PDA

View Full Version : Ideas: Item Converter & Other Drox

Catweazle
09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Some features which I think would be cool to have:

1) Matter-Energy converter for transmuting the piles of useless items into boosts. Putting items into the device will fill a meter, when it reaches 100% you get one boost item. You can find better converters for higher level boost items.
Useful for cleaning up the sector and when you have no immediate access to a friendly planet. For balance purposes boost items bought at a planet should remain cheaper than the total worth of the recycled items placed into the device.

2) Expand on Drox Operatives in the form of competition (optional): If turned on, an opposing Drox Operative will try to push a race to victory. If he succeeds you will lose the sector.
He will do quests for his race of choice, protect its colonies, spread rumours about you amongst the other races, or even attack the other races to accomplish his goal. It becomes even more difficult when the Drox High Command orders you to keep the opposing Operative's race alive.
These Drox are not only a lot stronger than most monsters, but also more intelligent. If he is at a disadvantage he will try to flee (he can use the Jump Gates to travel). Just like you, destroying his ship will not kill him, only delay him for a few minutes. However, he may eventually decide to leave the sector and admit defeat.

3) A better overview of your Fighters: When you have multiple Fighter Bays installed it can become a chore to keep track of which ones died. Adding a counter (E.G. 2/3 - two of three etc.) will help a lot. Collapse/Expand functionality to group them together (showing only the fighter with lowest health or an overall average health) would also be nice.

Forevener
09-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Second idea is really interesting. Depths of Peril...
Also why only one competitor? Let us have all of them!

Tyrax Lightning
09-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Why would the Drox Guild want its Operatives at each others throats...? Wouldn't that make it a bit hard to get Drox Work done & keep the Profits rolling in to the Drox Command's pockets...? ;)

I wonder if some of us are forgetting what the Drox Operatives's objective is...? The Drox Operatives's objective is to continually work toward being feared, respected, & filthy stinking rich. :cool:

Bluddy
09-09-2013, 07:26 PM
I think the idea of Drox operatives working against each other is cool, but the AI would be very very hard to do right. Can the AI do things in the galaxy as easily as you can? If so, it should be able to instigate wars fairly easily via rumors, trade etc. Eventually you'd feel as if you're not having any effect whatsoever on the sector.

I do think this could work well in multiplayer though, by giving different players possibly different Drox Guild missions. In this case, there's no AI to create. The players don't even need to be able to directly fight each other -- they just work for their own missions behind the scenes.

As to why the Drox Guild wants to pit Drox operatives against each other -- a good narrative reason is always one explanation away. For example: they need to test who the ultimate operative is; they place bets on different operatives winning; they have conflicts among themselves etc etc.

Forevener
09-09-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure too if more than one operative in the sector fits into lore well. But it sounds quite fun.
And about programming - Steve have something similar in Depths Of Peril already.

Catweazle
09-10-2013, 12:32 AM
I like that you brought it up Tyrax Lightning; it is good stuff to think about.

- It might be an Operative that went rogue or something? Power corrupts: If you can destroy entire sectors, why would you listen to the Guild?
- Or the other way around; perhaps you have become so powerful that the Guild is afraid of you and wants you out of the picture.
- I also like Bluddy's suggestions of the Guild having ulterior motives.

PS: Added one more suggestion.

Tyrax Lightning
09-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Actually, there is already a way to track how many Fighters ya got out... next time ya got a Fleet of Fighters out, look to the right of your Structure/Armor/Shields Bars for a Laser Lookin Symbol with a Number next to it... that tells ya how many ya got out atm, & ya can also click it to change between Fighters aggressively attacking everything with Red Structure/Armor/Shield Bars & a defensive mode that makes them only attack what attacks you first. ;)

Or were ya talkin about something else...?

I have to admit that it IS getting a little more tempting to go AWOL... the Lvl 100 Challenge is totally kicking my ass in its new state... I can't seem to defeat it. :(

Catweazle
09-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Actually, there is already a way to track how many Fighters ya got out... next time ya got a Fleet of Fighters out, look to the right of your Structure/Armor/Shields Bars for a Laser Lookin Symbol with a Number next to it... that tells ya how many ya got out atm, & ya can also click it to change between Fighters aggressively attacking everything with Red Structure/Armor/Shield Bars & a defensive mode that makes them only attack what attacks you first. ;)

Or were ya talkin about something else...?

Yes that is useful for the total amount of fighters, however let's say I have 1 LVL30 Fighter Bay (3 max), 1 LVL31 Fighter Bay (3 max) and 1 LVL31 Raider Bay (4 max) installed.
Every time a ship dies I have to look at the long list of fighters and count/check which ones are missing. The fact that the order constantly changes makes it even worse, forcing me to pause during a heavy fight.
It's not that big of a deal, but sorting the type of fighters under a +/- collapse-expand button and showing (current/max) for each one will give a much better overview.

Tyrax Lightning
09-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes that is useful for the total amount of fighters, however let's say I have 1 LVL30 Fighter Bay (3 max), 1 LVL31 Fighter Bay (3 max) and 1 LVL31 Raider Bay (4 max) installed.
Every time a ship dies I have to look at the long list of fighters and count/check which ones are missing. The fact that the order constantly changes makes it even worse, forcing me to pause during a heavy fight.
It's not that big of a deal, but sorting the type of fighters under a +/- collapse-expand button and showing (current/max) for each one will give a much better overview.
Ahh, I see what ya mean now. I tend to have only different kinds of Fighter Bays equipped at once, so this never occurred to me before. A good point. :)

Now that I think about it, it would also be cool if there were Heavy Slot Components for each kinda Fighter Bay Type that added max count of fighters out at a time to an existing Fighter Bay of the same Type instead of needing a 2nd Bay... for example, a "Bomber Bay Expansion Slot" that enabled an Equipped Bomber Bay to have 2 Bombers out at once instead of 1, then ya would only need the Bomber Bay in a Hotbar Slot to pop 2 Bombers out, instead of having to use 2 Hotbar Slots for 2 different Bomber Bays to have 2 Bombers out at once. :)

I dunno how feasible such stuff is though, for either of our ideas...