PDA

View Full Version : Patch 1.021 - Drox Guild Involvement Comments

PixelLord
08-31-2013, 11:47 AM
This thread is for comments regarding a new feature for IotA. As a new feature, your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated as well as just plain needed!

With patch 1.021 Shadow has added an "Advanced Option" on the "Set Up Sector" screen for the level of "Drox Guild Involvement". A setting of Minimal is basically "off" (no change from previous patches) with various other settings each increasing the chance that the Drox Guild will command you to complete mandatory quests in order to win a sector.

Upon the Drox Guild offering (offering is really the wrong word as all are mandatory!) a quest, a Drox icon will flash on the screen. There may also be a timer if it is a timed quest. And timed quests start when the quest appears, not when you actually accept it. In patch 1.021, Shadow has intentionally given excess time to complete any quests, and these times will be adjusted down based on player input to more challenging levels.

Clicking on the icon will reveal the Drox Guild Quest screen from which you can "Accept" the quest (Clicking Accept is rather a moot point since all quests are mandatory to win the sector - but for now I believe it's necessary to have an open quest slot on your Quests screen in order to Accept it). Upon Accepting it, the quest will appear on your Quests list (taking up a slot).

when making comments, it would be helpful to list your ship level and other options especially pacing, sector size, and Drox involvement level. Thanks in advance for your help.

With a new ship, Tiny sector, and Heavy Drox Involvement; my first quest from the Drox took 45 minutes to appear (activate all Jump Gates). I was given 1.5 hours to complete the task. I already had 4/5 jump gates activated. I completed the quest 4 minutes after it first appeared.

Same ship (level 8), new Tiny sector, Heavy; Eventually get timed (1.5 hours) Drox Quest to make Dryad not the most powerful race (they were at the time). Completed this quest in about 10 minutes.

Same ship (level 12), new Tiny sector, Heavy; Got a timed (1.5 hours) Drox Quest to "Destroy the Fringe". At the time the Fringe were the most powerful, and I had made significant progress in improving relations. Completed quest in about 15-20 minutes.

Same ship (level 15), new Tiny sector, Heavy; 15 minutes into the sector I get a Drox quest "No Diplomatic Win". I was in a strong position for this type of win (2 races and I have Mutual Protection Pacts). This quest is not timed. I finally complete this quest after 1.2 hours by achieving a Fear win.

General Comments:

No sense of urgency yet based on excessive time allowed to complete quests.
Need better in-game description of how Drox Involvement Quest system works.
"No Diplomatic Win" quest gives me nothing for completing it (other than allowing me to win the sector) - this was the hardest quest for me to complete so it seems to me there should be some XP and credits reward.

RoboAV
08-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Level 33 cortex ship. Tiny sector, early development, using the same galaxy as the previous game. Lost the sector within about 15 minutes. I don't know why.
The Drox quest was to open all the starlanes. Note the discrepancy between the two countdown timers. Also, the size and placement of the timers is a bit obnoxious.

http://s988.photobucket.com/user/AbeVigoda/media/ss0009.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0

Axegrinder
08-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh dear.... This is going to make hardcore even more fun!

RoboAV
08-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Level 7 Lithosoid ship. 6 races, early developement, new galaxy, heavy Drox involvement. Have more than enough money for an economic win, but the Drox quest to protect the Dryads for X amount of time is at 50 minutes and counting down.

50 minutes to twiddle my thumbs.

Don't like having a visible timer on my screen at all times, much less 2 of them displaying the same information.

Bluddy
08-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Level 7 Lithosoid ship. 6 races, early developement, new galaxy, heavy Drox involvement. Have more than enough money for an economic win, but the Drox quest to protect the Dryads for X amount of time is at 50 minutes and counting down.

50 minutes to twiddle my thumbs.

Don't like having a visible timer on my screen at all times, much less 2 of them displaying the same information.

Protecting a race for X amount of time is probably not a great Drox quest. Much like the loathed 'protect our planet for X time' quest.

Bluddy
08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
PixelLord, how did you defeat the Fringe so fast?

PixelLord
08-31-2013, 10:15 PM
PixelLord, how did you defeat the Fringe so fast?

SPOILEr ALERT!

I spread rumors (negative) so that everyone declared war on them. Then let nature take iit's course. I was surprised how quickly the Fringe met their demise.

