PDA

View Full Version : LAN and stuff.

Cardinal Ape
08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
I recently got orders from the Drox high command to both start an alliance and a war between the same two races. I'm not sure if this is intended, seems kinda weird though.

There still is an issue with multiplayer over LAN. Someone else had reported this a while back. When a friend joins my game via direct connect over the internet there is no problem. However, if the same person comes to my house and tries to connect via LAN things get wonky. The load time is generally 5 to 10 times longer than normal for him. A majority of the time his ship will spawn in a random location in a system different than the starting one, sometimes he will spawn waaaay out beyond the edge of the map. When he does spawn in a system other than the starting one he does not start with any gates activated.

Also, if you examine another player's ship in multiplayer it does not show their race specific slots, instead it shows your own.

Shadow
08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
The 1st and 3rd issue should be fixed in 1.018.

I can't reproduce any LAN issues though. Is there anything interesting with your LAN setup? Any firewalls that might be causing issues?

Cardinal Ape
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
My setup is a cable box into an old Linksys router. We both run Windows 7 64 bit with the built in windows firewall, nothing extra.

The bad load doesn't usually happen when I start a sector from scratch. It mainly happens when we try to continue or if another person joins a sector that I have been playing for a bit.

Lyranaar
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
We, too, have the long loading times in Multiplayergames over LAN. Also no problems in a new Galaxy, the longer the play time in it is or the busier it has been, the bigger problems seem to be when joining. (We encounter this problem since early beta Drox and also in Din's Curse.)

At the moment it looks like this:
The server gets the client login message and sees the client in the list of connected players.
The client gets informed of joining the game (message window), then a burst of messages of recent events but the screen stays black and the game is paused (Text on screen). No menu is working at this time and there is no possibility of disconnecting. Then it can take minutes until it works, sometimes we stop waiting without result.On stopping the server the client gets informed of the lost connection and returns to main menu.
In Din we had the theory that exiting both games before trying again produced better results than trying again directly, but that might be just superstition. We do it anyway.

We checked yesterday the netstatistics and there seems to be kind of a pattern. While at a working game both incoming and outbound tick about at the same rate on connecting, when the problem occurs, the server seems only to send packets about every 3rd-5th "tick" the client does.

Only thing that comes to my mind is to try and reproduce this problem and perhaps capture it with a packetlogger like Ethereal or a similar solution. I haven't used this stuff for quite some while but perhaps comparing a healthy connect and a failing one could give insights to the origin of the problem.

Please give me a shout Shadow if I should try to do such logging.

Thanks for the fun game!

- Lyranaar

Shadow
08-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Please give me a shout Shadow if I should try to do such logging.

It would probably be useful.

Lyranaar
08-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Mail with 3 logs is sent to support. Hope it helps.

- Lyranaar