PDA

View Full Version : [Balance] A couple of questions for Shadow

Tuidjy
08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
These are not bugs, just things that I have noticed, and which I feel are not necessarily the best in terms of making the game more enjoyable. So I am wondering whether the following are conscious decisions, or due to something else (oversight, legacy, bugs, etc...)

0. Quest experience does not help crew members level. At higher ship levels experience from kills scales much more slowly than quest experience. As a result, it becomes extremely hard to level your crew unless you stop turning quests in (which is the way I train my crew)

Are crew members considered too powerful to allow leveling at high ship levels?

1. While it is relatively easy to fly to a race planet and start a positive rumor, if you want to start a negative one, you have to go through the race relation screen.

Why is there a difference? Sure, the race relation screen checks that you are close enough to a planet, but if you are talking to a planet, you are close enough anyway.

2. If both the Drox and race A are at peace with race B, and race A strongly dislikes race B, race A may still require a solid bribe to go to war with race B. But if the player is already at war with race B, race A will go to war for free. This would make sense if the former case left the Drox at peace with race B, but the trade on the screen clearly shows that the Drox are declaring war on race B as well.

Why does race A need to be bribed to go to war together, but will join a war that the player is already fighting? If anything, race A may expect a higher payment in the second case.

3. Whenever Drakk are around, there are almost always members of the species looking for a new berth. Brunt and Human also seem to have a tiny bit of adventuring spirit, but all the other races have recruiting quests much less often. As a result, I end up dismissing 90% of my Drakk recruits, while I seldom if ever dismiss a Shadow or a Dryad. Utopians? I've had fewer Utopian crew members than I've had Apes and Overlords.

Is this deliberate? I can agree that Drakk are very adventurous, but the Fringe and the Brunt should be at least as willing to look for trouble.

4. Some components are only found at lower levels. At higher levels they seem to be replaced by somewhat similar types of components, but quite often the latter components are different enough that they cannot possibly fill the same niche. As a result, if my ship build includes a shockwave, I keep my Tactics under 65 and hang around sub-50 sectors until I find a good one.

Are shockwaves, energy leechers, etc... considered too powerful to be allowed to scale?

5. The Big Bang energy damage does not benefit from the Tactical damage bonus. As a result, it takes 2-3 slots filled with quantum capacitors to allow a big bang to match the single shot damage of some late game missiles and bombs. Add to that the fire rate difference between the two weapons, and the Big Bang looks rather bad.

Is this a balance issue? Or was the energy damage not scaled as an oversight.

6. Destroying monster race (Talon, Overlord, Legion) ships reduces the Legend rating and raises Fear. Destroying Ancient (Hezog, Zarlok, etc...) race ships does the opposite. This seems to imply that for some reason, the rather wimpy and not overly strange Zarlok are feared more than the much more dangerous and repulsive Overlord infestation.

Is this deliberate?

7. Active thrusters do not take the ship beyond the standard speed cap (200). They require energy to activate, provide nothing that standard engines and thrusters do not, and have only a 50% uptime.

Why don't they allow the player a higher maximum speed (300) like other temporary boosters? Their uptime should probably be reduced a bit, but they would at least have a purpose.

8. With the addition of the scavenger components, balance has shifted very, very strongly in favor of armor over shields. Lithosoid can increase the strength of armor, you can repair it through kills, it does not require power to function, and you can instantaneously fix it at a friendly planet. The only thing that shields have is the ability to recharge relatively quickly at an ancient recharge station.

Is there a planned component that will bring the balance back to armor vs shields? An energy weapon that only works on shields, but replenishes the user's shields by some percentage of the damage dealt, maybe?

PixelLord
08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
OMG! Now my scavenger armor replenishing components are going to be nerfed! <sigh> :(

wrestless
08-10-2013, 06:22 AM
1. While it is relatively easy to fly to a race planet and start a positive rumor, if you want to start a negative one, you have to go through the race relation screen.