RoboAV
09-01-2013, 12:17 AM
I've played 4 or 5 tiny sectors with heavy Drox involvement and I have to say that I don't like what it does to the gameplay. As soon as a quest pops up, you have one big timer on the screen, then two timers once you accept. I can only think the reason for multiple timers is that you might get multiple quests handed down from Drox High Command... which would then mean 3 or more timers? Beyond the screen clutter it creates, just having that countdown creates an imperative to do that quest and that quest became what I was doing. I was no longer evaluating the situation or making choices about how to proceed through the sector. The Drox Quests became a linear path that I could not ignore.

Everything in Drox is timed already, but with subtlety. I know that quest to Find Plans isn't going to hang around for long, the planet handing out any given quest might die or the race takes care of Cannibal the Superboss before I can. None of that wonderful complication invoves a timer that is randomly imposed on the game world rather than being a part of it.

You cannot finish a sector without doing these quests, but the reward for them does not significantly move you toward that goal. If the quest tells you that making an alliance between Draak and Human is the key to this sector, then forming that alliance should catapult you towards victory.

The quests feel like artificial barriers rather than adding to the experience. My apologies for being so negative about this feature, but I really didn't like the way it made me feel led by the nose the entire time I played.

I would rather see the optional Drox quests be given more weight by using large amounts of Fear, Legend or Economic points as rewards rather than- or in addition to- chests.

Bluddy
09-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Thinking about some of the feedback here, I'd say we want as few Drox quests as possible to involve timers, just as the towns in DC don't have a survival timer. The 'timer' part should usually be an organic part of circumstances that threaten the quest victory conditions. Timers also, as RoboAV mentioned, force completely focusing on the Drox missions, when in reality you want to give the player space to figure out how he can both solve the Drox missions and his open goals for the sector.

For example, a quest to destroy a race, or to make a race lose power (as mentioned by PixelLord) -- these quests don't necessarily need to be on a timer. The timer could be used internally to decide when the Drox come up with a new objective perhaps, but in my mind at least, the Drox guild quests are supposed to give you more fleshed out end goals rather than immediate things to do quickly most of the time. Sometimes the Drox guild's goals will cause tension, and sometimes they won't -- and that's ok. For example, getting an alliance between 2 races doesn't necessarily need to be on a timer. Sometimes it will be extremely easy to accomplish, and won't be tense at all. Other times the two races will be sworn enemies, or one will be close to being wiped out, in which case the situation will be far more tense. The one exception to this that I think requires a timer is exploring the galaxy, which contains no possibility for tension at all as far as I can see unless it's on a timer.

One way to improve the 'protect race Y for X time' mission is to have the protection of a race as a bonus goal: so long as the quest is in effect, you can keep doing whatever you were doing, but make sure that this race is kept alive. In this case, it would be useful to hide the timer for the quest. It wouldn't be necessary though to finish the quest to win ie. so long as the race is alive, you can win by any of the victory conditions.

It's worth checking out how a leading race was destroyed purely by turning everybody against it. Can this be done consistently? Is the race AI not reacting properly to declarations of war by other races? I think this is great if it works once in a while, but should definitely not work consistently.

Bluddy
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I just got a 'make Dryad the most powerful race' quest when I haven't even met Dryad yet, though I've met the other 4 inhabitants of the sector. I think this is really cool -- it makes me have to think about the endgame and how to progress already, and I feel like I already have a stake in the game.

In terms of the counter, a flashing icon is always a bad idea -- the icon definitely should not flash. Secondly, I probably don't need to see the seconds of the timer -- they're almost as distracting as the flashing icon. Hours and minutes are enough.

I think it does make sense to have this quest be on a timer, though I got 2 hours, which is probably too much. I also think that if the timer is made less distracting, this is a pretty awesome addition to the game.

A more interesting quest though, IMO, is to *keep* race X as the most powerful race. This quest would not display a timer -- it would be in effect as long as the quest is active. In this case, you'd have to make sure that race X, which is the leading race, remains powerful, which means your goal is to keep the other races down while not necessarily destroying them. Taking the time to destroy any one race could allow another race to take the lead, which would make you lose if the goal is still in effect.

PixelLord
09-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Would it be best if the flashing Drox icon appeared only until you clicked on and accepted a Drox quest? After you accept it, the icon disappears; the quest then appears on your quest list, and this will be where a timer, if any, will be displayed? Or maybe the timer would only appear on the main screen (less obtrusively) when time is about to run out?

