PDA

View Full Version : Marine usage: no xp when you take down a ship?

wrestless
08-09-2013, 09:28 AM
When using a marine in 1.017 to take down a ship, I'm not being awarded any XP. Is this a bug or as per design?

I'm really enjoying using a marine, but it is quite powerful so I can understand if the XP denial is intentional. As there is no minimum time limit between boardings and no range limit from what I can tell, I can use spacebar to pause the game and board all the ships on screen one after another. My marine kicks arse! :D

Shadow
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I'll have to look at the code, but I don't remember not allowing XP on purpose.

Tuidjy
08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I would think that being able to send the same marine to board more than one ship at the same time is a bug...

wrestless
08-10-2013, 06:11 AM
I would think that being able to send the same marine to board more than one ship at the same time is a bug...

If that's referring to my post, sorry if I gave the impression that you could do that. I meant that my marine can quickly take down a screenful of ships, not that he could take down more than one at a time. I can pause the game, board a ship, unpause, the ship goes down in less than a second, pause, board another ship, unpause, that ship goes down, etc. It's cheesy, but effective in tight spots, especially when compared to normal weapons that have reload times. Even more so when you have multiple marines. And you get more loot! :D

You also don't have to stick around - your marine returns to you as soon as the enemy ship is defeated. So you can perform ‘fly-in, board, fly-out’ manoeuvres, leaving the marine to take down the enemy ship offscreen whilst you wait out of harm's way.

Tuidjy
08-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I have not used a marine for two patches now. In v1.16 they did not scale properly, and while I enjoyed them on early levels, I stopped using them on higher ones. Now they appear to have been fixed, but my current ship has no marines.

wrestless
08-19-2013, 02:44 AM
In v1.16 they did not scale properly, and while I enjoyed them on early levels, I stopped using them on higher ones.
Yeah, I must admit that I don't have your expertise on crew levelling. I don't think I've had a marine level up yet. I don't know if that's because they don't level or I was too impatient.

Tuidjy
08-19-2013, 03:12 AM
In patch 1.016 they leveled just fine, but were falling behind in terms of damage. Shadow gave them a boost afterwards, but the ship that had the marine blew up, and I have not found one since.

Tuidjy
08-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I just found a marine... but it could not have happened on a worse ship: it's unlucky (fewer components), Fringe (no scavenger components) and a Command Zero challenger (few slots)

I still installed the marine, and have been playing with him for a while. One thing I can say, he is leveling just fine. Can't say much about his effectiveness, because as I said, the ship is not exactly the kind to get L337 L007.

Tuidjy
08-19-2013, 02:56 PM
OK, I'm done with marines for now.

- Their damage still does not come anywhere close to matching the damage from my normal weapons. Once I get a dangerous enemy down to less health that my regular weapons would obliterate with one hit, the marine still needs a long time to chew through it. Time during which I am supposed to let that enemy threaten me, while making damn sure that I do not accidentally kill it while trying to hit something else.
- The marine can't even overwhelm the regeneration of many enemies. Enemies that I can easily blow up with an alpha strike.
- Much too often, the marine boards the enemy, and fails to do any damage whatsoever for minutes at a time. I do not know whether the enemy crew is resisting the marine, whether I've done something wrong, or whether there is a bug. And yes, my marine portrait does show up on the enemy status bar.
- Unless your target is not being attacked by anyone but the marine, the marine takes damage, which costs a lot to heal for a high level marine. When there are Shadows around, the marine better stay home.

Now I'll admit that I did all of my boarding with a ship particularly unsuited for it. (Small, fragile, poor, unlucky, hardcore) But marines would not match my normal style of play, either.

As they are, marines need love.

wrestless
08-20-2013, 01:57 AM
(Small, fragile, poor, unlucky, hardcore)
Ouch! :eek:

What level were you at?
I probably play at a much lower standard than you do, so I may have a lower standard for what constitutes powerful or effective. But I was just wondering if it was also a difference of ship/marine level, as I think I've mainly used marines when my ship was around level 10-15. They did more damage for less energy cost than the beam or ballistic weapons I had at the time, and much more damage per second as there is no minimum time that must elapse between boardings.

Tuidjy
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Ouch! :eek:

What level were you at?

I used Squishy, you can see a snapshot here (www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62973&postcount=13):

And yes, you are correct that at low levels marines work really well. But at level 50, when a single weapon dishes out a thousand damage per second, the marines simply cannot handle Squishy's regular prey. And the point is to board the elite/veteran/named enemies for their loot, not the common laser fodder.

==========

Well, Squishy hit level 50, and it's time to level my marine again. Here's a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/dNdN0xe.jpg

Against the kind of targets my ship fights, the marine does 8 damage per attack. He seems to be getting one per second. My laser? A bit over 1,100. I think everyone can see the problem.

After leveling him to level 50, here's my rule ZERO for using marines: Marines are only really effective if you start and pause your game.

In the heat of combat, it's pretty much impossible to ensure that your marine attacks the target at the right time, and that you do not shoot him to pieces while he is boarding.

But, if you pause to make sure that you are sending him when the target is sufficiently hurt, and if you are careful to switch targets only while the game is paused, so that you do not shoot the one being boarded, and you stop using area weapons, and there are no race ships around, and the marine can overwhelm his target's regeneration, and if the target doesn't have a damage-over-time effect... Then marines are a good way to get loot, if not to actually fight a battle.

But I consider pausing (except for screenshots) a bit of an exploit, so... I will still level my marine, and use him while he is being leveled, without pausing. I'll keep posting about it.