PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary bug Mac?

Amberjoy
10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Ever since I first got the game I've noticed that the 'page turn arrows' don't turn to the next page. I've not tried to get too high a level so it didn't matter as most showed up on page one. However, I'm meeting up with blots, Dark Elf Mages and some other baddies that I can't look up because the arrow keys don't work. Not when I click on them, hold alt, shift or whatever down. Bug? Or am I doing something wrong??

Roswitha
10-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Ever since I first got the game I've noticed that the 'page turn arrows' don't turn to the next page. I've not tried to get too high a level so it didn't matter as most showed up on page one. However, I'm meeting up with blots, Dark Elf Mages and some other baddies that I can't look up because the arrow keys don't work. Not when I click on them, hold alt, shift or whatever down. Bug? Or am I doing something wrong??

Those aren't page turn arrows. :) They're to make your character rotate one way or another.

I still think the Bestiary would be more useful if it were alphabetized. That way you could look in the Bs for blots, and not have to scan every single entry until you get to it.

Amberjoy
10-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Those aren't page turn arrows. :) They're to make your character rotate one way or another.

The page turn arrows don't rotate character one way or the other. I still have some blank spaces to be filled on the first page of beasts/bad guys but I faguely remember in the beta you could check the other pages by hitting those arrow keys.

It would be nice if someone listed the various enemy in a listing like, all the various orcs, dark elves, and what's a concealer? I just got that one but can't see it on my Bestiary page.

I still think the Bestiary would be more useful if it were alphabetized. That way you could look in the Bs for blots, and not have to scan every single entry until you get to it.

Humm, not a bad idea there.

Finally got currant character to Freedom and 20th level using slow method. Phew! Getting rough there for a while! :)

Roswitha
10-21-2010, 02:23 AM
The page turn arrows don't rotate character one way or the other. I still have some blank spaces to be filled on the first page of beasts/bad guys but I faguely remember in the beta you could check the other pages by hitting those arrow keys.

It would be nice if someone listed the various enemy in a listing like, all the various orcs, dark elves, and what's a concealer? I just got that one but can't see it on my Bestiary page.

Finally got currant character to Freedom and 20th level using slow method. Phew! Getting rough there for a while! :)

Congrats!

A concealer is another version of the blot. (I was driving down the highway once and saw a big oil patch on the concrete. My immediate thought was "Oh no, a blot!")

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing on the Bestiary page. I'm using Windows (v 1.009) but I think Shadow uses the same code base so they should be fairly similar.

When I pull up the Bestiary, there are big blocks of ?s on the top left and top right parts of the page. The bottom half of the page is a text description of the creature and the number of kills and such. Between the two blocks of ?s is a big image of whatever it is that you have selected. To the left and right of the big image are a couple of arrows; those are the arrows I'm referring to. If you click on one, the big image will rotate a few degrees in that direction. I noticed that if I pushed the left or right arrow key, it did the same thing, and if I held one of them down the image would keep turning.

Is there another set of arrows that I'm overlooking?

Amberjoy
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Congrats!

A concealer is another version of the blot. (I was driving down the highway once and saw a big oil patch on the concrete. My immediate thought was "Oh no, a blot!")

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing on the Bestiary page. I'm using Windows (v 1.009) but I think Shadow uses the same code base so they should be fairly similar.

When I pull up the Bestiary, there are big blocks of ?s on the top left and top right parts of the page. The bottom half of the page is a text description of the creature and the number of kills and such. Between the two blocks of ?s is a big image of whatever it is that you have selected. To the left and right of the big image are a couple of arrows; those are the arrows I'm referring to. If you click on one, the big image will rotate a few degrees in that direction. I noticed that if I pushed the left or right arrow key, it did the same thing, and if I held one of them down the image would keep turning.

Is there another set of arrows that I'm overlooking?

Those are the arrows I was speaking of. Clicking on them with mouse or using keyboard does nothing and has done nothing every since I started the game way back when. :( The blocks of '?'s' page is the page I ment, yes.

I thought that whole page of '?' had to be filled before page would turn but you say it works on PC, so I guess mine is bugged. Sigh.

LoL for oil patch humor! :D

Shadow
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Hmm, that's kind of strange. Everything seems to work fine on my Mac.

Even if you hold down the left or right arrow keys, the selected monster doesn't spin around?

Can you click on the different icons to change to different monsters?

Amberjoy
10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Hmm, that's kind of strange. Everything seems to work fine on my Mac.

Even if you hold down the left or right arrow keys, the selected monster doesn't spin around?

Can you click on the different icons to change to different monsters?

Click on the monster icons and get the write up on them. Sit and watch screen and whatever is on the screen will move around in a circle or click claw or whtever without me doing anything. Click on the arrows on screen or keyboard (as I said) nothing happens. Have just one screen to look at with squares and monsters or '?' If there are other pages with monster squares I can't get to them. My current screen has only 8 squares empty left. This is what got me to thinking about monsters that I've run up against but can't read about and that was the way it was. For a while I thought they were varients of those I had on screen to look at. Shrug.

Do I have to have all squares 'discovered' before page will turn? Humm..just thought of something. Maybe I clicked on something in prefs...okay, just checked and there isn't anything in prefs that might be doing it. If you want a copy of character, what should I zip and send and where?

Bak
10-22-2010, 11:44 AM
On my setup (3-yr old MacBook Pro, C2Duo, 1.009 beta patch), the arrow keys are rotating the monsters, like Shadow mentioned. Clicking the on screen buttons, and using keyboard arrow keys.

You talk about "...before page will turn". It looks like there is only the one page, with the arrow keys purely to rotate the monster doll (to get side and back views).

Shadow
10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
So the model being show just spins in circles when you don't do anything? It almost sounds like one of your arrow keys is broken.

Amberjoy
10-22-2010, 07:14 PM
So the model being show just spins in circles when you don't do anything? It almost sounds like one of your arrow keys is broken.

Nope. Just checked by loading up Avernum2 and arrow keys worked there. If it makes any difference the load up screen where you see a character and a monster along with buttons to click that say "Play", "Resume", etc. those figures also move around by them selves as I just sit there and watch the screen. (character trys to hit, monster stomps and grabs)

Shadow
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh, well they are supposed to play different animations. That part is intentional. I'm still not quite sure why your arrow keys don't work. Although like someone else pointed out there isn't another "page", all of the monster types are on that one screen in the bestiary.

Amberjoy
10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh, well they are supposed to play different animations. That part is intentional. I'm still not quite sure why your arrow keys don't work. Although like someone else pointed out there isn't another "page", all of the monster types are on that one screen in the bestiary.

OH! One page. Scratches head in puzzlement. I could have sworn in the beta version I first had that clicking on those arrows turned a page to a screen full of empty boxes and the usual 'unknown' '?' mark. I take that many of the creatures I'm finding are variants of the originals and aren't talked about? Oh well, I won't puzzle over it anymore. Thanks.

Shadow
10-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I take that many of the creatures I'm finding are variants of the originals and aren't talked about? Oh well, I won't puzzle over it anymore. Thanks.

Yeah, there are usually 5 variants for each monster type, but only the base monster type shows up in the bestiary. For example, the there is only 1 zombie in the bestiary but the variants are Zombie, Animated Corpse, Walking Dead, Ghoul, and Revenant.