BTW, I've never had 2 timers on my screen even though everyone else is reporting that. So I don't know what's up with that.
(edit) I was wrong on the 2 timers. I guess I hadn't clicked the Accept button on the others. Yes, the second one of those timers needs to go away. In the meantime, you can go to your Quests screen and Decline the Drox Quest to make the second timer go away.

PixelLord
09-01-2013, 11:15 AM
And as far as the "Destroy the Fringe" quest; there were 4 races. 2 were already at war with the Fringe (who was the most powerful). The 3rd race was in second place with a treaty (Mutual Protection Pact?). I had to prevent that other race from allying with the Fringe or I was doomed.

So negative rumors seemed the logical choice. Of course, I could have chosen other methods (such as declaring war myself), but rumors seemed the most logical choice based on how the sector was faring. Had the Fringe been a weaker race, I might have chosen a different method. I did like the premise of having to size up the situation and determine the best way to proceed. Had I declared war on the Fringe, I may have lost that sector, but maybe not. It certainly would have been a very different experience.

wrestless
09-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Just a general comment to say that I like this new Drox Guild Quest feature. :)

I frequently ignored the "Bonus Orders" as the extra reward chest wasn't enough incentive for me. The Drox Guild Quests are much more interesting and motivating. I agree the GUI with the dual timers is not ideal, but I imagine that will be polished in future updates. And the Protect quest is a bit of a drag. But from what I've seen so far, I will be playing with heavy Drox Guild involvement form now on because I enjoy the extra challenge and direction it brings to the game.

One thought I had was, is it possible to get conflicting Bonus Orders and Drox Guild Quests? (e.g. a Bonus Order to destroy Fringe and a Guild Quest to protect Fringe.) Maybe the Bonus Orders should be phased out?

wrestless
09-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Would it be best if the flashing Drox icon appeared only until you clicked on and accepted a Drox quest? After you accept it, the icon disappears
Yes, this does sound better to me. Once you have accepted a Drox quest (and have yet to complete it), the Drox flashing icon does not seem to serve any purpose, so it is just a distraction.

the quest then appears on your quest list, and this will be where a timer, if any, will be displayed? Or maybe the timer would only appear on the main screen (less obtrusively) when time is about to run out?
I think the timer seems unnecessary at the moment because the time limits are so generous. I imagine that if the time allowances are tightened in future updates, having the timer on the main screen may be very useful. (And it may add to the feeling or tension/urgency. :))

Could the timer be togglable? (Then players who prefer a less cluttered screen can turn it off.)

Bluddy
09-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Would it be best if the flashing Drox icon appeared only until you clicked on and accepted a Drox quest? After you accept it, the icon disappears; the quest then appears on your quest list, and this will be where a timer, if any, will be displayed? Or maybe the timer would only appear on the main screen (less obtrusively) when time is about to run out?

BTW, I've never had 2 timers on my screen even though everyone else is reporting that. So I don't know what's up with that.

I actually didn't even realize you had to accept the quest. Maybe that's why it kept flashing? I don't think you need to accept the quest -- it should just automatically be activated.

I like your idea of the timer disappearing until, say, 5 minutes are left. It could even be left up to the user to determine at how which point he wanted to see the timer. Ideally I'd like to see a timer that doesn't show seconds until the last minute though, because it's an unneeded distraction.

In terms of where the quests belong on the UI, I feel like they belong on the Drox mission screen together with the bonus goals. You could have a mini-quest screen just for the Drox quests right above the bonus goals -- the rest of the screen is just scrolling text anyway, so that part could be reduced. Perhaps the quests could ALSO be mirrored in the regular quest log, since they're so important.

PixelLord
09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I actually didn't even realize you had to accept the quest. Maybe that's why it kept flashing? I don't think you need to accept the quest -- it should just automatically be activated.

Yes, I've already mentioned to Shadow that it's a bit awkward how it's set up right now, which is why everyone's opinions are important to get it right. Drox quests need an open Quest slot right now, I think; so, if all the Quest screen slots are full, you can't accept it (though it really doesn't make any difference).

I like the idea of putting the Drox Quests on the Drox page as you suggested. Then they wouldn't take up a slot on the Quests screen. I'd consider making the little Drox icon (between the win and lose buttons) flash or pulsate as well to draw attention to it.

PixelLord
09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Timers also, as RoboAV mentioned, force completely focusing on the Drox missions, when in reality you want to give the player space to figure out how he can both solve the Drox missions and his open goals for the sector.

