PDA

View Full Version : Monsters leaving me for dead.

Etto
10-05-2010, 10:17 PM
First off I'd just like to say that this game has been a blast, I've made it into the second difficulty (30+) and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon!

On topically, I am a hybrid healer/necromancer and I have points into "Raise Dead" up to where I can revive up to three mobs as my posse. This worked great, until recently.

My monsters will randomly just not fight, they instead walk slowly away from the enemies, chuckling as I'm eaten alive. In all seriousness, I've seen it happen after a Chaos Lord stomps the ground, stunning everything with the earthquake effect. This seems to break their AI and they just run away from all enemies, they don't attack whatsoever.

I'm not certain that is the cause, but it's my best theory. They usually fix after a random amount of time or a couple floors later. Any Suggestions?

Shadow
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
That's strange. I'll look at it. When that happens you can probably raise new dead that are working normally to replace the old ones.

Bak
10-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Does "fear" work on pets and raised dead, like it does on some of the beasties? (I'm assuming that is what is going on, when a naga starts to move away after a particularly brutal barbed arrow.)

Shadow
10-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Chaos Lords do cause fear so that might be what is going on.

Etto
10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Raising new pets doesn't fix it, they new mob still just runs away. It's very strange, if I recruit a Chaos Lord they don't seem to be bothered by it so that may support your Fear theory. I haven't tested in depth if my friendly Chaos Lord breaks my other creatures yet.

If that is so however, why does the fear last a random amount of time and not show a debuff or the like? The past 4 or 5 towns haven't included Chaos Lords and it hasn't happened, so I'm pretty sure it's atleast isolated to them or their skillset.

Thank you for your assistance in this! It's not gamebreaking, just awkward. I usually play with others so they protect my squishy priest to a degree if it happens, heh.

Shadow
10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
If that is so however, why does the fear last a random amount of time and not show a debuff or the like? The past 4 or 5 towns haven't included Chaos Lords and it hasn't happened, so I'm pretty sure it's atleast isolated to them or their skillset.

Assuming it is fear I do need to add some kind of debuff that you can see so we know exactly what is going on.

Etto
10-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Sounds good! I'll post back findings, if it is indeed fear, when a debuff is created. Will the changes be applied for version 1.008 or saved for a later iteration? Really isn't much of a bother so you don't need to necessarily prioritize it.

In addition, I believe the fear effect happened again with some iteration of Undead Mage. My group ran from him, similar to my problem, but they returned to normal immediately upon his death. I say "believe" because it was a tight hallway and they may have just been trying to find alternate paths or whatnot.

Shadow
10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
In 1.008 (which the beta is out for) they will show a debuff when they have fear.

Colonel Blimp
10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Several times now I've seen one or both of my raised monsters refuse to fight, although they don't run away, they just sit there filing their claws or contemplating the meaning of undeath.

Sometimes one will fight and the other won't, sometimes neither will fight. Teleporting to town and back doesn't change their disposition (or at least not as far as I've noticed).

(Changing their stance from aggressive to defensive and back, or vice versa, seemed to get them to fight on at least one occasion, although I seem to remember it not working other times I tried it. I'm not certain about this, and I'll update this thread if I can confirm it.)

This has happened a few times in my current dungeon, which has no chaos lords.

This is in Dinís Curse 1.007. I can't remember whether this happened in 1.006.

Etto
10-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I have indeed seen the Fear debuff multiple times and they follow the behavior that raised this thread, so I'm quite sure that it was fear. The debuff appears and states it has a duration of 2 seconds, resetting at about 0.5 seconds back to 2 seconds to keep them in the status if the cause of the fear is still there.

The thing that puzzles me is it's so sporadic in how it happens, sometimes my monsters get the fear status when I spring traps and (to my knowledge) there are no monsters around. It also seems to happen around a lot more mobs than I originally thought, including Undead Warlocks and Fire Elementals, but the status goes away after they die.

I was curious, if my monsters are a lower level than the mobs on a certain floor, are they more likely to be in fear?

In addition, I recruited an Urchin and his behavior seemed to center around being in fear status. My guess was it was just his nature since he looked like a pansy anyway.

I haven't gotten a chance to test Chaos Warlords since I haven't encountered any, but I will be sure to post my findings when I do.

Shadow
10-08-2010, 06:36 PM
The debuff appears and states it has a duration of 2 seconds, resetting at about 0.5 seconds back to 2 seconds to keep them in the status if the cause of the fear is still there.

The thing that puzzles me is it's so sporadic in how it happens, sometimes my monsters get the fear status when I spring traps and (to my knowledge) there are no monsters around.

In addition, I recruited an Urchin and his behavior seemed to center around being in fear status. My guess was it was just his nature since he looked like a pansy anyway.

The time on the debuff doesn't mean much in this case. The debuff itself lasts that long, but when it runs out if the monster still has low morale it will get a new debuff.

Monsters do get fearful sometimes when they take damage when they aren't in combat, so in theory they will move out of the way of things that are hurting them.

Urchins and other types of Imps are pretty much pansies. They hit you, get scared, and run away for a while.

Bak
10-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Monsters do get fearful sometimes when they take damage when they aren't in combat, so in theory they will move out of the way of things that are hurting them.

Well, you just deflated my theory that my hunter was inspiring so much "fear" (with his long-range arrows) because he was a bad-ass. :p

Etto
10-08-2010, 08:17 PM
The way this is turning out, I have a feeling that since the dungeon was so packed with Chaos Lords and traps, my monsters were just in a constant state of fear and I took it as a bug because I didn't know what was occurring.

I appreciate the debuff symbol now so I can tell when it's happening and plan accordingly. Thanks for looking into it and keep up the great patch work!

Shadow
10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Well even if there wasn't a bug, the fear icon does give everyone better feedback which is nice.

Etto
11-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Now with the fear debuff being shown I think I've identified what was troubling me exactly.

Whenever I encountered Chaos Minions (Lords, Warriors, etc...) My creatures would always scurry indefinitely from them and all enemies, because they were inflicted with the fear status. I believe I narrowed it down to the roar that the Chaos family does before initiating combat, this was when the fear debuff appeared.

Since this particular floor was filled with Chaos brethren, I decided I wouldn't get far unless I recruited them, since they didn't seem to be effected by the fear status. But as I made it to the next floor which was clear of Chaos, the fear status remained intact on my other pets, they seemed to remain in fear indefinitely.

I believe my, now recruited, Chaos posse was emitting these roars and it was effecting my other creatures, making them virtually useless.

Unless there is some disband method to get rid of pets that I'm not aware of, it was somewhat difficult to get rid of that constantly-feared elite Gargantuan!