PDA

View Full Version : Mod Idea: Gifted Chosen Ones with hard lives...?

Tyrax Lightning
04-24-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm a lover of Drox Operative, so i've gotten curious about Din's Curse. I've done some reading up on Din's Curse & screwed around with the Demo a bit & worry about how any Character is ever supposed to have enough Stat & Skill Points to survive in the game past the beginning... especially late game. (I've read about Vanilla Late Game experiencing "Glass Cannon Syndrome" for example... has ANYONE ever gotten a Vanilla Hardcore Character to Lvl 100 at all...?) Warriors in particular... how the hell ya supposed to be a good Tank with only starting with 5 Str & Dex...? O_0 (In the full game, can ya choose a different starting Allocation of Stat Points from 16 Vit 16 Int 5 everything else...?) Plus, how are ya ever supposed to be strong when some kinds of Characters might not ever even be able to max out even 3 Skills in a SINGLE Class, let alone how being a Hybrid is ever supposed to work...? :confused:

Anyway, I thought of an interesting idea for a Mod for this game, though I dunno yet what to call it. (Current Idea: "Iron Woobie (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IronWoobie) Mode" :D) this Mod would let you make a Character that will grow with 6 Stat Points per Level Up & get 1 Skill Point per Level Up more than Vanilla, but in exchange, this Mode cannot be selected & put onto a Character unless one of 2 Criteria is met as well:
The Character is also a Hardcore Character.
The Character has any 2 Negative Modifiers other than Hardcore selected. (Examples: Semi-Hardcore + Honorable Death, Hunger + Poverty.)How does this sound for a Mod Idea? We don't all get to be badasses... people like me can only wonder what it's like to be a gaming badass... On the up-side, playing with this Mod on might be fun & interesting even to those of ya who do have badass skills... :cool:

Many thanks for your time. :)

Edit: Oops, meant to mention the first time... ya can use this Mode + more than 2 Negative Modifiers too if ya wish... could make for some epic YouTubeing...

joku
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Adding the stat and skill points is easy. Turning that into a character modifier that is dependent on having other character modifiers selected? I did some looking and I don't think it can be done. I could be mistaken, but it seems that character modifiers are hardcoded (except for the score multiplier). If this is the case, then you can't add a character modifier through normal modding.

There does appear to be precedent for having a character modifier dependent on something else (e.g. hardcore), but again, it appears to be hardcoded.

I do like the idea, but it just doesn't seem to be possible from a modding perspective. So you would be left with two options: convince Steven to add this option in a new update, or use a mod that adds the stat and skill points but disable it whenever you aren't playing a character that satisfies your conditions.

Tyrax Lightning
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Ahh, many thanks for the response. I guess ticking 2 Negative Modifiers manually with the Mod Installed wouldn't really be hard, it'll just require player honesty. :)

Still pondering on this game & if it's worth getting if one already has Drox Operative... (Plus i'm prioritizing getting the Starbound Pre-Order, but after that...) but i'm currently leaning toward getting this game & the expansion... even if it'll take quite awhile... still, can't start planning Characters too soon...

To tell ya the truth, I listed the Hunger + Poverty combo as an example, cause with this Mod Installed, I pondered doin those 2 Negative Modifiers while trying out a Hybrid Thief/Hunter. The Hunger danger makes the Hunters Cooking Skill look attractive, while the Poverty danger makes the Thiefs extra gold finding skill look attractive... :D