Just had a sector like that. "Destroy the Cortex". While focusing on that, I inadvertently let the Talon take over the sector!

It's worth checking out how a leading race was destroyed purely by turning everybody against it. Can this be done consistently? Is the race AI not reacting properly to declarations of war by other races? I think this is great if it works once in a while, but should definitely not work consistently.

Uh, it definitely does NOT work consistently. I had a "Destroy the Cortex" quest (who were in 3rd place at the time), and even after getting everyone at war with them, they still became the most powerful. I finally had to go to war with them myself and barely defeated them. Shortly after defeating them, I had to work on defeating Talon who were tough as nails and all seemed lost. I was just about to give up on winning that sector, when I got a Fear win.

Bluddy
09-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Just had a sector like that. "Destroy the Cortex". While focusing on that, I inadvertently let the Talon take over the sector!

That's actually pretty cool!

I'm not certain yet about my feedback regarding timers. They might actually be really good, especially once the UI handles them better. So ignore the comments I made about timers until I have a better sense of them (especially once they're less intrusive).

Bluddy
09-01-2013, 07:43 PM
J
Uh, it definitely does NOT work consistently. I had a "Destroy the Cortex" quest (who were in 3rd place at the time), and even after getting everyone at war with them, they still became the most powerful. I finally had to go to war with them myself and barely defeated them. Shortly after defeating them, I had to work on defeating Talon who were tough as nails and all seemed lost. I was just about to give up on winning that sector, when I got a Fear win.

Good to know. That makes your previous experience using rumors much cooler. I hope it cost a lot of money to get everybody to go to war with them though. It feels like it should. In general, I'd much rather see this kind of thing accomplished via gameplay actions like subverting gift quests/diplomat quests than by dumping cash on everybody.

For example, it would be cool if you could mark a diplomat ship on the map, and then bring over monsters to destroy it. I think I'll make a different post about this.

BTW How was a fear win possible, when the Drox guild quest is mandatory?

PixelLord
09-01-2013, 08:34 PM
The Fear win occurred shortly after I completed the Drox quest, "Destroy the Cortex".

PixelLord
09-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Ship level 19, Tiny Sector, Heavy Involvement. 5 minutes into a new sector I got a Drox quest to make the Fringe the most powerful. 5 minutes after that, the quest was completed (Fringe got there on their own). I have not even encountered the Fringe yet.

PixelLord
09-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Level 33 cortex ship. Tiny sector, early development, using the same galaxy as the previous game. Lost the sector within about 15 minutes. I don't know why.
The Drox quest was to open all the starlanes. Note the discrepancy between the two countdown timers. Also, the size and placement of the timers is a bit obnoxious.

http://s988.photobucket.com/user/AbeVigoda/media/ss0009.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0

If this isn't some sort of bug, it might be that somehow the loss resulted from the destruction of the Brunt since that's the last entry in the text events. I'm wondering if the Drox Guild had given a second quest (like "Protect the Brunt" or "Make the Brunt the most powerful"). This might also account for the timers having 2 different times. The win/lose screens would have had that information, but I'm sure that sector is long gone now.

Tuidjy
09-03-2013, 02:20 AM
I have also seen two mismatched timers for the same quest. And I made sure there was only one Guild quest. I had saved and quit before I noticed the discrepancy, so it may be a result of incorrect initialization during reloading.

PixelLord
09-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Drox Guild Quests and Drox Bonus Orders can get a little conflicting.

Drox High Command Bonus Orders:

Destroy the Dryad
get Shadow and Lithosoid to ally
start a war between Human and Lithosoid.

Drox Guild mandatory quest:

Build an alliance between Dryad and Lithosoid.

Guess I need to:

Get Dryad to ally with Lithosoid (mandatory)
Then get the Dryad to break the treaty (so Lithosoid doesn't immediately declare war on me)
Then destroy the Dryad somehow.
And, along the way, get Human and Lithosoid to go to war, and Shadow and Lithosoid to ally.

My little pea-brain hurts. (And, of course, I can just ignore the Drox High Command's orders if I want)

(edit) BTW, I think Shadow was eliminated by monsters right at the start of this sector (I remember seeing Shadow's icon on the Relations screen). However, now Shadow's icon is gone from the Relations screen, and in it's place is an Ancient race's icon (Rizak). Steven, are eliminated race icons supposed to disappear from the Relations screen? Is this a bug?