Why is there a difference? Sure, the race relation screen checks that you are close enough to a planet, but if you are talking to a planet, you are close enough anyway.

I'm not seeing this. If I fly to a planet and click Rumor, I have three options for Positive Rumors (Quick, Planned & Well Crafted) and the same three options for Negative Rumors.

2. If both the Drox and race A are at peace with race B, and race A strongly dislikes race B, race A may still require a solid bribe to go to war with race B. But if the player is already at war with race B, race A will go to war for free. This would make sense if the former case left the Drox at peace with race B, but the trade on the screen clearly shows that the Drox are declaring war on race B as well.

Why does race A need to be bribed to go to war together, but will join a war that the player is already fighting? If anything, race A may expect a higher payment in the second case.
Doesn't it make sense that it will take more incentive to get someone to start a war than to get them to join an already existing conflict? I'd want more gold to throw the first punch than to join the scrum. ;)

Tuidjy
08-10-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not seeing this. If I fly to a planet and click Rumor, I have three options for Positive Rumors (Quick, Planned & Well Crafted) and the same three options for Negative Rumors.

Are you saying the that the bottom three options work for you? They have never worked for me. I mean, I do not get the rumor bar, and I do not get a success or failure message. It may be that my installation is messed up.

Can you please let me know?

Doesn't it make sense that it will take more incentive to get someone to start a war than to get them to join an already existing conflict? I'd want more gold to throw the first punch than to join the scrum. ;)

Heh. We clearly look at this in a different way. This is how I look at it:

In the first case, I am planning a joint attack. It's two of us against one, and we are both choosing to do it - I assess the chances of victory, and put a price on my involvement.

In the second case, the Drox are already involved. If they are having the upper hand, why are they asking for my help? They must have a hidden reason, a long-term plan, and they better pay me for my cooperation. If they are not having the upper hand, then they need my help, and they better pay for it.

And if you are not convinced, look at it this way. The Drox can ALWAYS turn case one in to case two: they attack on their own, and then ask the other party to join. So the race can never get that high bribe they are asking for anyway.

Laivasse
08-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Are you saying the that the bottom three options work for you? They have never worked for me. I mean, I do not get the rumor bar, and I do not get a success or failure message. It may be that my installation is messed up.

Can you please let me know?Very interesting you said this. I was sure they worked for me, personally, but I tested it anyway just in case there was a quirk in a recent patch.

Turns out that ONE of the bottom options, the quick negative rumour, doesn't work for me! The other two do, however. It's possible that I simply never noticed one of the buttons was broken, because I use the two more expensive options all the time.

Shadow
08-12-2013, 02:12 PM
0) Quest experience is too easy to control exactly when you get it thus it's easy to abuse.

1) It sounds like you and Laivasse have located a bug.

2) Good question, I'm not sure why it works out like that.

3) Some of the races are more adventurous than others.

4) They aren't necessarily too powerful, but yes many components only exist within a certain level range.

5) I'll look at the Big Bang.

6) Killing ancient races giving legend/fear points is a recent change. It might make sense to do it for the monster races also.

7) I'll look at active thrusters. It would be nice to allow them to go past 200, but I'm not sure if that is feasible or not.

8) I think I meant for those to be scavenger only components.

Tuidjy
08-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the answers! I have said it before, but it's really great to see a game being improved at the pace at which you take care of Drox Operative.

About 0... I absolutely agree that it would be too easy to level crew members that have not stood their watch by slotting them right before you turn in the quests. But it is a real pain in the ass not to be able to solve quests without crippling you crew. Sometimes, you really need to turn in the quests, because your allies need that infestation stopped, or that planet terraformed.

Would it be possible to have a 'clandestine' way of turning quests? You get no experience, because no one hears about your exploits, and the monetary reward (if any) is a fraction of what it should be, because you do not want a money trail, and there is obviously no relation boost. But at least the quest gets done, and your crew is not left in the dust.

As it is now, by level 75, one "Kill Boss" quest can give you more experience that killing 30 bosses, or hundreds of normal monsters.