PDA

View Full Version : Reboot

Roswitha
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I had Din's Curse in the background, as I frequently do. I pulled it up, played for about 5 seconds, and my computer rebooted. Huh?
Pull it up, make sure nothing else is running. 5 seconds. Reboot.
Pull it up, pick a different character. 5 seconds. Reboot.
Start a new town. Ditto.
Uninstall. Reinstall. Patch. Ditto.
No new hardware or software.
Check RAM. Check hard drive. No problems.
Check log file. Empty.
Try again. Reboot.

Any suggestions?

Shadow
09-13-2010, 01:44 PM
These days reboots are usually driver, OS, or hardware related. First thing to try is to update your drivers.

sbach2o
09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
You could get some more information about the cause by configuring your system to not reboot automatically on a specific kind of system failure (the dreaded bluescreen, usually).

This is done via "Control Panel" / "System" / "Advanced" / "Startup & Recovery Settings". Untick the "Restart on System Failure" option. Next time your computer crashes, you'll likely see the bluescreen and whatever information that provides. Some experienced trouble shooters may get an idea about the module it crashed in, but don't expect too much.

This kind of crash generally can't be produced by mere application bugs. It usually takes a bad driver, sometimes damaged hardware.

It is *very* strange and disconcerting for such problems appearing out of the blue. Hopefully this isn't an indication of hardware failing on you, as these failures are difficult to single out and fix. Anything else rebooting your computer?

There are some rare cases of driver or os-corruption during normal operation. Maybe these cases are not so rare when computer viruses come into play. Tried out some new application software recently? Browsed the internet with not so well-updated web-browser, java runtime, pdf viewer? Looked into the attachment of some spam-mail? These apps are typical for letting in malicous code.

Edit: instead of re-installing only Din's Curse, try reinstalling or repairing as much of the rest of your system as possible:
resinstall graphics, mainboard, sound drivers. Try a repair install of windows, then re-apply service packs and patches.

Roswitha
09-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got some time to look at this.

The Reboot on System Failure option was already unticked. :( Things have gotten slightly worse: it reboots before I hit the splash screen. I haven't found anything else that causes a reboot.

I used Windows update to try to update the sound and video drivers. It said I had the latest version, and there was no other version saved, so I couldn't rollback. I tried to update a number of other things with the same result.

We have a firewall and a virus checker, so I doubt that's a problem.

How do I reinstall drivers?

sbach2o
09-16-2010, 06:05 AM
I used Windows update to try to update the sound and video drivers. It said I had the latest version, and there was no other version saved, so I couldn't rollback. I tried to update a number of other things with the same result.

If you try to update your system via Windows Update, you'll get the latest version of the drivers Microsoft has available. It really depends on your hardware whether these are adequate or not. Regarding graphics drivers, for older integrated video cards they may be fine.

With discrete graphics cards it is a good idea to get the current drivers from the manufacturer of the board (should be NVidia or ATI, depending on what model you are using). Current sound drivers can usually be retrieved from the manufacturer of the mainboard (or computer) for integrated sound cards (the norm these days).

In many cases the computer manufacturer offers nice driver upgrade packages for several years. This is typically the case of the big players in the market like Dell or HP.

How do I reinstall drivers?

In short: Uninstall first (if drivers do not appear in Control Panel, try from Device Manager), reboot, then install the driver package anew. You select the graphics card (under Display Adapters), or the mainboard device (under Computer) and see what options are available, there may only be 'update', anyway, depending on what drivers are installed.

The geek guides usually suggest to be more thorough when uninstalling graphics drivers, suggesting to delete certain sections from the registry, checking certain system directories and removing certain files manually and such... This is pretty dangerous and should be left to people with experience in these matters.

sbach2o
09-16-2010, 06:21 AM
The Reboot on System Failure option was already unticked. :( Things have gotten slightly worse: it reboots before I hit the splash screen. I haven't found anything else that causes a reboot.

Hmm...

Maybe you have issues when your system gets under load, some instability due to a failing power supply? Do you have any other graphics intensive games to try out? What kind of Windows OS and graphics card do you have?

Din's Curse is comparatively unassuming. It shouldn't be hard to get some game Demo putting the same level of load or more on your system. You could check out stuff like 'Sacred 2' or 'King's Bounty'. The problem is that these games stress a computer similarly to DC in more ways than just system load.

You could try some system benchmarks like FurMark or Sysmark/3DMark (these latter two offer stripped down free versions, if I remember correctly).

Roswitha
09-25-2010, 01:02 AM
After getting a new hard drive, installing Windows and drivers and Din's Curse, it still rebooted.

We finally narrowed down the problem to a bad onboard video chip. Got a new video card and I'm finally playing again. :D

Thanks for all of the suggestions. :)

Shadow
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Glad you got things working again. Thanks for all of the help sbach2o.