CaptainWinky
09-05-2013, 05:34 AM
I like the new Drox Guild quests so far. I ran into a problem just now though.

I'm playing version 1.022. The race resurrection quests have been fixed so I've been doing them whenever possible to unlock more races and make lots of money. In my current sector I resurrected the Rizak. I was about to finish the sector with an economic win but the Drox Guild just gave me a quest to build an alliance between Talon and Rizak. Ancient races will never ally with anyone so there's no way I can win the sector now.

ScrObot
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I got a Drox directive to not win the sector via economic win. I successfully completed the sector with a Diplomatic win, however the Drox quest icon still shows up (next to the flashing "sector won") saying I have outstanding quests, but clicking on it shows that I have no outstanding Drox quests, which was confusing.

I then realized that I had to manually go in and complete/turn in the quest after winning the sector. It makes sense in hindsight, but if possible, I think it'd be better if these type of quests could auto-complete somehow. I almost missed out on a small amount of XP and credits. ;)

Forevener
09-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Level 75 Fringe, Primordial Stew challenge in coop. Got the quest to make an alliance between Overlord and Lithosoid.

1. Overlord declares war to Lithosoid (O-L relations goes to 0).
2. Overlord declares war to Drox Operatives.
3. We're trying to find the Overlords who are not willing to sell jump gate to us.
4. We have found Overlord system, it's crawling with them, too dangerous to stay.
5. Overlord wants all my savings to make peace with us.
6. We're killing all the Overlord enemies except Lithosoid to improve relationship. From 0 to 9...
7. Overlord colonizes one planet in our home system, we're starting to spread massive rumors (O-L relations goes to 50)
8. We're asking Lithosoid to make peace with Overlord.
9. We're proceeding to spread even more rumors. (O-L relations goes to 60)
10. Lithosoid and Overlord have signed non-aggression pact.
11. Even more rumors. (O-L relations goes to 72.5)
12. We're waiting for them to sign mutual protection pact for 3 minutes.
13. Drox Quest time runs out, fail.

Conclusion: we have spent 20 minutes purely for spreading rumors, and lost 25% of savings (me) and 40% (my friend).

Our mistakes:
1. We could use a ceasefire (I forgot about it)
2. We've spent first 15 minutes of Drox Quest to obtain enough Legend points to win

Things I want to change:
There is no way to force races to sign a pact. You just have to wait for indefinite amount of time.

Forevener
09-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Now that's funny. Got same quest for Cyborg and Utopian Rebels in the next challenge (Synthetic Life). Spent 10 minutes waiting for them to sign a Mutual Protection pact (C - UR relations was at 72.5). Failed when timer was at 12:00. Haven't seen Cyborgs or Utopian Rebels destroyed, so it's a bug I suppose.
Alliance quest really needs some tuning.

CaptainWinky
09-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Cyborg is a subrace and all the subraces are tougher to get alliances with. Their relations with UR need to be a little higher, 77 or 78 I think. When Cyborg->UR is at 77 and UR->Cyborg is at 72.5 they'd go for the mutual protection pact.

wrestless
09-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Playing ver. 1.024, I have won 4 galaxies in a row by Legendary Victory without yet seeing one Drox Guild Quest, despite playing on Heavy involvement.

Because I am playing Tiny galaxies with Very Fast Pacing, I think I am winning too soon for a DGQ to be issued. Could the first DGQ be given earlier in the game?

Shadow
09-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Could the first DGQ be given earlier in the game?

It's completely random. Although I think I'm going to bump up the medium and heavy rates some in the next build.

wrestless
09-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks Shadow. I love the randomness. :)
But I would prefer to see more DGQs on the Heavy setting. Maybe the frequency could be somehow tied to the galaxy size, so that there is a higher probability for DGQs to appear in Tiny galaxies to match that shorter/faster gameplay. Or it could be tied to the Pace (Very Fast Pace etc.).
At the moment I rarely get a DGQ but I would like to stick to Tiny galaxies because I prefer short games that I can complete in one sitting.

wrestless
09-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Edited. (Made a mistake.)

Wichtelmann
01-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I haven't played Drox Operative for almost a year i think, so when i started it up a week ago some things were new to me. Like the new Drox Guild involvement option on galaxy creation.

If i may share my oppinion on it:

I hate it.

A lot.

