bay could produce & maintain at a time.

Thus far, I can't even figure out where the Data is for the various Fighters to examine how the Vanilla Fighters of all types were built, let alone figure out how to get started Coding the new ones... plus how do I make Ship Models & other such stuff for the new Fighters...? Can I even do so, or do I have to do some kinda band aid fix, like shrink & recolor an existing Ship...? I dunno how to get started on stuff like this...

Many thanks for your time. :)

Edit: Ok, got the weapon for the first ship looked up by examining my Utopian Alt who's still using it atm... it's the EM Burst after all... guess Pulse Wing won't fly even though the EM Burst Projectiles LOOK like focused & directed 'pulses' of EM Waves... contrary to the EMP which throws the EM Waves in a point blank area of effect (PBAOE) around the Ship... :p

radioonfire
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Modding fighters is a great idea. Here are the pieces I would start with:

BaseWeaponFighter (Database/Items/WeaponFighters.gdb)
BaseSkillFighter (Database/Skills.gdb)
MonsterDroxFighter1 (Database/Monsters/MonsterTypes.gdb)
ArchetypeDroxFighter (Database/Monsters/MonsterArchetypes.gdb)
BaseSkillDroxFighterBeam (Database/Monsters/MonsterSkills.gdb)
SkillWeaponEm1 plus the lightning skills (Database/Skills.gdb)

Each of these has some associated objects, so you should grab those too. I'll post some more in a while, but for now I would copy each of these things from assets003 and create a new folder with files containing your copies.

radioonfire
04-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Edit: Ok, got the weapon for the first ship looked up by examining my Utopian Alt who's still using it atm... it's the EM Burst after all... guess Pulse Wing won't fly even though the EM Burst Projectiles LOOK like focused & directed 'pulses' of EM Waves... contrary to the EMP which throws the EM Waves in a point blank area of effect (PBAOE) around the Ship... :p

I noticed the edit after I posted the first time. Ignore the EM skill I pointed out, as I don't think it's the one you need. I assume the naming is due to the fact that the low level radial damage weapon is referred to as an EMP, where the P literally stands for "pulse."

radioonfire
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I went ahead and created a sample mod based on what you were talking about. This only creates the fighters with EM Burst weapons and not the Lightning Cannon. I'll describe a little of what I did to make this work so that this is a helpful tutorial and you can change it to suit your needs.

I created an override of WeaponFighter3 components. This means that when the game goes looking for bomber bays, it finds our new components instead. They are exactly like bomber bays except they have different title, description, and skill. File: /Database/ModEMFighters_Components.gdb
I created a translation file that just has the name and description of the components as well as the name of the ships so that they can be referenced. File: /Loc/English/ModEMFighters_items.trn
I created a new skill (with the name matching what our component is looking for). This skill is just like all the normal Fighter Bay skills except that it summons a new kind of ship we're creating. File: /Database/ModEMFighters_Skills.gdb
I created a new ship type (with the name matching what the skill is summoning). I just duplicated the Interceptor ship except that I changed the archetype to a new one we're creating and changed its skill to a new one we're creating. File: /Database/ModEMFighters_Types.gdb
I created a new ship archetype (same name the new ship type is looking for). This is exactly like the Fighter archetype for now, but we can adjust the stats or attack/defense modifiers later if desired. File: /Database/ModEMFighters_Archetypes.gdb
I created a new monster skill (matching what our new ship type is using). This is a modified version of EM Burst. Normal EM Burst weapons do the same damage as beams, but they cool down 33% slower and have only 75% the range. I adjusted the stats to reflect the same relation to Fighters' default beams (they're a little slower and shorter range than player weapons). File: /Database/ModEMFighters_MonsterSkills.gdb

Hopefully most of that makes sense, but feel free to ask questions. Let me know how it works for you. It was interesting to try out the new Pulse Wings (I liked your name even though they aren't technically using pulse weapons); it felt balanced, and the fighters were able to maneuver and use their weapons as well as they use the normal beams.

Tyrax Lightning
04-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Many thanks for all the help thus far! ^_^ I've DLed the Beta Version of the Mod & will see what I can learn from it, & try to think of ideas on what I could possibly do with these new Fighters... :D

Note: The EM Burst & the Lightning Cannon Debuff Attack & Defense on hit as well. Fighters using this weapon will synergize with themselves & optionally, you yourself if you are also using Hit Roll Weapons as well. Frankly, I think the EM Burst & the Lightning Cannon are more awesome then the Beam Family Weapons thus far... what the hell good is the longer range on the Beams when the long range beams shots can't punch holes through wet paper bags...? XD Imho, 19 Units of Range is respectable enough. :)

Now... if that Microwave AOE Weapon got done too so Computer Specs had some actual USEABLE AOE Damage... I just feel sorry for my Utopian that he'll likely permanently need +Tactical Crew Member help... i'm experimenting on him going to have max Command & Computers. XD

Anyway, i've gotta check out these Beta Fighters... My Main needs something going for him again... he feels broken gimp after all that's happened to Bombs recently... he doesn't feel powerful anymore... :'(

Edit: Oh, almost forgot to mention: Lightning/Electricity's my fav Element to beat stuff up with in Videogames. ^_^

radioonfire
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Hopefully it works well. The Pulse Wing bay will max out around level 60, though, so I doubt it will be awesome in its current form for end game ships. I might take a look at the lightning cannons as well in a while.

Tyrax Lightning
04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
I've managed to coax a Pulse Wing Bay to drop for my Fringe Alt, Raiden! (He's lvl 66 as of the time of this Post.) They seem to be working! :D I can find no discernible bugs or faults thus far! ^_^

Edit: Oops, almost forgot... many thanks to the Talon for their 'generous' contribution of a Pulse Wing Bay after Raiden's Geomagnetic Storm weapon 'negotiated' with about 40+ of their Ships & 10 of their Planets! XD

radioonfire
04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I finally got the texture to load correctly, so now there is a small but visible difference between interceptors and pulse wings (blue trim with yellow portholes).

I also added the second tier bay equipped with lightning cannons. For now I've named them Lightning Tyraxes for obvious reasons. They are a shiny gold color and have a boost to their EM resistance. They replace the heavy raiders, so they will go all the way up to level 100.

With the new textures, it's too big to attach to the forum, so grab it from my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqkjrh8khkjwoy6/ModEMFighters.zip

Tyrax Lightning
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I finally got the texture to load correctly, so now there is a small but visible difference between interceptors and pulse wings (blue trim with yellow portholes).

I also added the second tier bay equipped with lightning cannons. For now I've named them Lightning Tyraxes for obvious reasons. They are a shiny gold color and have a boost to their EM resistance. They replace the heavy raiders, so they will go all the way up to level 100.

With the new textures, it's too big to attach to the forum, so grab it from my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqkjrh8khkjwoy6/ModEMFighters.zip
Got it nabbed! I'll give them a test drive when I get the time! & i'm honored by the choice of Name. ^_^