PDA

View Full Version : Stop pets attacking lifestones etc.

Colonel Blimp
09-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Pets should recognize that healthstones, manastones, and lifestones are not the enemy.

Details
--------

This may be more of a change request than a functional bug, but pets shouldn't be quite so chowderheaded as to think you really wanted that lifestone destroyed, even if you did accidentally AoE or even shadow bolt it.

More than once I've been fighting for my life against a swarm of monsters while my pet doggedly attacks the nearby lifestone, imagining in his tiny brain that he's somehow being helpful. :p

Desired Behavior
-------------------

Pets should know better than to attack healthstones, manastones, or lifestones, even if the player accidentally does so.

Version
---------

Din's Curse 1.007

Shadow
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
They shouldn't attack things just because of some area damage. They will attack if you attack something directly though.

Colonel Blimp
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
They shouldn't attack things just because of some area damage.

Well they do, if (and only if, it seems) you have a stone targeted when you cast the AoE spell.

To reproduce:

1. Summon or raise a pet.
2. Click on a healthstone.
3. While the healthstone is still targeted, cast Curse of Pain or Disease.

(This isn't an uncommon scenario, either. I'm low on health or mana, run over to a stone and click on it, nearby montsters see me and attack, so I immediately cast Curse of Pain.)

They will attack if you attack something directly though.

Hence my change request: if I'm spamming Shadow Bolt at a tangle of monsters and accidentally hit a lifestone, I can notice and stop attacking it. The problem is that I can't order my pet to stop attacking it.

(If I could order my pet to stop attacking something, that would seem the ideal solution. Having to manage pets would add complexity to playing a conjurer, but then I enjoy a certain amount of complexity when it rewards skillful play.)

I thought it might be simpler to program pets not to attack stones than to add actual combat control for pets (assuming, of course, that pets could easily be made to distinguish between stones, which the player almost never wants to damage, and objects like doors, which the player often wants a pet to bash down - but perhaps that's not a trivial change).

sbach2o
09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Note, that there are sometimes good reasons to destroy a health stone or similar structure, namely when it is blocking a corridor you need to traverse. Although it isn't necessary for any summons to help in tearing such an obstacle down, it only makes sense in game-terms for them to do so. And I am glad that they help with lock or stuck doors.

That being said, I am sometimes pulling my hair over this, too. I don't see it as a bug at all, though. It is one of the down-sides of playing a summoner for me that I need to be extra careful about targeting my attacks and debuffs. In the end I am just living with the inevitable losses.

Colonel Blimp
10-16-2010, 01:42 AM
From v1.008 change notes:

> pets no longer attack some objects even if player does

Confirmed in 1.009 Beta.

Thanks! :)