I played two games. In my first one, after roughly four hours of playtime i got told to make the humans the strongest race in the sector- in 60 Minutes. Problem was, neither i nor any other race had discovered the humans yet and everyone was allied with each other. So i equipped my best Thruster and just flew through one system after another for 60 minutes (which was boring to say the least) to finally get the game over screen. Great.

In my second game i went for an alliance with the shadows and waged war against the scavengers. Then after five hours in i suddenly got the message: Destroy the shadows in 60 minutes or lose.
I did everything i could but needless to say i could not manage to destroy the strongest race in the sector in just 60 minutes. not even with the help of the scavengers. Again a whole game wasted.

As it is implemented now this new option goes against everything that Drox Operative is about and that is IMO freedom of choice.
Not only does it force you to play one way and only one way for 60 minutes, it also completely destroys any wish in me to make plans for the sector before it hits. Why go through all the trouble to befriend a race if only seconds later i could be ordered to destroy it?

But the worst part about it is that its switched on by default. Those first two games i lost i didnt even know it was on before looking it up on the forum.

In my opinion this should be off by default and described by a tooltip as an additional way for experienced players to get the challenge they crave for.

Now i started a new sector with Drox Guild Involvement switched to "minimal". I sincerly hope this game won't be finished by a game over screen just because i did not manage to fulfill some ridiculous difficult and randomized goal.

So yeah, my first post on this board is a rant. But i just had to post this because i think Drox Operative is an absolute blast to play and this new "feature", as it is implemented now, makes the whole game worse in every possible way.

PixelLord
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
I agree that Drox Involvement should be set to "Minimal" as the default. Hope it changes soon.

Tuidjy
01-27-2014, 06:07 PM
I tried it.
I realized that I hated it.
I made sure that I could handle it.
I wrote a rant about it.
I turned it off.

It was months ago. I had forgotten about it. I recommend you do the same.

Wichtelmann
01-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I tried it.
I realized that I hated it.
I made sure that I could handle it.
I wrote a rant about it.
I turned it off.

It was months ago. I had forgotten about it. I recommend you do the same.

Yeah, i did exactly that. Sorry for my rant.

Still im wondering what the idea behind the implementation of this new option was and why its switched on by default. Pretty much all the players who are new to the game will encounter the same problems as i did.

How is forcing a randomized and timed game over condition on the player enhancing the gaming experience in a game like this? Boggles my mind.

euler
02-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I've got to say, I like the idea of the Guild Quests, but in my experience, they're just no fun. In fact, they're anti-fun. Recently, I've had:

Activate all jump gates in the sector. This one came about 15 minutes into a game in a huge sector. I was playing online with 2 of my friends, and even spending every credit we had on speed boosts, we couldn't do it in the hour time limit.
Defend [rebel race with 1 planet and 1 ship that you've never met]. A minute later, game over. I didn't even have enough time to fly to the nearest jump gate.

Or maybe reconsider the penalty for failure? Perhaps a fine, a penalty to legend, fear, and your relations with all civs, and put some "Failed Drox Quest" marker on your victory tab that keeps you from any victories until you complete another Drox Quest?

It's really kinda terrible to be in the middle of a sector that you've spent a ton of time building up, and have to bail on it because some Pointy-Haired Drox decided that he needs to do some CYA and pawn an impossible mission on his subordinate to improve his end-of-quarter numbers or whatever. At least let us keep playing in that system, even at a major penalty.

Icebox Man
02-20-2014, 10:54 PM
In my new game as lithosoid, set for *minimal* involvement, I had 2 mandatory quests that were completely contrary to how I had been leveraging my game play. This is minimal involvement?
Can I get a *no* involvement option in settings? With the humans far ahead of everyone else, I was given 30 minutes to weaken them or lose the game. Needless to say, I lost. I spent over 5 hours playing this round and the multiple mandatory quests made what was once a very fun game into a chore. I can appreciate a challenge but I liked that I was, at one point, actually given a choice to set my difficulty setting. This makes the expansion an exercise in dread, since even at minimal settings I can get multiple mandatory quests.

icebox Man

Shadow
02-21-2014, 10:05 AM
That shouldn't be happening in minimal. In minimal the Drox should only give bonus commands.

Tuidjy
02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
I must have played 100s of sectors at minimal involvement, and have not once had a compulsory quest. It's very likely that Icebox Man's sector was generated with a higher setting.

ebarstad
02-21-2014, 03:36 PM
EDIT: I'm an idiot. I was playing on "Light" not "Minimal". So sorry for the false report.