PDA

View Full Version : Something is broken with Shadow (the race)

sbach2o
05-14-2013, 05:06 AM
As the title says, whenever the race Shadow is in a sector, they will either perish quickly or become a completely unstoppable force after a while. When the latter happens, the game becomes completely predictable and boring, so I think, until the underlying bug or glitch is fixed, I'll always try to make sure it is going to be the former in future.

There seems to be a problem in the handling of the races' economies underlying the issue, although I am by no means sure. In my latest game with Shadow, I could observe how they leaped in the power comparison graph from being half as powerful as the leading race to being twice their strengh in the blink of an eye. The main factor in that jump was the availability of resources according to the power comparison breakdown. There was no meaningful colonization activity in the time and the (former) strongest empire still owned twice as many colonies.

After that jump in power the game was practically decided. With their resource advantage, Shadow could churn out combat and colonization ships faster than anyone (including me) could stomp them out. And their technology level started to rise like crazy, giving them an ever increasing advantage, despite being at war with two other (formerly) major powers and me.

Everytime I had this happen, Shadow made a couple dozen levels in the time it took any other race to achieve one (if they survived that long), for example in a level ~16 game, Shadow was level 38 at the end. This looks like another clear indicator that there must be a bug involved. It is also exploitable. Imagine the shopping spree I could go on after the sector was won (military victory in that instance, of course).

DornoDiosMio
05-14-2013, 10:00 PM
I just experienced the same problem as described above. Also relatively early in the game as I am level 15ish right now.

The Shadow seem to steal every technology under the sun as well. So their tech level is higher and their resources are massive. On the 'power comparisons' graph in the game theirs just shoots up incredibly all of a sudden.

I've been blowing up their planets left and right, yet they can still colonize them more quickly than I can destroy them. So sadly, it seems as if I'll have to abandon the sector.

This is on that level 6 'challenge' mission where you have like 10 races in the same sector. I think I was maybe level 8 when I started it.

Malerio
05-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Just had this happen again. Clearly something is wrong here. In those two images you can see that I destroyed one or two Planets of Shadow(first image) but at the same time their resources graph shoots up(second image).
You can also see how Utopian has double the colonies.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7892/planetsb.jpghttp://img802.imageshack.us/img802/5928/resourcesc.jpg

Tyrax Lightning
05-15-2013, 02:37 PM
I just experienced the same problem as described above. Also relatively early in the game as I am level 15ish right now.

The Shadow seem to steal every technology under the sun as well. So their tech level is higher and their resources are massive. On the 'power comparisons' graph in the game theirs just shoots up incredibly all of a sudden.

I've been blowing up their planets left and right, yet they can still colonize them more quickly than I can destroy them. So sadly, it seems as if I'll have to abandon the sector.

This is on that level 6 'challenge' mission where you have like 10 races in the same sector. I think I was maybe level 8 when I started it.
All is not lost... when this kinda thing happens, keep blowing up planets & ships mercilessly without dying & you can go for a Fear Win! :cool:

DornoDiosMio
05-15-2013, 06:44 PM
All is not lost... when this kinda thing happens, keep blowing up planets & ships mercilessly without dying & you can go for a Fear Win! :cool:

Thx, I just had that happen not long after my initial post. I didn't realize how quickly Fear would shoot up as I blew up their many planets. The trick for me was to attack their newly colonized planets, as those were much easier to blow up and not as well defended.

I'm playing a randomly generated sector now and I'm approximately level 18 and Shadow is the weakling here so far. So I'll keep an eye on them in case anything crazy happens.

Bluddy
05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I also seem to be encountering this same issue. I blow up their planets at a ridiculous rate but they just keep multiplying, and there's no way I can keep them down.